Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How does Hyperloop work?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

rmercer

rmercer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Sorry if this has been asked before.  I couldn't find a search bar for the forums.  

What is a Hyperloop and how does it work?  please and thank you :)

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Badly. It's one of those combos that sounds awesome, but is hard to reach for.

Basically, Poe Dameron, Millennium Falcon and Hyperspace Jump in clever combination. It starts with a rather hopeful mulligan aiming for a specific two card combo, as well as wanting to win the battlefield roll off an "initiative rating" (what I call the numerical total of all your character dice) of just 25. In the absence of the combo emerging, its basically incapable of dealing damage, as most of its damage output costs resources, and it wants to save up resources for the combo itself.

Also, a great example of why dice removal is such a powerfully disruptive effect, as it screws this deck's strategy completely. And EVERY deck should carry dice removal.

chiller087

chiller087

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
It runs Poe, 2x Hired Gun, and Emperor's Throne Room for the battlefield.

You try to mulligan for the Falcon turn 1, get a resource, then use Poe's special or Cunning to resolve the 2-resource side on the Falcon to get you to 5, then bring it into play, preferably turn one.

Then either pay for Hyperspace Jump or use the Falcon to trigger it, swapping Battlefields if necessary.

Then roll out the Falcon first every turn, and claim the battlefield the instant your opponent rolls well, using the Falcon's special to trigger Hyper. Use the 2x red card (can't recall the name) that refreshes support cards if your opponent removes the Falcon die.

This has the effect of building up lots of resources for both you and your opponent; eventually you pay for both of your Launch Bays and finish off the opponent with them and your Hired Guns.

Poe is a red herring for the opponent to go after...once he's brought in the Falcon, he's pretty much done his job. The Hired Guns are the ones you want to protect since they are your closers along with the Launch Bays. Use 2x Second Chance and 2x Field Medic to protect them.

Sometimes you just won't see the cards you want turn one, so 2x Scavange and 2x Don't Get Cocky are key. You need to see Falcon and Hyper asap, so discard your supports and attachments until you draw Falcon and Hyper; you can use Scavange to get back your Second Chances and Cunnings if need be.
  • Jarrett and BayushiSezaru like this

ikeebear

ikeebear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Badly. It's one of those combos that sounds awesome, but is hard to reach for.

Basically, Poe Dameron, Millennium Falcon and Hyperspace Jump in clever combination. It starts with a rather hopeful mulligan aiming for a specific two card combo, as well as wanting to win the battlefield roll off an "initiative rating" (what I call the numerical total of all your character dice) of just 25. In the absence of the combo emerging, its basically incapable of dealing damage, as most of its damage output costs resources, and it wants to save up resources for the combo itself.

Also, a great example of why dice removal is such a powerfully disruptive effect, as it screws this deck's strategy completely. And EVERY deck should carry dice removal.

Agree that it's not a great deck, but once in place, the combo is actually very hard to disrupt.

You can remove the Falcon die, but you may also have to remove a Cunning die ... and practically all die removal options are event-based so you'll eventually not draw them or just run out of them.

The best counter, IMO, is running Poe + Finn with AT-ST and use their own tricks to destroy the Falcon. 

The combo is degenerate, as any loop is, and will have to be corrected with errata (which would be better than restriction or banning). However, degenerate doesn't necessarily equate to good.

In most circumstances it will take time to set up (resources or drawing into the different pieces), which gives aggro time to chew down the Hired Guns or mill decks to discard things like Falcon and Scavenge from their hard.

• BayushiSezaru likes this

TheAshenOne

TheAshenOne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

In most circumstances it will take time to set up (resources or drawing into the different pieces), which gives aggro time to chew down the Hired Guns or mill decks to discard things like Falcon and Scavenge from their hard.

I see too many pieces of a puzzle to set at the right time...but I don't have so much experience so I ask you: this deck can be a threat to the fun of playing a good match? Is it a playable combo in the competitive scenario? Or is a combo very difficult to achieve in a real match?

Sleepa

Sleepa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

My buddy sleeved it up so we could test it against our decks (Vaider/Raider, eHan/eRey, Jango/Veers and Dooku/eGrevious)

Now granted he's a very good player, always top 3 at Star Wars LCG and Thrones regionals around here, but he was able to get the Falcon in play turn one or turn two, in every game. Once the Falcon's out, he just discards until he draws Hyperspace Jump, then uses the loop to counter any good rollouts I had. The deck is definitely super consistent, and 30 HP plus Field Medic(s) makes it pretty durable. That said, Hard agro can just blow it up sometimes, because it does give you one or two action windows a turn while it tries to whittle you down. He was always able to look back to the exact decision that lost him the game when we were reviewing our matches, and he said that he felt like he always had a line of play that could have won him the game, but he mistimed a few sequences, or discarded the wrong cards for rerolls a couple times.

It's a strong deck but there's a lot of finesse to playing it

• BayushiSezaru likes this

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Thanks for the report!

So its hard aggro more than dice removal that troubles it? Still sounds like a decent deck to play, as its such an unconventional approach, and the CCG nature of this game means many of us won't have had a chance to practice against it.

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Just saw this post on the Knights of Ren Facebook page.  The deck is a slightly different take using Ackbar rather than Poe, but it gets the idea across.

https://www.facebook...288690111210748

Keigi

Keigi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Poe Hired Hired (PoeHH) is a beast of a deck itself sans hyperloop. It's an effective counter to T1 aggro decks due to its high health.

You can set up the loop without too much issue. It's a nasty combo that locks the game. Best way to handle is stopping it from ever setting up: stop the falcon from being played.

Overall a great deck in the right hands. Solid T2.

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

PoeHH is a three dice deck that is heavily resource dependent. I'd be pretty nervous playing that, as disrupt or dice removal would end it pretty quickly.

OutOfFactionWarlord

OutOfFactionWarlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

PoeHH is a three dice deck that is heavily resource dependent. I'd be pretty nervous playing that, as disrupt or dice removal would end it pretty quickly.

What is the viability (currently) of 3 dice decks vs 4?  In my mind and somewhat limited play experience, going down from 4 starting dice just always sounds like a handicap.  Even with great activation synergy or stronger dice overall, any dice manipulation sets you back pretty significantly in the early game.  If that is compounded with losing the first character, it feels like too much to come back from.

Hakkor

Hakkor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

I have thought the same way as you from the very beginning, and I'm currently starting to respect 3 dice decks, specially the ones that deploy 3 characters. I have understood that, ultimately, the upgrades are the scary dice. Having 1 extra average die doesn't interfere much when you end up rolling 7-8 dice (or more), and the triple character display boosts you hp total greatly.

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Depends on the dice, and on expected outcomes. Not all dice are equal!

Vader/Raider is 3 dice, but averages 2.5 damage. 

eJinn/eRey is 4 dice but, and averages 2.66 damage.

Meanwhile Padme/Leia averages is 4 dice, but averages 1.66 damage (though Padme's focus obviously distorts that a lot, and any Padme deck is not aggro based).

But of course there's a broader picture. It's also about how easy your damage is to counteract, with dice removal being the main mechanism, and disrupt messing with costed-damage being the other.

Remove a dice or disrupt from Vader/Raider, and you're taking out 1-3 damage (but probably 3 damage, as why waste your dice removal on less?). Take it off Jinn/Rey and you could be taking off as little as 1 damage, or as much as 4 damage.

Then there's the cards that you can access - I'd be much more inclined to two-colour three-dice than one-colour three-dice, for example.

But most importantly, there's the synergies and what goes around it. eJinn/eRey is quite nice, for example, by virtue of there being good upgrade synergies for all-blue, along with the usefully redeployable lightsaber. Vader/Raider benefits from being able to field Isolation, He doesn't like you and Electroshock all in one deck.

As I noted, Poe/HH is not a great combo to me. 2.5 damage on average is comparable to Vader/Raider, but you have to spend for that damage, with only one die face on Poe coming without a charge. You spend money on damage dealing, you're not spending money on electroshocks and blaster pistols. Meanwhile, a little Disrupt will ruin your ability to fight. Being three characters helps for HP and for flank, but also means a much slower pace than Vader/Raider.