Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Star Wars LCG Demo Decks - Community Driven Tool

- - - - - Demo Decks Resource Community

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

darthbs

darthbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1057 posts
Hi Everyone

Ever since I've been playing the game there's always been a thread/debate on how and what you could demo the game with.

A thread started in the UK FB group once again challenged this concept of what demo decks to use.

I feel we as community need to come to a decision as what we agree are the best LS Vs DS demo decks to show the game off. I feel if we could create this as a tool resource we could save ourselves and many new players some time into getting into the game without having to start threads each time (even though I know we like a good natter)

Now I know this can cause a split in opinion and there's many directions we can go but from what I know. Many players who try to introduce this game to friends usually get one shot at doing it.

Also there's that jumping in point, a new player is most likely to fall into 2 categories either they just picked up the core or they are likely being shown by one of us how to play.

Now we could take this in 2 directions.

I think we sort of know from years gone what's the best core decks to play even if it's just the pre set decks the game tells you to use.

However I think for the most immersive and rewarding experience we need to come up with 2 overall decks with the current card pool that you would introduce a player too.

So that's the challenge, we converse and design the best 2 community demo decks that we think best represent the game mechanics.

Set aside your differences on fringe mechanics, jank and archetypes that the game can offer and concentrate on what needs to be shown, that provide understanding and overall a good play experience.

Once we have these deck lists we could add them to the resource tool and point people in that direction.

So an idea like this needs a bit of organisation.

I will create 2 further posts after this, one for LS and one for DS.

Based on comments and feedback I will edit the posts as the decks evolve.

From there we can get a consensus on the decks and eventually I hope come towards two overall decks that when played against each other give you the best demo experience.

Even if it fails it would be a good experiment to see what happens.

I hope you find it fun and helpful and hopefully we can create something that the community as a whole can use.
  • tsgstarwars and RTLixnigAnnound like this

darthbs

darthbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1057 posts
LS Deck

darthbs

darthbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1057 posts
DS Deck

MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1623 posts

I think this is a great idea, but would like to add that maybe there be multiple categories at least taking into consideration the investment level of someone demoing the game, and potentially even across the various factions. 

It might seem a tad aggressive, but I think an overall better product(s) would result.

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts
The Shadow Archive has a really detailed article on this.

https://theshadowarc...hing-star-wars/
  • DavFlamerock likes this

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2208 posts
I usually ask what they would like to play. Then make a deck around that. Personally my first time playing was a LS Hoth vehicle deck and I hated it cuz using a random Speeder tank wasn't fun for me, then I tried a DS Sith deck after that game and fell in love with it all.

darthbs

darthbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1057 posts

The Shadow Archive has a really detailed article on this.

https://theshadowarc...hing-star-wars/

I remember that Dav had wrote something, thanks for pointing it out.

I realise that there are multiple ways this could potentially turn out and thus might not be as simple as it first seems.

However we generally seem to always debate the same issues. Should that first game be faction dependent, if so we are going to need 6 or more decks to cover all bases. Should it be themed?

Is it these type of points that cause us to have a conundrum of an issue when thinking about showing the game off.

I also understand there is a buying in point. I think when I came up with the idea in my head it was from the point of view of an experienced player who had access to most of the card pool. What could they produce that would best demo the game?

My thoughts were that the likely hood was that the 2 decks we would come up with would likely have older cards in it but could having access to the entire pool create something better.

Now it's been a long while since I read Dav's article so sorry in advance if I tread on all ready written ground.

But my vision was that the bases of the 2 decks should be to show off the main mechanics of the game as laid out in the core.

So we should have a mix of units, characters and vehicles that do a mix of guns, blast and tactics.

We should have an even spread of, enhancements,events and fate cards.

We cover the basic keywords, elite, Targeted Strike, Sheilding, Edge etc.

Explain resource management and requirements if matching.

The fundamentals of edge battles can be explained with a key fate card being twist of fate being a prime example.

Things like capturing and Piloting etc while can be explained shouldn't be introduced in the first game.

With these key points in mind I envisioned a mono sith deck from the early days vs a 2 faction LS falcon Suoerfriends/Jedi deck.

This seems to cover a lot of the key components. However what is the best build that can be achieved (if these 2 deck types are the most likely candidates) and are there any new sets that better demonstrate what we are trying to achieve?

Overall my main point was take this as if you only have one game and one game only to get this right (disregarding the type of player your attempting to demo too). What would be the best showcase demo deck to show a stranger to the game?

Gamer257

Gamer257

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
For me, I feel that your very first.game should be Jedi versus Sith. Luke/Yoda vs. Vader/Palpatine. Jedi Mind trick vs. Force Choke. Just my two cents.

DavFlamerock

DavFlamerock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts

I think if you had to take away only one thing from the article (don't want to rehash here), it would be this: success and failure for teaching this game (well, teaching anything really) is to cater to your audience. I included six different demo sets in my article for explicitly that reason: you want to engage any new players in as many ways as possible, and making them play with the part of Star Wars that speaks most to them is a big part of that. Strictly speaking, I wouldn't recommend any "in theory" demo decks, because you want to leverage the Star Wars theme as much as possible... and Star Wars is many different things to many different people.

For example, I would be far more interested in a deck that featured Kyle, Qu Rahn, and the Crow than I would a deck that featured Obi-Wan and Yoda... but at the same time, most other people would be turned off by such a deck. To me, and many of my friends Star Wars is at least as much the EU as it is the original trilogy, perhaps even more so. Likewise, you couldn't get me to care about Smugglers or Scum if you tried with all your heart.

That said, if you wanted decks that were truly generic and appealed to a true total stranger, I would suggest either Rebels vs Sith/Navy (the Galactic conflict) or Jedi vs Sith (the moral conflict) as I feel those are the hearts of the Star Wars experience.

Big names are also critical, as you want people to play with the characters they love rather than some 5-second cameo cantina dudes or an EU personality they don't know.

• tsgstarwars likes this

tsgstarwars

tsgstarwars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

I think if you had to take away only one thing from the article (don't want to rehash here), it would be this: success and failure for teaching this game (well, teaching anything really) is to cater to your audience. I included six different demo sets in my article for explicitly that reason: you want to engage any new players in as many ways as possible, and making them play with the part of Star Wars that speaks most to them is a big part of that. Strictly speaking, I wouldn't recommend any "in theory" demo decks, because you want to leverage the Star Wars theme as much as possible... and Star Wars is many different things to many different people.

For example, I would be far more interested in a deck that featured Kyle, Qu Rahn, and the Crow than I would a deck that featured Obi-Wan and Yoda... but at the same time, most other people would be turned off by such a deck. To me, and many of my friends Star Wars is at least as much the EU as it is the original trilogy, perhaps even more so. Likewise, you couldn't get me to care about Smugglers or Scum if you tried with all your heart.

That said, if you wanted decks that were truly generic and appealed to a true total stranger, I would suggest either Rebels vs Sith/Navy (the Galactic conflict) or Jedi vs Sith (the moral conflict) as I feel those are the hearts of the Star Wars experience.

Big names are also critical, as you want people to play with the characters they love rather than some 5-second cameo cantina dudes or an EU personality they don't know.

If I'd played with Kyle, Thrawn, Tycho/Wes, Talon Karrde, Mirax, Mara..., Jan Ors, Winter (Though some of these sets are pretty weak)

Well, I was already hooked on the game because it's Star Wars, but I would have been even more hooked. And if someone gave me Rebels characters, that would have been an instant turn-off...

MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1623 posts

OP, like the list of basic mechanics. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Demo Decks, Resource, Community