Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I'm the absolute worst at this game...what am I doing wrong?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

reverendanthony

reverendanthony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

My girlfriend and I just finished the core campaign, and we didn't even get CLOSE to beating it. Avoiding specific spoilers, we chose the "easy" (and dark, and really funny) way out of the situation, which has left our characters effectively useless for future games (which I'm kind of fine with if only because that ending was so funny).

Despite the fact that we were specced as a combat-heavy Roland and an investigation-heavy Daisy, we were an act and a half away from winning when Umordoth was summoned, and then basically powerless to do anything but whack him a couple of times and die the second he appeared.

And we were cheating! Like, a lot! If we'd just spent an entire turn fighting a monster and I drew another one, sometimes I'd just mumble to myself and put it away. 

Some stuff I realized after playing that we weren't doing correctly:

- Skill checks can't go below zero

- My Daisy deck didn't have any occult stuff in it (misread the arkhamdb.com UI)

But I don't know if that's enough to explain just how badly we got our butts handed to us nearly every time. Are there any obvious things that first time players get wrong, or some good beginner advice you might have?

Gaffa

Gaffa

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Without more specifics, it's tough to give suggestions. However, the game is not supposed to be entirely easy, and achieving what most would consider the "best" resolution is supposed to be tough.

Samea

Samea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Did you generally have a hard time or did you just fail to win in the last scenario? Because even experienced players will not be able to pull it off every time.

But if you think there is a problem, but don't know how to pin it down, watch other people play online or join other local players. See what others are doing differently. Might be some rule you overlooked, an ability you overlooked or some aspect you did not pay attention to. With a game like this with lots of interlocking rules and moving parts it could be anything.

Or just browse this site or others like ArkhamDB or Blogs like delvetoodeep.wordpress.com for decks other people made and try them out. Often users will have written a short guide about their decks, their reasoning for picking cards or leaving out others and the way the deck is meant to play. If other people beat the game with those decks, you can, too.

kazuki85

kazuki85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

My girlfriend and I just finished the core campaign, and we didn't even get CLOSE to beating it. Avoiding specific spoilers, we chose the "easy" (and dark, and really funny) way out of the situation, which has left our characters effectively useless for future games (which I'm kind of fine with if only because that ending was so funny).

Despite the fact that we were specced as a combat-heavy Roland and an investigation-heavy Daisy, we were an act and a half away from winning when Umordoth was summoned, and then basically powerless to do anything but whack him a couple of times and die the second he appeared.

And we were cheating! Like, a lot! If we'd just spent an entire turn fighting a monster and I drew another one, sometimes I'd just mumble to myself and put it away. 

Some stuff I realized after playing that we weren't doing correctly:

- Skill checks can't go below zero

- My Daisy deck didn't have any occult stuff in it (misread the arkhamdb.com UI)

But I don't know if that's enough to explain just how badly we got our butts handed to us nearly every time. Are there any obvious things that first time players get wrong, or some good beginner advice you might have?

Hey Anthony,

Maybe I can provide you some tips on the last scenario :

1. If you are fixed on beating up Umordhort, ditch Daisy and take Wendy instead as she has better synergy with Roland. Wendy is better at passing skill checks with her survivor cards and her base ability, and can also assist in beating up the big U with the baseball bat or backstab (3 damage rogue card!). Survivor class cards are also good at absorbing damage from the awesome Scavenging card to take back the items from your discard pile that have already absorbed damage/horror, OR thrown for skill checks to assist Roland's Shotgun (highly recommended). She also has access to Leo de Luca which is awesome.

2. Also, Roland needs his Shotgun to deal max damage (assisted with Overpower), and the upgraded Beat Cop to deal as much damage as possible. Remove all the clue generating cards and start to go all out on damage and save the Dodge cards for Umordhort.

If you plan to stop the ritual, it will be a different approach method. :)