Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How is it getting hold of Boosters where you are?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Because here in the UK (Essex) there's three of us desperate to buy at least one booster box more each, and no way for us to buy any, and other players who would have bought in by now if they could have bought in online. We had to drive to a brick and mortar store to get our first box, and we cleared them out. I can't find any online sale of booster boxes at the recommended retail price.

We really want to give FFG some money.

Why won't they take it?

Don't they like money?

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts
I think warboar games in Bromley have some boxes

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

I think warboar games in Bromley have some boxes

Cheers. Not on their website though. Looks like there they have a Rey starter in stock, and Rens available to order, but no boosters.

We're all feeling a bit disheartened in our gang. Between us we've got three boosters, and there's only a handful of characters we can field as elites, and there's no character combination possible that I'd consider top tier (which I more or less define at this time as 4 dice with matching damage types, or eVader or eLuke).

• Caldera likes this

palpster

palpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

It looks pretty much soldout here in the Netherlands. Checked a handful of physical stores and a dozen websites, but can't find anything except a few starters and pre-orders for Spirit of Rebellion. I've got a nearly complete collection by now, so it doesn't matter as much for me personally, but it kinda stinks for wanting to grow a community.

• Gosgosh likes this

BayushiSezaru

BayushiSezaru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
A couple of weeks ago, Asmodee Italy declared they have sold out their (4000 starter and 2000 booster displays) first printing.
Some product can still be found around (my shop has some box left, after selling more than one hundred...), but I guess it won't last long...

Ywingscum

Ywingscum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Man I really feel for you guys.  Being forced to wait like this must be so frustrating.  Here's hoping supply gets to Europe in abundance!

English004

English004

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Unfortunately, as mentioned above, the first printing of Awakenings is out.  There may be some boxes left at stores here and there but the next wave of product will be Spirit of the Rebellion in April.   Awakenings won't be out again until after that since it sounds like they've just been printing SoR to get that out for release.

theamazingmrg

theamazingmrg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts
This is my problem with Collectible (as opposed to Living) games - if its popular, people by stock by the box, not the booster. If demand is underestimated, that means stock runs out quickly and nobody can get any.

Caldera

Caldera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
Just picking up on Asklepios' original post, I also tried to see if anywhere in the UK sold Characters/Rares/Uncommons etc individually, but even they'd sold out of pretty much everything - and to date I haven't managed to source that second Jango that our gang so desperately craves.

I've spent about £120 so far, and I have to say I think it's money well-spent: The game is really fun (and eases the pain brought on by Conquest's demise), and I can field 2 potentially OK-ish decks going by Asklepios' criteria - although I have to dismantle one in order to make up the other.

But it does feel like I have a lot of redundant cards that should otherwise be great - mainly of the yellow variety. If we have to wait until beyond April for the reprints then we are getting closer to "L5R will be out soon" territory, and that £90 for a Booster box would presumably buy 3 core sets instead....

I'll give FFG the benefit of the doubt as I appreciate demand has way exceeded their expectations, but I wonder if they've missed a trick by prioritising production of the next set over reprinting Awakenings?

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Definitely trick missed.

Because of availability I've bought one booster box where I probably would have bought 2-3.

Because I can't build a tourney-level deck with one booster box, I'm not bothering with the European Championship. Likewise, I'm not collating a card review article for the site, which I almost certainly would have done if I was getting into the game, and which may have drawn in a few more players with more card sales to them. Also, I'm almost certainly not buying into Spirit of Rebellion either, as if I'm not into a game full-on, I'm not into a game at all, so that's another 2-3 booster boxes down the line not being bought. I'm sure I'm not alone in this, as amongst the three of us playing it in my game gang of 6, all three of us would have bought way more cards if we could. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are people all over the world feeling the same.

So yeah, nice game, but for me the distribution failings have killed it.

Like I said, I guess FFG doesn't want our money.

• Caldera and Gosgosh like this

kizerman86

kizerman86

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

While I understand your complaint, is it not a bit dramatic to say things like "I guess FFG doesn't want our money."?

I mean, obviously they want our money.  They are likely WAY more disappointed that they undershot demand for the game than we are.

FFG is combining a MASSIVE license (low-risk) with a CCG format (very high risk for a publisher).  I can see how predicting demand could be challenging, considering that retailers would still be losing money if they over-ordered and the game flopped like many new CCGs do (but this is Star Wars so it doesn't fit any established mold in modern gaming).

Many LCGs already cannibalize players from the other LCGs.  Like you, I am also an "all-or-nothing" player when it comes to competitive games, and I only have time for 1 competitive game at a time.  Some people can manage multiple games, sure, but tons of people jump from one game to the next.  Few maintain more than 1-2 LCGs, but there are definitely some players who are fortunate enough to have the time/resources to play them all.  A CCG is a different beast - adding it to a line of LCGs that are already shifting players from one game to the other, creates a pretty tough market to forecast for both players and the publisher (at least for the first run of a new game) in what is functionally a new market for FFG since they have been out of the CCG world for awhile now.

Now add the dice to the equation.  They slow production, meaning FFGs ability to adapt to demand is delayed, at least until they can increase production be either leasing/purchasing more factories.  If it were only cards, this shortage would have already been fulfilled IMO.  From what I understand the dice manufacturing is the real bottleneck in supply.

I should say, that I fully expect them to improve if not completely address the supply issue by the end of the year, but only because there is so much money on the table, to your point.

Not a personal attack, so please don't take it that way.  Loads of respect for you from AGoT,  I'm probably just tired of the FB crowd's whining but I don't really want to try to discuss anything there because, well, you've seen how things work over there.  Just apply any ill-will you may perceive in this post to all the sexist, elitist, smart @$$ jerks in the FB group haha.

I also complained a TON about AGoT 2nd Ed so I completely understand my accusation of being dramatic is pretty f'ing ironic.

Anyway, it's a really cool game system and I'm glad they took a leap back into the collectible gaming world.  I just think there is an unfortunate combination of factors that are being unfairly attributed to FFGs decision making by the general playerbase, and that no matter what, demand for the first run of SW:D was always going to be a "pretty good guess" at best.

• BayushiSezaru likes this

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Obviously we can't know the ins and outs of the company without being in on their meetings, but to me its been clear that supply undershot demand by a wide margin. That's fair enough for a first run, as you gotta make your guesses. However, once it became clear that the market could bear more supply (which I think it has been for at least several months now, just by looking at secondary trade prices) I think they should have done whatever they could to get more stock out there. Even if the second run had a smaller margin for them, it'd be worth it to prime the pump, as first sets are where you build your long term playerbase. Every player they lose now is sales also lost down the line.

I can forgive underestimating the demand, but I think that failing to respond to the resulting situation was very poor business sense.

On my end, the only thing I lose is the money spent on cards that don't get me to any sort of competitive level, and which to my mind is now "wasted". FFG, otoh, loses a lot of profit now and in the future from me and players like me.

Troopershark

Troopershark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Same for me, in U.S. but no supply available, I ran a few demo's and got a hand full of people interested but no one could get product so the game has pretty much died in my area before it even got started.  Unless you travel to NYC or North Jersey to go to events, which I cannot do because I do not have a card pool large enough to build a competitive deck anyway, I won't be able to get any games in.

I really do like the game, played with my kids with proxies and a few friends with proxies, but it is physically impossible for me to play it because of lack of access to product