Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Conquest Deckbuilder: beta thread

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

dnapolitano

dnapolitano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

POPULAR

As described here I am in the process of constructing a new Conquest deckbuilder. In the next few weeks I will be recording a sample video of the site (currently in beta) which I will share on this thread once finished. In the meantime I will be sharing some screenshots of current design.

Note that design is subject to change and while the functionality as displayed within the screenshots is fully built there will likely be additional functionality added before the site becomes public.

Public Deck View:
Body: Summary of cards in deck and stats | Sort/group pulldowns | Deck strategy and info
Tabs on Right: Deck Comments | Deck Shuffler | Deck copy (Not built) | Deck Export (text/OCTGN currently supported)

Fzzx8HT.png

Public Deck View (Mobile):
cnalKC4.png
  • warder808, LordVampire, Gosgosh and 7 others like this

Skyknight

Skyknight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Looks awesome Dan! I especially like the different sections where you can note possible strategies and really flesh out your ideas about different aspects. That's a nice idea indeed! Very promising :)

dnapolitano

dnapolitano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Looks awesome Dan! I especially like the different sections where you can note possible strategies and really flesh out your ideas about different aspects. That's a nice idea indeed! Very promising :)

Thank you, this is how I have documented my decks in the past and I have found it very useful. These categories are all optional and won't display in public view if left blank in your deck.  The 'like' button has not been added to the screen yet but will sit in the summary section beside the deck name (it is currently available in the Public Decks page where decks are displayed in summary view. Also there will be an additional 'inpired by/inspiration for' section once I enable Save As functionality for others to copy your deck. Future plans include ability to track game plays against other user decks or generic warlords, to log game MVPs, and I plan on incorporating a user suggestion to then aggregate this data for use by others in building decks (e.g. filter or sort cards by frequency of key cards in other decks). 

I'm doing some final cosmetic cleanup of the deck builder side of this page that shows where this information is entered and will post that shortly.

• Ultramarine and killaszit like this

dnapolitano

dnapolitano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
Below are screenshots of the card view page.  This page scrolls down vertically and has sections that are geared particularly towards new players to the game in order to give them help and ideas for deckbuilding.  On the side there are tabs that pop out a side overlayfor comments and decks that include the card. 

The arrows right and left scroll cards within cycle.

This page is accessed mainly from the filter/search page but also comes into view in a pop-up overlay in deckbuilder when you click on the card name, so information including comments and other decks is accessible while building decks.

Aside from the tabs that overlay, the sections that you see are on same page. As noted previously, cosmetic design on some of this is still underway.

Feature Card Section with Sig Squad
X5m8dSK.png

Decks that include card
Here the tab is popped out from the side and overlays the page
COLh2VY.png

Comments on Card
Here the comments tab has been popped out and overlays screen.
25m9oLd.png

Strong Combos
hJdmunQ.png

Other Combos (for events/attachments this is worded as eligible targets)
Broken out for eligible and weak. Eligible/other would be any possible combo that isn't strong or weak. Weak would be possible combos but ones that one surface don't look to great to build around.
uKJkJly.png

Eligible Warlords
A list of warlords that can include this card
m3PMD4V.png

Faction Breaking Sections
e.g Starblaze
4ic2gVR.png

Combo Chains (in Mobile View)
Includes chains for certain cards where the amount of obvious combos is small to non-existent
W6FwkQa.png
  • Ultramarine, killaszit, alicelouise58 and 1 other like this

Skyknight

Skyknight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Impressive :D

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

That's really cool :). Can users add their own combos or are they all preset?

dnapolitano

dnapolitano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

That's really cool :). Can users add their own combos or are they all preset?

They're generated from data using somewhat obvious decisions. Some are direct relations (e.g. bladed lotus on a kabalite) some are straight forward (e.g. vengeance with flamer squad) and some are gut (e.g. armored shell strong on devourer venomthrope because high cost high attack low HP but weak on spore sacs because you want it dead at some point).

I could certainly use assistance in this area. There's a lot of and considerations to be made. I don't have a means currently though for users to offer suggestions. You can do it over Skype for now and I'll consider how best to let users add suggestions.

At some point I want to use this as an algorithm for suggesting cards in deck builder.
  • Kaloo likes this

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts
Trait/keyword synergy is the obvious one that would catch most things (e.g. elites + STC, kabalites, soldiers, mobile, non-X etc) that can be expanded on for things that indirectly rely on certain traits (e.g. Promise of Glory + Daemons (PoG itself doesn't mention Daemons, but the cultists it creates do)). Otherwise, I can't think of an easy way to see the "discovered" synergies (e.g. Ammo Depot + cheap units) other than manually adding them.

I do find the prospect of Amazon/Netflix style "because you included Rouge Traders why not consider Void Pirates" suggestions hilarious, though
  • SlaaneshDevotee likes this

warder808

warder808

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Looks great! Can't wait to try it out.

dnapolitano

dnapolitano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
Here is a full page screenshot of the 'New Deck' page.  It's pretty straight forward in terms of design.

One item displayed (the star) is a feature found throughout the site.  I haven't previewed the Profile page, but on your profile you can select the different sets/cycles/expansions that you want in your collection and this is saved to your profile. Throughout the site there are these filters, indicated by the star, that come preset that will filter content on that page to cards in your library.  So, in this case, were you not to own Legions then Nahumekh and Anrykhr would not display (unless you unchecked the filter). 

A button/tab not shown here but that I plan on including on this page is a deck import tool.

qKy17om.png
  • warder808, Ultramarine, SlaaneshDevotee and 1 other like this

dnapolitano

dnapolitano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
Here's a preview of the Card Binder, where you can filter, search and sort the cards in your collection or in the db.  Not much to show here so I'll just feature a few filter options of the many available

Like all pages in the site, this one is responsive to screen size. The 6 card row is what you get on a standard desktop monitor. This decreases when shown on tablet or phone.

One item to point out is the Star button, which was mentioned in a previous post. This is a prefilter based on cards in your library. You can identify the sets/cycles that you own or want to see in deckbuilder and this page will come prefiltered to just those cards.

Finally, I'll be previewing the card rate/review functionality which will integrate with this page and the deckbuilder. I'll discuss those ties when I preview that.

Filter by Trait
F2hR9Sx.png

Filter by Keyword/Ability
qEmaaC4.png

Filter by Specialization
OEM9UZ5.png

Filter by Action
CFA5Tdn.png
  • SlaaneshDevotee, Kaloo and Skyknight like this

dnapolitano

dnapolitano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
Today is a quick post showing the deckbuilder profile page.

This is where you can personalize site functionality. Shown here you can select what packs/cards display in the Card Binder and deck builder pages (and soon deck page). Currently I have one fan made expansion available but will be adding more. The default is for these to be hidden in the site so as not to confuse new players or people not in the know. In the profile is where you can subscribe to certain fan-made expansions.
Also shown, options for controlling deckbuilder functionality. For example, how cards will sort in deckbuilder when you first open (thanks to Stefan for this suggestion) and the option to set a threshold for filtering cards in deckbuilder to remove any card that you have rated below that level.

There are a few more personalizations I will be adding as well as the option to file session reports and to tie these to decks before I make the deckbuilder live. A longer term enhancement will provide users the option to view a profile in order to see all of a users comments, session reports, ratings and public decks. I also want to consider the ability to surface more expert players/contributors in the community so people can better scan through ratings and decks. This is a touchy area so I am putting off for now.

Authentication is handled through Google OpenID

vFr0SfO.png
  • Skyknight likes this

killaszit

killaszit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

no APOKA cards here?

• dnapolitano likes this

Tytou

Tytou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Wow! your work look amazing, can't wait to have a try too. Any chance to deckbuild with Apoka content too ?

• dnapolitano likes this

dnapolitano

dnapolitano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
Please see first post on this thread with link to my original post on the matter of fan made content. My intent is to host fan made content but first I need to have a concrete and fair policy in place around what content I will host and what I need the designer to provide. BCL is already in site for three reasons: 1) to serve as proof of concept, 2) when I began work on site I was aware of their vision, design process, timeline and team make-up and comfortable that it would meet the fan made content policy of site and, 3) their output timeline was manageable for me to do in parallel to site design.

My focus right now is to get the site up and running. The absence of Apoka on site is a function of current time constraints and focus rather than a reflection of policy plus I haven't spoken with that project yet and don't even know their interest level. They are putting out a good deal of content and before I get into an upkeep pattern with that I need to get this site available users.

dnapolitano

dnapolitano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
It's implied but I'll add that I wasn't aware of Apoka when I first began site design. That doesn't mean anything in terms of current decision making except to say that at the time it was simply a decision to host BCL rather than a decision to host BCL over Apoka.

Also, I have every incentive to broaden user base rather than restrict. My need for a policy is to be fair to all people developing fan made content rather than reject outright some people and allow others. On the other side I don't want a site full of fan made content that isn't properly tested or vetted and don't want to be the person determining quality. Ultimately any content put on site will take my time to add it and manage it. So that's what I mean by objective and fair process
  • Ultramarine and Skyknight like this

dnapolitano

dnapolitano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
Today I'll feature the Deck box and and Public Decks pages. These pages are largely similar, so I'm putting them both together.  The largest difference is that the Deckbox page launches you into the deck builder while the Public Decks page brings you to the deck view of a public deck that I featured earlier.

Deckbox
Here you see the standard filter and sort options then each deck shown in summary view. The deck summary I am still tweaking in terms of design and content.
With Unit Strategy, you can filter on things like Elite deck or Swarm Deck. With Deck Strategy you can pull hunt decks or Choke decks, for example.

Rkohfbl.png

Deckbox - Faction Filter
Filtered by faction

8rODBCX.png

Public Decks - Card Filter
Filtered by card name, in this case, Ambush Platform. Also shown here is another difference between the Public Decks and Deckbox. Deckbox has trash cans so you can delete your own decks. In public view, you are given the opportunity to like other members' decks.

GsdZjs8.png

Summary View Expand
The chevron on the bottom right of each summary can be used to expand the view and peak at the cards in the deck without having to go directly into the deck's page.

GUlKdcv.png

Stat Adjust Button (top right of picture) - Warlord
One thing I am experimenting with is the ability to compare decks while taking into account the Warlord's boost. For example, without a stat adjust, Gorzod's command unit based looks bad. Six total command units (where cost<=command). However, apply the vehicle out of faction discount and you see the boost to 12 command units and 3 2-for-2s. A similar boost happens with Straken's cost per ATK on his soldier units.
Also featured here is the mobile responsive view

cl5OMPb.png

Stat Adjust Button (top right of picture) - Deep Strike
Similar to the warlord stat adjust, You can view the adjustment for Deep Strike with costing cards based on the cost to put into reserve then deep strike, which is typically less than the printed cost. You can have both adjustments clicked at the same time.

xHadSUk.png
  • warder808, tdnordine, SlaaneshDevotee and 1 other like this

warder808

warder808

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Jeezuz! You are putting a lot of work into this. I need to sit and contemplate all the data your presenting with this thing.

• SlaaneshDevotee likes this

dnapolitano

dnapolitano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
A delay in posts due to getting absolutely housed on by the flu.

Here's a few captures of the deckbuilder. I'll do a follow-up post describing the tabs in the deckbuilder.

Deckbuilder
Desktop view of the deckbuilder. Those of you using conquestdb will see my inspiration as I like the site's deckbuilder interface.

Seen here: stats table, card count table, sort on card count table, sort on eligible card list, eligible card list, filters.
Filter section: Filters include faction, card type, abilities, actions, card stats, sets, traits, keywords, specialization, card name, selected/not selected, unique, card rating, library, quick filter
Card Rating Filter: this synchs with your library allowing you to filter out cards from list that you have rated less than the number that you set in your profile (e.g. don't see cards that you have rated less than 2.5). Go rate some cards!
Library Filter: this synchs with your library and comes preselected. You will only see cards that are in the cycles/sets selected within your profile.
Quick Filter: offers quick access to frequently sought filters. Filter options in dropdown include- elite, command unit, 2-shield, midrange combat unit, 2-hammer command unit, deep strike
On right: tabs offering added functionality

QxQZTTW.png

Deckbuilder - Deck Portal Locked
You can optionally lock the deck portal so it stays on the left side as your scroll down the eligible card list which is on the right side. As shown here you can still see all cards in deck and stats even as you a scrolling down the page looking for other cards.
Mechanism to lock is the up arrow shown above the Kith image. Just click this to toggle.

YFKEiiW.png

Deckbuilder - Mobile
Like all pages, this is responsive to screen size. Here is an extended vertical view of mobile screen.

WKgnf00.png

Deckbuilder - Mobile - Filters Hidden
The expand more/less arrow can be used to hide show the filter section in order to save space.

RBsgYgp.png
  • Veetek, SlaaneshDevotee and Skyknight like this

dnapolitano

dnapolitano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
Continuing with the deckbuilder, below are the 5 tabs available within the deckbuilder offering added functionality.
In mobile view these take up full page.

Info Tab
Place to enter info on the deck.
There's some future plans to grow this area in interesting ways. Fun stuff to come.
L09v1Pi.png

Shuffle Tab
Standard shuffler. There will be more added into this in future releases. I have some ideas and have received some suggestions.
GEf2ilZ.png

Save Tab
Place to Save, save as and version deck. Also shows any decks saved from, decks this deck was saved from, versions of this deck.
There's a quick save on main screen so you don't have to come in here just to save the deck.
axW2Q77.png

Export Tab
Currently able to export a text markup of deck and OCTGN file
L6VUgGS.png

Share Tab
Where you make deck available for public viewing and for commenting on deck or other people's decks.
Again, I have another fun piece planned for this but not getting into now.
5WlmKuQ.png

Card Pop Up
Also to say that clicking on card names in deck builder gives you access to that card's page, including all comments, ratings, and other people's decks for ideas. Plus the previously covered combo sections.
Shown here is the pop up window for the blackguard.
3g7nPp6.png