Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fresh decks or carry over?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

OldShrimpEyes

OldShrimpEyes

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 404 posts

Hi all,

I realise that the answer to this question will probably be "your choice" but I wondered what the general consensus is. Say me and my buddy complete the opening campaign, what we do we do with our decks? Is it the done thing to carry them over, warts and all, to Dunwich or are the campaigns designed to be tackled with fresh decks each time? I quite like the idea of taking the adventures of Agnes and Skids on for the long haul but dont want to accidentally end up hitting campaigns with OP decks full of upgrades.

Cheers!

MightyToenail

MightyToenail

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

Fresh decks I say.

Samea

Samea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The game experience is balanced around starting each campaign with a new 0 XP deck.

You can carry over your surviving characters to a new campaign, the campaign rules even suggest it. But if you do, there are no guarantees that you won't absolutely dominate some situations with awesome high xp decks and be completely crippled in others by trauma and weaknesses from past adventures. And you can always decide to retire dysfunctional characters during the campaign and replace them with fresh recruits.

If you are okay with the "let's see how far we can make it" survivor mode, I'd suggest you continue with your old characters. If you find out that this is not for you, you can always start over the campaign with fresh characters and decks.

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Also you could just adjust the difficulty of the chaos bag if you felt the legacy decks were too powerful or too frail.  I do like the idea of a survivor mode to see how long one investigator deck can last before it's killed or driven insane.

Though for the cleanest experience I would start over with new decks at the start of each campaign.  Especially for your first go around with the scenarios I think it's best to go with the route which was their target design.  I think you wouldn't want to spoil the enjoyment of a new scenario by playing it with potentially a lopsided deck.  After that I think a survivor mode style campaign where you play everything with one investigator until they are defeated is a nice way to bring a fresh perspective on scenarios you've already played.

Samea

Samea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Also you could just adjust the difficulty of the chaos bag if you felt the legacy decks were too powerful or too frail.  I do like the idea of a survivor mode to see how long one investigator deck can last before it's killed or driven insane.

If an investigator collects lots of trauma or manages to get something like the dreaded "Psychosis/Hypochondria - bwahaha, now you're f*cked" combo, he could become entirely unplayable even on lowest difficulty.

But "survivor mode" *is* fun, if you know what you're in for. It's like the survivor modes in old computer games, where the enemies just kept coming and the difficulty just kept increasing. You knew that you would eventually lose, that the mode could not be beaten, but it took you places you would never see during a regular game.

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

True but if you are truly playing the proposed "Survivor Mode" then they are all eventually F-ed given our current example of what end campaign resolution looks like.  I'm not sure many investigators would survive doing the core campaign a couple times even if they were ultra leveled up.