Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Darth Vader deck thread

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

In the spirit of other forums, I thought it'd be useful to try to put together some deck threads. The construction of the game makes it hard to categorise decks , but I figure the main determinant is your choice of double-character.

So here's my thoughts on Vader.

This is all very theory-crafty. I have my cards, but I'm now waiting for my buddies to get theirs so I can test it out for real.

Darth Raider

Total Cards: (30)

Character: (30/30)  
2x Darth Vader (Awakenings) 
1x Tusken Raider (Awakenings) 

Ok, so actually I only pulled one Darth in my first box, but I'm going to proxy in a D6 for casual games, and then seek one out on single-card purchasing if the deck turns out okay.
Raider is the same damage type as Darth to keep things nice and focused, and a second colour will help access cheap events.

Battlefield:  
1x Imperial Armory (Awakenings) 

This is a fairly fast deck, as it's two characters with the same damage subtype, plus decent numbers on the dice. Odds of getting and activating battlefield should be decent.

Event: (8)  
2x The Power of the Force (Awakenings) 
2x Enrage (Awakenings) 
2x He Doesn’t Like You (Awakenings) 
2x Intimidate (Awakenings) 

Events are geared around the cost curve.

Support: (2)  
2x It Binds All Things (Awakenings) 

Requires a somewhat heavy commitment in deckbuild, but I can live with that.

Upgrade: (20)  
2x Force Choke (Awakenings) 
2x Force Throw (Awakenings) 
2x Force Training (Awakenings) 
2x Hidden in Shadow (Awakenings) 
2x Kylo Ren’s Lightsaber (Awakenings) 
2x Immobilize (Awakenings) 
2x Lightsaber (Awakenings) 
2x Mind Probe (Awakenings) 
2x Sith Holocron (Awakenings) 
2x Hunker Down (Awakenings) 

Oh look, it's ALL the blue upgrades. Not much choice in this, but I got a deck theme to support.

So the goal here is melee aggro with some light dice control. Should be a straightforwards beatstick deck. Cost curve is"sligh-like", in that all being upgrade based you can climb your way up card costs when you can't afford the best upgrades on the first go. Aim to mulligan to having exactly 2R worth of upgrades to play on turn 1 (or 3R if expecting battlefield activation), and get the rest of the hand having the best chance of discounting. 

Thoughts?

Sleepa

Sleepa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Looks like you're a little heavy on upgrades. Vader and the Raider can only carry three each, so you might want to cut some of the low impact ones for some dice control or damage events. I'm pretty sure most Vader/Raider decks I've seen are playing Backup Muscle as well. That's one of the best damage cards in the game.

• Asklepios likes this

gmac

gmac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Backup Muscle is a must if running a yellow character and I find Gaffi sticks to be useful as well.

devroid

devroid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I've been running eVader/Nightsister mostly cause I love No Mercy so much I wanted to maximize the blue cards potentially in hand. Has worked pretty well, though it can be a bit of a tightrope if your early rolls don't happen. Barely edged out a Vader Raider at the store Sunday, I don't think I will ever not be amused at a Jetpack wearing, Lighsaber swinging, Thermal Detonator flinging Tusken Raider.

PatrickStockton

PatrickStockton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Idiotic that you are posting a proxy decklist you haven't played.

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Glad to have annoyed you. Seriously, it put a smile on my face knowing that you found this to be a negative experience.

• Jarrett, Caldera, TrueMisterSix and 2 others like this

retoxidi

retoxidi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

lol

PatrickStockton

PatrickStockton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry. Poor choice of words. How about instead of "idiotic" I said "bizarre"

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Ah fair enough.

The purpose of this thread is just to discuss the game, and Vader strategies in general, not specifically that deck. Just trying to start some conversation here, and to get a general feel as to what people have found works.

Sleepa's immediate advice, for example, was very handy.

Feel free to post your own Vader deck instead. 

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Anyway, here's two other vader decks I noted recently upped. Theory thoughts welcome please.

By Default 02:

Order by:
Name Type Cost
Total Cards: 30

ByGaytorBro

Sacrificial Troopers for Lord Vader
Order by:
Name Type Cost
Total Cards: 30

ZenClix

ZenClix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

In the spirit of other forums....

If we're going to post in the spirit of other forums, then we really need to have America posting here!

• HoopJones likes this

ZackyMidnight

ZackyMidnight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

I'm messing around with vader e kylo using almost all blue events and upgrades and no mercy.

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Not bad, but I always think that if you're using eKylo and planning mono-blue, may as well go eDooku rather than 1xVader.

ZackyMidnight

ZackyMidnight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Not bad, but I always think that if you're using eKylo and planning mono-blue, may as well go eDooku rathmer than 1xVader.

I think this is probably true. Just seeing how vader goes but will prob switch to edooku ekylo. From a flavor standpoint its hard to justify dooku over darth vader

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

That's okay, the whole fluff premise of destiny is in "what if" match ups.

ZackyMidnight

ZackyMidnight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
I like the feel of mono blue decks, as the card pool gets bigger they will get even more consistent. No mercy and l
Power of the force are awesome closers
  • Jarrett likes this

Jarrett

Jarrett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
I know its not popular but I really like Comlink in Vader/Tusken. The free reroll can save you if you need more hits or change the opponent's dice, and the double focus is more consistent than a datapad. Plus midgame you can ditch it for something more powerful.

ZackyMidnight

ZackyMidnight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

I know its not popular but I really like Comlink in Vader/Tusken. The free reroll can save you if you need more hits or change the opponent's dice, and the double focus is more consistent than a datapad. Plus midgame you can ditch it for something more powerful.

Thats interesting. Two questions. Do you find that comlink slows down your deck, or you dont play it as often as datapad bc of the cost? Do you run both comlink and datapad?

Jarrett

Jarrett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Thats interesting. Two questions. Do you find that comlink slows down your deck, or you dont play it as often as datapad bc of the cost? Do you run both comlink and datapad?

Not so much. It's more of a turn two to three card (whereas Datapad is better earlier). I don't run datapad at the moment because I don't like the double blank sides (unless I'm running Power of the Dark Side). The double focus also helps give what you need at a current moment, be it resources, discards, disruption, or straight damage. You lose a little bit of burst, but against those control matchups, you get what you really need more often.

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Welcome to Asklepios

• Asklepios and Gosgosh like this