Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Darth Vader deck thread

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Ywingscum

Ywingscum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
I like evader and someone to keep him alive. I haven't had time to try it yet (so many cool things to try) but a stormtrooper? Red has lots of ways to divert damage and endless ranks.

Or is the all out agro of evader and a raider just better?

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Not so much. It's more of a turn two to three card (whereas Datapad is better earlier). I don't run datapad at the moment because I don't like the double blank sides (unless I'm running Power of the Dark Side). The double focus also helps give what you need at a current moment, be it resources, discards, disruption, or straight damage. You lose a little bit of burst, but against those control matchups, you get what you really need more often.

I like comlink as well in this and a variety of other decks. Really helps fix your rolls with the focus and reroll on play. I like that you get an effect when you play it, then can just ramp over it.

ikeebear

ikeebear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Elite Jabba + Vader shouldn't be overlooked in discussions of 'what's the best Vader deck'. It's pretty much a hard control build, with an eye on a potential mill victory, so it's quite different to the more aggro-focused decks previously discussed.

For aggro, I marginally prefer Vader Raider, but only because I think Dooku is the better option for pairing with Kylo in the mono-blue build that focuses on big Force powers and No Mercy.

Admittedly, I've never tried Vader with Nightsister or with Stormtrooper(s). I worry about their squishiness in the aggro meta.

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Welcome to Asklepios

To be clear now, I've played Vader/Raider a fair amount now, can't say I've hugely changed it from the initial decklist...

• Ywingscum and Gosgosh like this

HoopJones

HoopJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Welcome to Asklepios

Ah, I was thinking the same thing!

Ywingscum

Ywingscum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

To be clear now, I've played Vader/Raider a fair amount now, can't say I've hugely changed it from the initial decklist...

I know from the Conquest forums your theorizing is always close to the mark!

Your initial decklist has 20 upgrades?  That is high for me, I tend to go around 15 dice cards.  Now that you have some games under your belt, how is your Vader/Raider deck fairing?

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

All in all, I'm less impressed with the character set than I was. I've been a little limited in building my perfect deck by card availability, and I'm still using a proxy Vader dice.

However, broad thoughts:

Upsides:

It's all one damage type.

It's got high average damage per turn.

It's got plenty of cheap dice removal options 

4x redeploy melee upgrades keep us in the game if Vader drops.

Downsides:

Anything less than 4 dice on the table really is very vulnerable to dice removal.

Very thin on focus / dice-setting compared to something like Leia/Ackbar.

Anyway, here's where I am now with it. I admit, yes, it's actually pretty different to the previous build. :)

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Star Wars Destiny Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (30)

Character: (30/30)  
2x Darth Vader (Awakenings) 
1x Tusken Raider (Awakenings) 

Battlefield:  
1x Mos Eisley Spaceport (Awakenings) 

Event: (16)  
2x Electroshock (Awakenings) 
2x Feel Your Anger (Awakenings) 
2x He Doesn’t Like You (Awakenings) 
2x Isolation (Awakenings) 
2x Confiscation (Awakenings) 
2x Deflect (Awakenings) 
2x Disarm (Awakenings) 
2x Force Strike (Awakenings) 

Support: (2)  
2x Backup Muscle (Awakenings) 

Upgrade: (12)  
2x Force Throw (Awakenings) 
2x Gaffi Stick (Awakenings) 
2x Lightsaber (Awakenings) 
2x Flame Thrower (Awakenings) 
2x Force Choke (Awakenings) 
2x Immobilize (Awakenings) 

ikeebear

ikeebear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Well, technically it's not ALL one damage type. Raider has a ranged side and so do a few of force abilities (including Force Throw, which you have included). No modified range sides is a legit PRO, though.

Without Holochron or Hunker Down, I see Mos Eisley as a purely benign battlefield choice - you're picking it mainly so it doesn't hurt you, is that correct? 

This is a much more controlling style of Vader/Raider without the big hits of Mind Probe and No Mercy ... that doesn't feel like the best way to go, only because there are better blue/yellow villain control options. However, if you're constrained by card availability, it's worth a try. You might prove the group-think on the best strategy for this deck wrong.