Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Simple DRAFT PACK algorithm.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

So.. I am thinking of adding simple draftng support to my new mod for TableTop Simulator. I haven't the time and to be honest nor the expertise after all this time to construct a proper "cube"... 

So instead I am going to make a random pack system out of the entire card pool. 

I was thinking...

• Each Faction get at minimum 2 cards. Total of 18 cards in the pack.
  • Each pack has Ancient One, no matter what. This is added as an "extra" to any that may randomly get added though faction adds
  • Each Pack gets a random across all factions.

This results in a pack that is 25 cards.

Thoughts?

EDIT - I will eventually make a proper algorithm that will mean there could be some variance. 

Q: Should there be minimum amounts of characters, support and attachments per pack?

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2833 posts

I would suggest at least a minimum number of characters since these are typically the bulk of any deck as well as being pretty necessary to normal play.  That is, it may be possible to design a deck which is extremely light on characters but such a thing must be very carefully constructed - you can't just slap one together.

Probably what I'd do would be to select some number of random characters, random events, random supports and then let the rest of the pack be any sort of card which gives some variance.  Additionally, enforce the per-faction limit which may result in needing to redraw some cards at the end to replace with like-type cards of whatever faction is shorted.  Adding "like type" to the rule will prevent fixing one rule from breaking another.  I would also consider whether there should be maximum numbers of any cards types, such as Conspiracies.

So for instance, at the end you only have one Shub card.  This will not do!  So, you make a list of the cards for factions that have 3+ cards (so that removing one will not cause a new rules breach), choose one at random, and replace it with a like-type Shub card.  Repeat this process until all factions have at least two cards.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

what about ....

2 per faction always characters in each pack = 18

1 Ancient One always in the pack in addition  = 19

11 Random form entire pool = 30

So 30 Cards per pack?

This is a little large for a draft pack imo, but at the same time should ensure the ability to actually run a decent draft.

We can switch the random 11 to 6 and have a total of 25 cards as an alternative?

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2833 posts

How about this?

1 character per faction = 9

1 card per faction = 18 (could be any type)

1 Ancient One = 19

6 random from entire pool = 25

Then if you want to add a fix-up step to enforce card ratios that can come at the end.  There's basically a tradeoff between complexity of the algorithm vs. how much control you want over the contents which is basically protection against "weird" packs.  So what you might do is start simple, run some test packs, and then apply more rules as you feel are necessary to provide a good draft experience.

Note that guaranteeing one Ancient One slightly biases the distribution towards mythos factions so you might decide to take one of the six random cards and make it a higher-cost (4+?) human faction card if this is not desirable.  Or you could have one card slot and 50/50 it between the two.  Basically lots of ways to tweak this...

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

How about this?

1 character per faction = 9
1 card per faction = 18 (could be any type)
1 Ancient One = 19
6 random from entire pool = 25

I like it.. I wanted to keep it maxed at 25.

Note that guaranteeing one Ancient One slightly biases the distribution towards mythos factions so you might decide to take one of the six random cards and make it a higher-cost (4+?) human faction card if this is not desirable. Or you could have one card slot and 50/50 it between the two. Basically lots of ways to tweak this...

This is true, there could be some bias to mythos factions, but I wanted the ancient ones in the pack for the noobs.. everyone likes seeing a honking great monster card!

You are right though, we should probably look through the human bomb cards and add them to this special pool.

- PS -

gallery_72_79055.jpg

CoC still has the coolest art, free!

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Currently in the Draft pack for the "Ancient One Pool" I have 41 Ancients Ones.

I would like to add at least I dunno... 20or more human "bomb" cards that are comparable to ancient ones for CoC... any suggestions?

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
OK the TTS application is making some good progress now.. 

I have done the deck builder and the draft pack thing...

For drafting I have set it up this way...

Draft Pack = 26 Cards (entire pool)
  • • 9x Character Cards, One of Each Faction (including Neutral)
  • • 8x Character Cards, Random 8 Cards from the entire Character pool
  • • 8x Support and Event Cards, Random 8 cards from the entire pool but only Events and Support Cards
  • • 1x Ancient Ones, I have included a smattering of Human high cost cards in addition to the entire Ancient one Pool.

Also to make things simpler, as the mod is designed for 2 players. The draft style is "open" as in all the draft cards are dealt face up to the centre of the table and you then just choose cards in order.

I'll make a 2nd mod just for multiuser drafting that will build actually decks, using this format.. 3 (or maybe 4) per player. That people can use to draft and then take into the main mod. Though this will be done latter. 

Now that the draft and deck builder is done.. I think I am almost ready to release this version!