Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A collection of 36 decks for casual play

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Libor

Libor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

At first - this is incredible. Really incredible. I play several LCG´s but couldn´t imagine to build so many decks with no overlap.

May I have a noob question about deckbuilding in Call of Cthulhu? I noticed that most of unique cards are only single copies in most of decks. What´s the reason behind it? You don´t want second copy in hand because it´s a  dead card if you have another one in play and you wanna play another body instead of it? Or is there any other reason? For example thematic? From first impression it seems to me that unique characters are more interesting and complex than non-uniques, have better art and so on. I would like to have some named Dr. or Prof. instead of nameless students for example.

I want to try proxy a few decks to play casual with my son and this collection is incredible place to start, thanks for it. But this deckbuilding aspect caught my eye.

Thanks for any advice or reply.

LuChu

LuChu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

You're correct about the former- you don't want too many copies of uniques because they become useless if you already have one in play. However if you have some uniques that are necessary for your deck to function or greatly aids your deck, for example Gustaf in a cultist deck, then it's a good idea to run 3x of that card because you really want to have that card in your hand as soon as possible.

I've never really thought of uniques as being thematic, you make a good point there. But I guess non-uniques can also be quite thematic, for example a stream of endless, unnamed cultists swarming at you, or various government operatives working together. Because of the problem of having too many uniques gameplay wise, theme shouldn't play much part in deckbuilding decisions when concerning uniques.

• Libor likes this

Libor

Libor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

You're correct about the former- you don't want too many copies of uniques because they become useless if you already have one in play. However if you have some uniques that are necessary for your deck to function or greatly aids your deck, for example Gustaf in a cultist deck, then it's a good idea to run 3x of that card because you really want to have that card in your hand as soon as possible.

I've never really thought of uniques as being thematic, you make a good point there. But I guess non-uniques can also be quite thematic, for example a stream of endless, unnamed cultists swarming at you, or various government operatives working together. Because of the problem of having too many uniques gameplay wise, theme shouldn't play much part in deckbuilding decisions when concerning uniques.

Thanks for your reply. The thematic point comes mainly from my A Game of Thrones background, where dead characters goes to dead pile and the unique ones can´t be marshalled again. I know there´s no similar rule in CoC, but I thought that it could be possible that you don´t want to summon a profesor once again after he was killed by cultist. :) 

MaikH

MaikH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hey, thanks for the kind words! In these casual decks, restricting myself to just a single copy of the uniques was indeed mostly for thematic reasons. Serious deck tend to include more of them, I guess, especially since the resource feature of CoC means that additional copies in your hand will never be useless. Apart from being more thematic, I feel that the restriction has another benefit for casual play: with fixed decks, the variety has to come from the gameplay, and games tend to be feel more varied if the uniques with their wilder abilities do not crop up every time.

At first - this is incredible. Really incredible. I play several LCG´s but couldn´t imagine to build so many decks with no overlap.

May I have a noob question about deckbuilding in Call of Cthulhu? I noticed that most of unique cards are only single copies in most of decks. What´s the reason behind it? You don´t want second copy in hand because it´s a  dead card if you have another one in play and you wanna play another body instead of it? Or is there any other reason? For example thematic? From first impression it seems to me that unique characters are more interesting and complex than non-uniques, have better art and so on. I would like to have some named Dr. or Prof. instead of nameless students for example.

I want to try proxy a few decks to play casual with my son and this collection is incredible place to start, thanks for it. But this deckbuilding aspect caught my eye.

Thanks for any advice or reply.

• Libor likes this