Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Rogue One Cards Announced for Destiny - Will LCG Follow?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2209 posts
This game came out at an odd time for the IP, there was no plans for a sequel trilogy when this game launched, and the fact that it was based on the OT was a positive. Then fast forward 6 months after the game launched Disney bought Lucasfilm and announced a new trilogy and spin off movies. Meanwhile this game had a crappy first cycle, so interest is already waining on the game. The comes the delays, man the delays people begin to drop like flies since it's like 3 to 4 months between monthly packs on a game just beginning. Now I'm not sure if this had anything to do with Disney or not but it drastically effected the game.

Now they are stuck with a game set in the OT timeline, which is now a problem for them, and a game with a distribution cycle that will always be a day late and a dollar short. I want new EU stuff, I want Dr. Aphra more than anything in this game, but my god she is already 2 years old.
  • tierdal and Mattropolis like this

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2209 posts
Maybe this game needs a new EU core. Have comics, Rebels, and Lost Stars in it. Then immediately follow it with a Rogue One cycle that still pulls those EU elements into the game. But stay away from Luke Han and Leia.

Mattropolis

Mattropolis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

I'm sure we'll see Aphra show up in X-Wing, then Destiny, then Armada, and then maybe a year after that we'll get her in the LCG. Of course all those other games will have already gotten Episode 8 and Han Solo spinoff movie cards by then so....

*kills self*

• TheJanitor likes this

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

this game doesn't need to be only galatic war... thats just Scott Egan's sacred cow. You can easily dump seperatist crap into navy. You can easily dump Mace windu into Jedi.

You can easily dump Maz into Jedi or Smugglers. 

This games theme come from the PODS... not the overall structure. You got twilek loyalists fighting super star destroyers, theme is no longer an excuse to not expand to Pre/Seq eras.

• Rio, Gamer257, CooMasterCoo and 2 others like this

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

This game came out at an odd time for the IP, there was no plans for a sequel trilogy when this game launched, and the fact that it was based on the OT was a positive. Then fast forward 6 months after the game launched Disney bought Lucasfilm and announced a new trilogy and spin off movies. Meanwhile this game had a crappy first cycle, so interest is already waining on the game. The comes the delays, man the delays people begin to drop like flies since it's like 3 to 4 months between monthly packs on a game just beginning. Now I'm not sure if this had anything to do with Disney or not but it drastically effected the game.

Now they are stuck with a game set in the OT timeline, which is now a problem for them, and a game with a distribution cycle that will always be a day late and a dollar short. I want new EU stuff, I want Dr. Aphra more than anything in this game, but my god she is already 2 years old.

Indeed..couple that with a new style of deck building they didn't quite understand...and the first year delays. It is a testament to just how good this game is that it has even SURVIVED. And not for nothing we have a great community or very dedicated players.

GreedoShotFirst

GreedoShotFirst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

this game doesn't need to be only galatic war... thats just Scott Egan's sacred cow. You can easily dump seperatist crap into navy. You can easily dump Mace windu into Jedi.

This games theme come from the PODS... not the overall structure. You got twilek loyalists fighting super star destroyers, theme is no longer an excuse to not expand to Pre/Seq eras.

Would love a Kit Fisto card.

To be honest, when Andy asked me about who on the Jedi counsel I would most resemble...it would be Fisto (with my history of competitive swimming in high school and college). 

• Rio, tierdal and Mattropolis like this

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

Well I don't think you can "easily" do that stuff. You can "lazily" do that but if you create something stronger and more thematic it would be even better.

And thats kind of the thing with Destiny, there is zero story to Jyn Erso on the card. All you need is the name and the an image of her to be able to create a Jyn Erso card. For the LCG you need a little bit more.

I do agree with the whole marketing thing but I think it was already too late for the LCG anyway. A Rogue One set had to come out with the movie IMO, just like the X-Wing ships did.

Hopefully we will be finding out soon what the next step is for the LCG.
  • Eggzavier likes this

darthbs

darthbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1059 posts
While I am very grateful for the content that FFG gives me to put out to the community I must say the last 12 months have been the most dire marketing wise I have seen for this game.

With the whole of GA being spoiled, then only a few sets being given out to spoil with the latest pack not even bothering to hype it up, I am very disappointed.

But this, this is starting to hurt now. It's moments like these that I lose the spark to go and make more content.

As a fan I am solely depressed at this, but from a business stand point I feel the funeral pyre card best describes my feelings.

The damage is done now. :(

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2209 posts

While I am very grateful for the content that FFG gives me to put out to the community I must say the last 12 months have been the most dire marketing wise I have seen for this game.
With the whole of GA being spoiled, then only a few sets being given out to spoil with the latest pack not even bothering to hype it up, I am very disappointed.
But this, this is starting to hurt now. It's moments like these that I lose the spark to go and make more content.
As a fan I am solely depressed at this, but from a business stand point I feel the funeral pyre card best describes my feelings.
The damage is done now. :(

I agree, the flame is gone.

I really wonder if I should actively try to bring new players to this game anymore. Even if there is a new cycle, what's the point? They done ef'ed themselves.

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2209 posts

Well I don't think you can "easily" do that stuff. You can "lazily" do that but if you create something stronger and more thematic it would be even better.
And thats kind of the thing with Destiny, there is zero story to Jyn Erso on the card. All you need is the name and the an image of her to be able to create a Jyn Erso card. For the LCG you need a little bit more.
I do agree with the whole marketing thing but I think it was already too late for the LCG anyway. A Rogue One set had to come out with the movie IMO, just like the X-Wing ships did.
Hopefully we will be finding out soon what the next step is for the LCG.

It is kinda funny that the release article includes a line not even in the movie. It's a testimony to how void of flavor and vanilla that game actually is.

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

It is kinda funny that the release article includes a line not even in the movie. It's a testimony to how void of flavor and vanilla that game actually is.

I think it had two lines. Neither "I Rebel" or "What will you become" from the first trailer are in the movie.
  • Rio likes this

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

Would love a Kit Fisto card.

To be honest, when Andy asked me about who on the Jedi counsel I would most resemble...it would be Fisto (with my history of competitive swimming in high school and college). 

I would be Mace.... haunted by the darkside always. Harnessing the power of both. Always having to be vigilant that my dark side doesnt overcome me

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

ya....no

It uses great lines from the trailer that didn't make the final cut of the movie. Article was great...and no idea what the heck that has to do with the game and it's flavor. No need to insult things you don't like. If you don't like it don't play it. The FFG guys work hard as hell to produce stuff we all get to enjoy. Just disrespectful to insult them.

darthbs

darthbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1059 posts

Even looking at Rebels like that the LCG is horribly behind. Literally all of the Rebels mains are already in games like X-Wing. X-Wing moved on to Rebels background characters, like I saw Azmorigan and Vizago were in the last announced X-Wing preview, and X-Wing even got some of the really great book characters already like Ciena Ree.

Meanwhile we are still missing 2 of the main Rebels crew members almost 2 and a half years after the series started.

The Star Wars IP moves WAY FASTER than this nowadays. You can't take 3 years to cover a thing because 10 new things will pop up in that timeframe including 3 live-action films, 3+ seasons of the cartoon, and who knows how many books and comics, etc. People will have moved on to the next thing(s).

The LCG will continue to be horribly behind (and thus out of touch with what is trending in Star Wars fandom spheres) with their current "plan". If a plan even exists.

This is a good summary, developments feel too slow for this game.
  • TheJanitor likes this

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

ya....no

It uses great lines from the trailer that didn't make the final cut of the movie. Article was great...and no idea what the heck that has to do with the game and it's flavor. No need to insult things you don't like. If you don't like it don't play it. The FFG guys work hard as hell to produce stuff we all get to enjoy. Just disrespectful to insult them.

I'm sure that the deck cards add flavour to the game. But the game is clearly designed so you can produce characters based off a template without knowing too much about them. The story or character arc is far less important than the image and the basic archetype for what that character is.

There is nothing wrong with this, it's what allows them to power out characters in a way the LCG can't.

I'm sure most of the flavour comes from the actual game. I definitely felt the game was more interesting mechanically rather than thematically, but I can say the same about the LCG as well really. Nothing with probably ever beat the Decipher game on theme.
  • darthbs, Arkard and Eggzavier like this

Mattropolis

Mattropolis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

I really wonder if I should actively try to bring new players to this game anymore. Even if there is a new cycle, what's the point?

This. Lately, I've been trying to think of ways to teach the LCG more, reach out to card gamer groups around me and see who like Star Wars, etc. all in an effort to try and maybe get a new player or two. But seriously. What is the point? All they are gonna do if I teach them the LCG is immediately go to FFG's website and see Destiny articles, which Destiny is newer, cheaper to get into right now, has all of the newest characters ASAP, and gets a TON more marketing.

• Rio and tierdal like this

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

I'm sure that the deck cards add flavour to the game. But the game is clearly designed so you can produce characters based off a template without knowing too much about them. The story or character arc is far less important than the image and the basic archetype for what that character is.

There is nothing wrong with this, it's what allows them to power out characters in a way the LCG can't.

I'm sure most of the flavour comes from the actual game. I definitely felt the game was more interesting mechanically rather than thematically, but I can say the same about the LCG as well really. Nothing with probably ever beat the Decipher game on theme.

Couldn't agree with this more. Big thumbs up. 

I always like to say that the SW LCG would be amazing with NO THEME. It is basically GO the card game. The theme comes through in the pods but its not necessary, its just an amazing game.

Destiny is also great but without star wars it wouldn't be as interesting (to me). you def feel like u are in an epic duel with blasters and lightsabers flying everywhere.

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2209 posts

ya....no

It shows that the game is hastily produced. That they made these cards without actually seeing the movie or reading a script. How absolutely generic is Jyns ability? Extremely. she is a Padawan. Kinda like the Rebel characters in the LCG they are also extremely generic.

Also just because you like the game doesn't mean it doesn't have its flaws. It has a lot of them. I feel like stating my opinion on a game I played, and it is not just this game is ****. I come up with actual critical points of the game and I get attacked.

It's a fun game. It's a SIMPLE game, that moves fast and has bright distracting colors, so you can't see how shallow it actually is. It's fine that you like it, my wife likes it and I still love her. But to pretend like it's an amazingly perfect game is just silly.

FFG has insulted this game for years, it's the ugly stepchild of their LCG product, and the scary aunt in the attic of their Star wars line. Once they start showing they care about this game, maybe I will care about their cash grabs.

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

It shows that the game is hastily produced. That they made these cards without actually seeing the movie or reading a script. How absolutely generic is Jyns ability? Extremely. she is a Padawan. Kinda like the Rebel characters in the LCG they are also extremely generic.

Also just because you like the game doesn't mean it doesn't have its flaws. It has a lot of them. I feel like stating my opinion on a game I played, and it is not just this game is ****. I come up with actual critical points of the game and I get attacked.

It's a fun game. It's a SIMPLE game, that moves fast and has bright distracting colors, so you can't see how shallow it actually is. It's fine that you like it, my wife likes it and I still love her. But to pretend like it's an amazingly perfect game is just silly.

FFG has insulted this game for years, it's the ugly stepchild of their LCG product, and the scary aunt in the attic of their Star wars line. Once they start showing they care about this game, maybe I will care about their cash grabs.

You actually didn't provide any insight into what you believe the games flaws. I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Game is simple to pickup, certainly not simple to master. Its like saying an engagement is SIMPLE in SW:LCG...sure the mechanics are simple... the decisions are not. 

And I fail to see how the game is shallow.

And as for cash grab... had they put 1 legendary in a box and printed half the cards unplayable ALA Magic..I would agree...but they didn't do that. You can play this game competitively for similar to the cost of the LCG over a year.

scwont

scwont

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Wow, this thread seems to be bringing out the "glass half empty" even more than usual for this forum.

The first thing I thought when I saw the article was "cool! the chances of seeing Rogue One content in the LCG sooner rather than later just went way up!". Then I come here and see a chorus of misery about how neglected our game is. I'd hate to see this forum turn into an echo of FFG's Facebook posts, where every single preview article announcement is instantly filled with comments from fans of other games (OK, most of the time it's X-Wing) complaining about why their favourite game didn't get an article instead.

• GreedoShotFirst and Eggzavier like this