Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Rules question: Healing horror from The Necronomicon with Fearless

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

xchan

xchan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

I have some dounts about the healing mechanic.

The RR (pg. 12) under Heal it says:

"Heal is an instruction to remove the indicated amount of danger or indicated amount of horror from a card."

There's no specifics of what kind of card the healing applies to, so by the rules I should be able to heal from any card with cards like:

Fearless

If this skill test is successful, heal 1 horror.

So my question is, can I use Fearless to heal horror from Agnes' Necronomicon weakness?

The Necronomicon

Revelation – Put The Necronomicon into play in your threat area, with 3 horror on it. It cannot leave play while it has 1 or more horror on it.
Treat each [Elder Sign] you reveal on a chaos token as a [Auto-fail].
[Action]: Move 1 horror from The Necronomicon to Daisy Walker. Then, if The Necronomicon has no horror on it, discard it.

Since The Necronomicon uses the same term, horror and not horror token or sanity or something else. What's preventing me from removing it with a heal action?

I checked the rules under horror (RR pg 18) and the only aplicable rule for this scenario would be:

"An asset card without a sanity of 0, cannot gain sanity, and cannot have horror assigned to it".

By that rule, The Necronomicon should be possible to have horror on it, but since the text specifies that, The Golden Rule should overrule it.

So what key rule am I missing that would prevent me from using Fearless (and some other non targetting healing that might come up in the future) to remove the horror from The Necronomicon and then just discard it without wasting any action or having Daisy take the horror?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, since the rules under healing doesn't specify I have to control the card I'm removing the horror/damage from, could I use Fearless to heal someone else's investigator/asset/The Necronomicon?

Thanks!

• unlaxolcalm likes this

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

A valid question since all other healing effects that I can recall in the game so far clearly call out it's target.  Fearless does not.  I'd ask the question to Matt and Nate and get a ruling. 

Maybe there is something implicit about it being a skill card that I'm missing.  The only thing I'm sure of is that skill card effects are addressing the player that played the card regardless of who it was played on, but that's doesn't help here.

• unlaxolcalm likes this

Samea

Samea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
So far, skill card effects apply either to the action taken (e.g. extra damage for an attack) or to the character commiting the card. I'd say the character commiting "Fearless" is the target for the heal.

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Yeah but there is no rule to point to right now to confirm that, which is why I think it's ambiguous.  I'd say we need a ruling.  I agree though.  I always played it as the investigator who played the card was the target of the heal.

xchan

xchan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

I got this answer from Matt.

When a card instructs you to heal but does not specify what card is being healed (for example, “Heal 2 horror”) it is inferred that you are the one being healed, aka your investigator card.
Effects that allow you to heal other investigators will specify that (for example Clarity of Mind: "Heal 1 horror from an investigator at your location.")
Effects that allow you to heal assets will specify that. “Heal 1 horror from an asset,” hypothetically. (Such a card does not exist yet.)

So basically he is saying that there's nothing in the rules right now that prevents that interaction but some inferred ones. And that in case they release a way to heal horror from an asset, they will need to make another inferred rule to prevent that card to heal The Necronomicon. I hope they clarify that in the future FAQ, as I don't like having to infer rules.

• phillosmaster and Samea like this

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

We will get a FAQ.  All the other LCGs have one.  I'm sure they are just waiting for enough questions to accumulate so they can release a substantial document.  For now maybe just post Matt's reaction in the stickied FAQ thread in this forum.  There is a good collection of clarifications in that thread.  So it's a nice utility to maintain.

Khudzlin

Khudzlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1049 posts

I got this answer from Matt.

There used to be a link for rules questions on specific games on FFG's forum, but I can't find it anymore. Could you give me the email you used to ask your question?

Samea

Samea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

There used to be a link for rules questions on specific games on FFG's forum, but I can't find it anymore. Could you give me the email you used to ask your question?

Look in the "Customer Service" section linked at the bottom of the the FFG website. There is a form for rules questions that will forward your questions to someone responsible for the game specified.

Khudzlin

Khudzlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1049 posts

Thanks!

nguyentrongvan

nguyentrongvan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts