Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Stubborn Detective and Elder Signs

Stubborn Detective Elder Sign

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

So this came up and I wasn't sure how to resolve it.  If my investigator is engaged with a Stubborn Detective and on my skill check I pull an Elder Sign what happens?

Is the Elder Sign Ability part of the text box?  If it is blanked what value does an Elder Sign have on the skill check?  How does that skill check resolve?

I already submitted the question to FFG, but I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this scenario and if they figured out how to resolve it?

Gaffa

Gaffa

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Yes, your Elder Sign ability is part of your text box. Yes, the Stubborn Detective blanks that too.

As with anything else in the game that's blanked but you need a value of it, the value of the Elder Sign becomes zero. So you got a +0, which is still pretty good compared to most CHAOS Bags!!!

• phillosmaster likes this

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Where is that described?  I don't see that in the rules for Blank or Base Value.

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1442 posts

Greetings!

If a value is ever undefined for whatever reason, you may treat it as 0. Typically this happens with “X” values where the definition of X is not applicable, but it can happen in cases like this as well. So yes, if you blank the Swamp Leech’s text box, you may evade it as normal (with an evade of 0), or use card effects to automatically evade it.

Matthew Newman

• phillosmaster likes this

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

That was the answer I got as well for this situation.

Hello Mathew!

While you are at the same location as Stubborn Detective, your investigator’s text box is treated as if it were blank. This includes your investigator’s elder sign effect. If you draw an elder sign effect while your text box is blank, it has no modifier and no effects, so it is essentially treated as if it were a "0" token.

Cheers,

------------------------------------------------
Matthew Newman
Associate LCG Designer
Fantasy Flight Games

Rules Question:
In Arkham Horror The Card Game if I am engaged with a Stubborn Detective and I draw an Elder Sign from the Chaos bag while making a skill check what happens? Is the Elder Sign Ability part of the Investigator's text box? Does the Stubborn Detective blank that Elder Sign Ability text? If so what value does the Elder Sign have on that skill check? How does the skill check get resolved?