Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Parasite of Mortrex Deck Thread

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

WarfStyxfury

WarfStyxfury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

This warlord is quite different with old ones.

After lots of test, I think now I can post a deck here.

Warlord
1x Parasite of Mortrex

Synapse
1x Gravid Tervigon

Armies (29)
2x Swarming Rippers
3x Ripper Swarm
2x Strangler Brood
3x Scything Hormagaunts
3x Toxic Venomthrope
2x Termagant Horde
2x Termagant Spikers
2x Swarm Guard
3x Adamant Hive Guard
2x Biovore Spore Launcher
2x Soaring Gargoyles
3x Genestealer Harvesters

Attachments (4)
4x Savage Parasite

Events (14)
1x Sweep Attack
3x Counterblow
2x Clogged with Corpses
2x Consumption
3x Dark Cunning
3x Contaminated Convoys

Supports (5)
1x Prey On The Weak
1x Digestion Pool
2x Spore Chimney
1x Synaptic Link

Try your best to catch Baharroth!

square

square

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Would you want more condition attachments? It seems like Parasitic Infection goes with the deck?

WarfStyxfury

WarfStyxfury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Would you want more condition attachments? It seems like Parasitic Infection goes with the deck?

I think its own four copies are enough.

Its ability is limited once per turn. So even you want attach more condition, they can't give you many small bugs.

Phatheadaf

Phatheadaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I was finally able get some games in last night with POM and here is what I finally settled on: 

Warlord

1 x Parasite of Mortrex

Synapse

1x Gravid Tervigon

Army (28)

3x Adamant Hive Guard

2x Biovore Spore Launcher

3x Crush of Sky-Slashers

1x Soaring Gargoyles

3x Strangler Brood

3x Swarm Guard

2x Swarming Rippers

2x Termagant Horde

3x Termagant Sentry

3x Termagant Spikers

3x Toxic Venomthrope

Attachment (9)

3x Parasitic Infection

2x Promotion

4x Savage Parasite

Events (7)

2x Clogged with Corpses

2x Consumption

2x Contaminated Convoys

1x Sweeping Attack

Support (6)

2x Hive Ship Tendrils

3x Mycetic Spores

1x Prey on the Weak

The original concept for the deck was to leverage the sig attachments ability create termagaunts to lead the way towards dropping Burrowing Tyrgons in a big bug deck, but honestly it really didn't work well and failed to fire off consistently. I reworked the deck and went with the Hive Mind mechanic and I find it to be much much better. I decided to go with all the condition attachments, because, it really winds the deck up to prime the Hive Mind mechanic later as the game tilts toward your favor after planet 3. Parasitic Infection can be deployed from your hand while the sig attachment really cannot, and that gives you an opportunity to get two out in a given turn if the draw permits and more greatly leverage the sweet Sweep Attack play when it's in hand.

I find that if you can get 4 parasites out in the first 3 turns the deck is off and running. Use the parasites to snipe small characters early, to which Sky-Slashers are an unwitting accomplice, then slide your Savage Parasites to the bigger units as the game wears on. This makes your opponents ability to keep resource hunters on the table early difficult and eventually gets the choke underway when the parasites start eating their precious few units with less and less cards and resources to replenish what they want to do to stay in the game. 

Often I found i'm conceding the first two planets to set the table for the rest of the game, which really was fine, once I got more comfortable with style. It's a five planet game minimum with this deck, usually 6. You want POM in the mix early to spread the parasites, and don't be afraid to dive out of combat just to steal the resources and spread the parasites early, even against tough opposing units. He can take a swing or two with little recourse and in all the games i've played (old build or new) i've never lost him and only had him bloodied once. 

The money makers late are the Mycetic Spores and Termagaunt Spikers; I found it routinely easy to get 3 to 4 swings at ranged once I was at planet 4 or later in the game which makes winning key combats easier and easier as the game goes on, combined with the parasite damage and the occassional Sky Slasher, it was often 6+ damage on a planet before my opponent was even able to swing. 

My impression of POM is much better in the new build vs the old, and if you were frustrated with your experience so far, I suggest adding all the parasite attachments and build to play the long game, and highly suggest trying the Hive Mind mechanic in your build if you haven't already. Hope this helps your POM decks and games! 

@. 

• Ultramarine and Austine like this

Austine

Austine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
Made a Parasite deck for last Thursday night.
My idea was to go Elite instead of Hivemind for a change.

Units: Pretty straight forward. Elites + command units. An Erupting Aberrants to deal with nasty Heldrakes hunting my warlord.
Attachments: I run 2 Adaptative Thorax Swarm, for a lot of reasons, first to get rid of the Savage Parasites in starting hand, second to increase chances to get a STC from start, third because I'm Elite instead of Hivemind, and Ravener/Haruspex really benefit from an ATK boost.
Events: It's a bit tricky there. I play 1 copy of a lot of very useful events. My idea here: My opponent thinks I have x3 of them (or x2), so he is making a lot of calculations and play cautious in vain. Best example is "Sudden Adaptation", the first time this hit it's big, and then my opponent starts being over cautious when I have a single wounded Elite (same goes with Consumption, the opponent double his big units with small bodies for nothing after the first Consumption hit ^^). The only one I'd like to go x3 with is Counterblow. The Parasite is very often on the frontline and damn he is dying fast. Also note the x1 Erupting Aberrants and x1 Heavy Venom Cannon play the same role. It's "tyranid adaptation" theme.
Supports: Pretty simple. Loamy Broodhive is the MVP of the deck. Not being unique is crazy.
Synpase: I go for Lictor because... because Lictor. But as the Parasite I feel better because I have a small chance to switch later in the game for something funnier.

"Parasite of Mortrex"

Army (22)
1x Caustic Tyrannofex (Unforgiven)
1x Erupting Aberrants (Overrun)
1x Focal Warrior (Slash and Burn)
3x Ravenous Haruspex (The Great Devourer)
3x Ripper Swarm (The Great Devourer)
3x Strangleweb Termagants (Promise of War)
3x Striking Ravener (Decree of Ruin)
2x Swarming Rippers (Breaching the Veil)
2x Termagant Sentry (The Great Devourer)
3x Ymgarl Genestealer (The Great Devourer)

Attachment (12)
2x Adaptative Thorax Swarm (Overrun)
1x Heavy Venom Cannon (The Great Devourer)
3x Regeneration (The Great Devourer)
4x Savage Parasite (Breaching the Veil)
2x Ymgarl Factor (The Final Gambit)

Event (8)
1x Backlash (Legions of Death)
1x Clogged with Corpses (The Great Devourer)
1x Consumption (The Great Devourer)
1x Counterblow (Breaching the Veil)
1x No Mercy (Core Set)
1x Planet Absorption (Stars Aligned)
1x Sudden Adaptation (Wrath of the Crusaders)
1x Sweep Attack (Breaching the Veil)

Support (9)
2x Invasion Site (Against the Great Enemy)
3x Loamy Broodhive (Unforgiven)
1x Prey On The Weak (Breaching the Veil)
3x STC Fragment (Legions of Death)

Synapse (1)
1x Stalking Lictor (The Great Devourer)

Created with: www.conquestdb.com

Overall the deck performed correctly. 3W 2L. (The Dark Lance Raider is shooting big missiles...)
I'll try to tune it.
Any comment or advice is welcome!

• Eu8L1ch likes this

Eu8L1ch

Eu8L1ch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Interesting deck! I am not a fan of 1x includes, but I can understand the reasoning behind it. However, I think you're right in wanting to add in some Counterblows, those are pretty great for Warlods that want to be in the thick of fighting.

Personally I would go with midrange/heavy command (well, as heavy as possible) with the Parasite, since you want to get to the late game if at all possible: his ability really starts humming only in the 3rd or 4th round, so rather than rushing a planet win with Elites I'd try swarming with command and playing a grindy game, letting your Parasites do the rest! :D

My own version:

Parasite of Mortrex

Synapse
1x Stalking Lictor

Armies (29)
2x Swarming Rippers
3x Strangleweb Termagants
3x Toxic Venomthrope
3x Virulent Spore Sacs
3x Ripper Swarm
3x Erupting Aberrants
3x Termagant Horde
3x Swarm Guard
3x Soaring Gargoyles
3x Volatile Pyrovore

Attachments (13)
4x Savage Parasite
3x Promotion
3x Adaptative Thorax Swarm
3x Regeneration

Events (7)
1x Sweep Attack
3x Counterblow
3x Clogged with Corpses

Supports (1)
1x Prey On The Weak

I'd really like to throw in Planet Absorption, but I would have to cut something and I don't have a clear idea yet. Let me know when you would be up for some testing, Austine. :D

RiCkItYReD

RiCkItYReD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've been excited by the thematic quality of Parasite of Mortrex since I first laid eyes on it, but I've never built a deck outside of Eldar, and have therefore so far stayed clear. I've finally decided "to hell with it" and have built a deck for the fun of it.

I'm not convinced it is a very good deck. As soon as I started looking at Tyranid cards they seemed so much less... reliable, than Eldar cards, and the synergies harder to generate. Very few cards stood out as particularly safe bets and I couldn't spot what the strong combinations were.

I've leaned heavily into the theme of token generation, and I really like the Hive Mind mechanic, so everything is basically built around that. The result is, I think, that outside of the Volatile Pyrovores, I don't have any reliable mid-range fighters. I need to get tokens out, and I need the hive mind units to make them work. Given the decks purpose it might look a little thin on ways to generate tokens. I did consider going with the synapse unit that generates them, and I also considered including Termagaunt Horde. I guess the ability to kill off enemy command cappers and trigger planet abilities made the Savage Warrior Prime that little bit more appealing than the token generating synapse, and I was not convinced the Termagaunt Horde would reliably generate enough tokens to be worth the cost. If I struggle to generate tokens in testing I will rethink both of these I guess.

I figure that it is really worth trying to find another mid-range fighter like the Pyrovore, but I'd have to sacrifice the degree to which I've leaned into the Termagaunt/hivemind theme. I have considered Erupting Abberant as a unit to bring in by sacrificing my cappers, in particular the 0 cost Ripper Swarm.

I would very grateful to hear any thoughts people have!

(EDIT: I've just realised that the beautiful elite Harpy needs infestation to work, and I don't have a remotely infestation themed deck so... that may be getting dropped for a mid-ranger. A shame.)

Total Cards: (51)

Warlord: 
1x “Parasite of Mortex” (Apoka) 

Synapse Unit (1)
1x Savage Warrior Prime

Army Unit: (30)
2x Swarming Rippers
3x Ripper Swarm
3x Toxic Venomthrope
3x Strangleweb Termagaunt (Apoka)
3x Strangler Brood (+1 atk)
2x Swarm Guard (+2hp)
2x Soaring Gargoyles (+flying)
3x Termagant Spikers (+rangeed)
2x Adamant Hive Guard
3x Volatile Pyrovore
2x Tunneling Mawloc (Apoka)
2x Shrieking Harpy 

Attachment: (12)
4x Savage Parasite
2x Promotion
3x Regeneration
2x Ymgarl Factor 

Event: (5)
1x Sweep Attack
3x Clogged with Corpses
2x Spawn Termagants

Support: (3)
1x Prey on the Week
1x Hive Ship Tendrils (Apoka)
1x Invasion Site

Austine

Austine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
@ RiCkItYReD

You deck is cool! I usually play my POM with Elite but the "swarm" concept is cool.
Here are the modifications I would do.

+2 Hive Ship Tendrils - If you want to go full Hive-mind, I think x3 Hive Ship Tendrils is a must. It really, really helps keeping your Hive-mind units "alive". x1 seems a bit shy.
+2 Counterblow - Your warlord is always in the tick of the fight exhausted. This is the big problem of the POM. A few counterblows, recycling themselves, can help you stay a bit longer alive.
+2 Consumption - You have a lot of tokens. Take advantage of it. Consumption can save you a game.
+2 Erupting Aberrant - Because you run Strangleweb (0/2) and Rippers (1/). But also can stay in your hand to save you against that AE unit that will wreck your all army in one swing.
+2 Adaptative Thorax - Replace Ygmarl Factor, without Elite, Invasion Site and STC you aren't going to be that rich. Plus, Thorax can save your ass on a bad starting hand (of 6 ^^).

-2 Harpy - As you said. Requires Infestation.
-1 Invasion site - No more Elite.
-2 Spawn Termagants - I don't believe in this event. I played it a lot, it almost never worth the cost.
-1 Toxic Venomthrope - It's an expensive, non-fighting unit. I'm not sure it worth having x3.
-2Volatile Pyrovore - It's expensive, replaced by Erupting Aberrant.
-2 Ygmarl Factor

RiCkItYReD

RiCkItYReD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Well, I post below the 'corrected' version of my deck above. I've removed the two Harpies due to lack of infestation cards, and the Invasion Site due to a now lack of elites. I've replaced them with two Termagant Hordes and one more Termagant Spiker. Copied below:-

Total Cards: (51)

Warlord: 
1x “Parasite of Mortex” (Apoka) 

Synapse Unit (1)
1x Savage Warrior Prime

Army Unit: (31)
2x Swarming Rippers
3x Ripper Swarm
3x Toxic Venomthrope
3x Strangleweb Termagaunt (Apoka)
3x Strangler Brood (+1 atk)
3x Swarm Guard (+2hp)
2x Soaring Gargoyles (+flying)
3x Termagant Spikers (+rangeed)
2x Termagant Horde
2x Adamant Hive Guard
3x Volatile Pyrovore
2x Tunneling Mawloc (Apoka)

Attachment: (12)
4x Savage Parasite
2x Promotion
3x Regeneration
2x Ymgarl Factor 

Event: (5)
1x Sweep Attack
3x Clogged with Corpses
2x Spawn Termagants

Support: (2)
1x Prey on the Week
1x Hive Ship Tendrils (Apoka)

As for your suggested additions:-
Hive Ship tendrils: I doubted I'd suffer enough Hive Mind casualties to make three includes a good idea. However, looking at how cheap my Hive Mind units are I could have been wrong about this, and its always nice to increase the chance of a draw.
Counterblow: I agree that parasite is a good fit for this card, and card draw is always nice. My hesitance in including it is that I am not sure I'd want to get rid of all the cards you suggest, and some of your replacement suggestions are more desirable than this one.
Consumption: The trouble with this is that it would obliterate a fair number of my horde, and my deck is reliant on the horde. Also, it's so expensive. I can see it providing juicy results on occasion though. I'll include it at some point to test it out for a while. (I've always been hesitant to include Doom in my Eldar decks for similar reasons - it's so pricey!)
Erupting Abberant: Agreed, it would be good to include. In my 'corrected' deck above I went with Termagant Horde instead, in order to lean into the token generation a bit more. I don't want to rely on the Warlord alone for this.
Adaptative Thorax: I can see this as a wiser include than Ymgarl Factor. I might make that change.

As for your suggested removals:-
Harpy: Agreed and done.
Invasion Site: Agreed and done.
Spawn Termagant: I included these to fund my Clogged with Corpses and contribute to my Horde generation. It worked so well in my first game with the deck that I cannot remove them yet. Just as my Aun'Shi opponent put down his second damned Orbital Strike, my hand had two Clogged with Corpses and a single Spawn Termagants. 2R to obliterate 4R worth of vital supports, and with Termagants left to spare at the early planets. Lovely.
Toxic Venomthrope: Hmm, I somehow did very well on command in my first game, and against a Tau deck that built to go all in on command so... maybe. 
Volatile Pyrovore: Perhaps I could lose one or two if there was a compelling replacement.

Conclusion: I was pretty pleased with first performance so I'll build a variant deck and try both out over time. I think I'll replace both Ygmarl Factor with two Adaptative Thorax. I think I'll remove one Toxic Venomthrope and one Volatile Pyrovore, to either add in two Erupting Aberrants or two more Hive Ship Tendrils. Given I already boosted the mid-range by adding two Termagant Hordes, I guess the sensible thing would be to boost thee Hive Ship Tendrils... but Aberrants sound more fun. Deck space is a painful thing! If Spawn Termagants doesn't continue to pay off, I'll have clear space for the Erupting Abberants.

I'll also just build a deck with all of your suggested changes and give it a go at some point.

FrankThamn

FrankThamn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Does anyone know information about this deck? Who made it? From where, etc... Looks like there is a gold and silver edition. Ive been searching online for info. about this deck but am getting nowhere.