Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tricks and Nonsense

Best Answer dbmeboy , 19 February 2017 - 08:51 PM

Tricks and Nonsense:

"If you opponents edge stack contains 1 or more (smugglers and spies) or neutral cards, your opponent cannot trigger abilities during this engagement."

What constitutes an "ability". Are events or fate cards "abilities". Do only triggered effects count? What happens to other fate cards?

Thanks! 

Tricks and Nonsense specifically stops abilities that Trigger.  Per the FAQ (4.13), Triggered abilities are Actions, Reactions, and Interrupts.  Tricks and Nonsense will stop your opponent from Triggering any Actions, Reactions, and Interrupts (including Forced variations) until the end of the engagement.

This is different from how pilot Vader works as he stops any ability that initiates (ie has a distinct starting point), not just Triggered abilities.

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3648 posts

Really has lots of things it stops. Luke can't toss an enhancement to double strike. Leia still ends up captured but doesn't get her Interrupt. You have until the end of the engagement to play any event you want without any of the event cancel effects being usable. Less good, Nudj's can't bump the dial if they leave play and the Speeder Bike won't die if you win the edge battle.

Actually this gets back to an interesting question. Do you have to initiate the effect?

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3717 posts

Actually this gets back to an interesting question. Do you have to initiate the effect?

Yes.  In general, resolving a fate card isn't optional unless the wording of the fate card itself gives you the option to not use it.  Tricks and Nonsense doesn't give you any choice*, it resolves at its place in the priority.  If you're really counting on a dial bump from a Nudj or in a Speeder Bike crashing into the lost edge battle, may be a good choice not to use Tricks and Nonsense.

*You do have the choice of whether to place it in your edge stack or not, outside of some LS card effects that could force you to place it.

Jackofhearts

Jackofhearts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
What about Missions?

Thaliak

Thaliak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

That depends on whether the Reaction is Forced. Right now, the only mission with a mandatory reaction is To Save a Friend.

Jackofhearts

Jackofhearts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
I meant in general: does this prevent the activation of missions from the victory pile?

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3648 posts

I meant in general: does this prevent the activation of missions from the victory pile?

I would say it does.

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3717 posts

That depends on whether the Reaction is Forced. Right now, the only mission with a mandatory reaction is To Save a Friend.

Actually has nothing to do with Forced. Either way, it is a Triggered ability and cannot be triggered during the engagement.

Thaliak

Thaliak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Actually has nothing to do with Forced. Either way, it is a Triggered ability and cannot be triggered during the engagement.

Yes. Based on the post above his, I assumed his question was whether the reward for completing missions was optional, not whether Tricks and Nonsense stops them.

metlfan

metlfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
I thought they would prevent fate cards because they are triggered by their number that they resolve?

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3717 posts

I thought they would prevent fate cards because they are triggered by their number that they resolve?

I understand why you would think that, but "trigger" in this game (and other FFG LCGs) has a specific meaning.  It refers specifically to triggered abilities (Actions, Reactions, and Interrupts).

• metlfan likes this

metlfan

metlfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Gotcha thanks for the clarification