Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Champion Set

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

WarFather

WarFather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Long time coming, but they are finally here!

When I have time I'll try to get better pictures or scan them. There is a chance I might be getting the actual digital files yet. Still waiting though.

36 of each card got made. Other 36 of War Father and Shadows were made that have an off print to them.

How many are there?

36 Veteran Crusader

72 War Father Nathaniel (36 Good print, 36 off print)

72 War Father's Shadows (36 Good print, 36 off print)

36 Herald of the WAAAGH!

The corresponding champion has their set of cards

2014 World Champion

33758537355_d780ca5158_b.jpg

2015 World Champion

32915529274_81e1f52c12_b.jpg

2016 North America Champion

33758537215_ee323525eb_b.jpg

2016 World Champion

32915529334_272c31955a_b.jpg

Good print vs off print

33548690112_7670f9f166_b.jpg

• BaraBob, Veetek, Solaris and 4 others like this

square

square

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Very cool, thanks for posting. Hope they release some digital files as well.

• WarFather likes this

Gabb

Gabb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Thanks for posting some cool effects, what is the purpose of the offprint cards?

• WarFather likes this

LilBabyDragon

LilBabyDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Finally!

So Herald of the Waaagh, you have a battle in the deploy phase, basically? 

4 ATK ambush for 3 is already sick, plus an ability? Dang.

• WarFather likes this

WarFather

WarFather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Thanks for posting some cool effects, what is the purpose of the offprint cards?

They printed those, but since the color was off, they printed them again. No difference, minus the colors are off.

WarFather

WarFather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Finally!

4 ATK ambush for 3 is already sick, plus an ability? Dang.

My final gift to raise SM faction status. Instead of 4 of 9 factions be great, I'm hoping these cards will make it 5 of 9.
  • Solaris and mobj like this

WarFather

WarFather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Finally!

So Herald of the Waaagh, you have a battle in the deploy phase, basically? 

Yep!
  • mobj likes this

LilBabyDragon

LilBabyDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

My final gift to raise SM faction status. Instead of 4 of 9 factions be great, I'm hoping these cards will make it 5 of 9.

"Make Space Marines Great Again" sounds like a familiar slogan.

Would love to hear any stories about the idea behind these card designs or what kind of back and forth there was with Brad that anyone can reveal. For example, I wonder if Brad knew the game was ending so he wasn't too worried about establishing a precedent, or if he was cool with Raven Guard being the "your opponent loses money" chapter.

With Veteran Crusader costing 2, the mystery of what 4 cost Black Templar we would get to use with Neophyte Apprentice will remain forever locked away in the black library.

• Caldera, Ultramarine, MightyToenail and 1 other like this

steinerp

steinerp

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
Gabb, they problem just were misaligned when they got cut

dnapolitano

dnapolitano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
Champion cards have been added to traxissector.com

Happy day for Space Marines, Orks, Astra, Chaos, Tau and Necrons. Saddest day amongst a streak of very very sad days for Starblaze. I feel for you buddy.

The card images will be added to site once digital files are made available. Sorry for the blank spaces.

OCTGN export ids will be added once the cards are added to OCTGN and given an id. For now you can export the deck as an OCTGN file but the file will not include these cards.
  • sammann11, SlaaneshDevotee and mobj like this

FerrusManus

FerrusManus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
I think 4/2 ambush must be loyal, like klaviex...
Tau: ambush platform+raven = bloodie warlord for 3R...
  • SlaaneshDevotee and mobj like this

LilBabyDragon

LilBabyDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Isn't Ambush Platform + Ion Rifle + Shadows = 5R?

Even if Shadows were loyal, you can still run Ambush Platform and Ion Rifle in SM...

We already have Ambush Platform + Ion Rifle + Drop Pod Assault in Honored Librarian = 4R for same amount of damage.

Isn't Ambush Platform + Ion Rifle + Shadows = 5R?

FerrusManus

FerrusManus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
DPA+lib is pretty random, so its ok. BTW this guy can be dropped by DPA as well.
I thinks its too much for 3R

WarFather

WarFather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

I think 4/2 ambush must be loyal, like klaviex...
Tau: ambush platform+raven = bloodie warlord for 3R...

I'm pretty sure all 4 cards should have had the loyal icon, but for whatever reason, it didn't make it to the cards.

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Wow, great to see these at last!

Hoping there'll be some files through which we can all print these cards at home, to complete our collections!

Veteran Crusader is interesting: 0/3/3 non-loyal ambushing is very solid already. Putting aside the ability for now, what we may be looking at hear for Mavros is 5 attack that can be ambushed in for 2 resources. Of course "enters play" is a more open condition than "deployed", which helps for DPA and Black Templar shenanigans.

The ability looks to be benefit/harm neutral, but of course its not, as the deploying player controls its timing. Actually, its a very powerful kill effect, which the deploying player can plan and play around. Set a trap by stacking two cappers on a blue planet, wait for the opponent's warlord to commit and kill a capper, then ambush in this unit. 

All in all, I'd say with context in mind, this card is almost as good as Klaivex Warleader, and probably undercosted by 1R.

My main criticism of this card, however, is that it makes a swingy game swingier. Opponent has a Heldrake or other enormous elite alone on a planet? The 2 resources effect triggered here will either leave it unscathed, or kill it outright, depending on your opponent's ability to read your poker face, which is basically a 50-50 coinflip. A cheap effect that has a purely random chance of flipping the game, that's not my idea of fun. Yes, there are counterplays, like not playing the elite till you got a disposable army unit there, but largely its another swing play in a game that ended its play-life in a place where the effect of luck was already on the rise.

Herald of the Waagh is just perfect. 4 for 1/2/3, with the Warrior trait for Straken. It's a little bit expensive feeling for something that needs specific circumstances to be useful, but on that occasion that those circumstances collide, it's great value. Use it to kill a command unit before the command phase, and claim command there and a battle ability as an added benefit.

Obscure uses abound too: Use it to clear Tyranid infestation with irritating timing. Use it to get under Slaanesh's Temptation.

All in all, I think this is my favourite card. Not an autoinclude x3, but a definite consideration for splashing 1-2 copies out of any Ork warlord, and probably into Straken and Zarathur too.

War Father's Shadows again feels a little overpowered. The base of comparison here looks to be Honored Librarian, but I'd say Ambush is at least as good as Librarian's ability, and the resource thing is a bonus on top of that. While 4 cost might have been too high, I think this card could have cost the same and gone down to 1HP, which would balance all that aggression with fragility.

War Father Nathaniel is appropriately costed for its stats and ability, and is a nice new design space. Could be interesting out of Tau decks, as it could then benefit from Tau discounting and general ranged synergies, as well as having the subtle effect of encouraging an opponent to commit to resource planets, leaving a likelihood of higher card draw for the card-hungry Tau deck. I like this a lot, with my only complaint being that resource choke feels like it shouldn't be an SM mechanic. 

• sammann11, WarFather and dnapolitano like this

veezya

veezya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

So any word about "nerfing" Veterans? FB post suggest there's "chosen" word missing from card text. If not then i'll be happy to use playset in Vezuel deep striking decks.

WarFather

WarFather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

So any word about "nerfing" Veterans? FB post suggest there's "chosen" word missing from card text. If not then i'll be happy to use playset in Vezuel deep striking decks.

Official word from Jeremy is the card is missing the word "Chosen":

Forced Reaction: After this unit enters play, each player chooses a planet on his command dial, then simultaneously reveals it. Each player sacrifices an army unit at each chosen planet, if able. If both players choose the same planet, cancel this effect.

They were out of room on the card and had to edit text out. I would play the card how Jeremy intended.

• sammann11 likes this

LilBabyDragon

LilBabyDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Official word from Jeremy is the card is missing the word "Chosen":

Forced Reaction: After this unit enters play, each player chooses a planet on his command dial, then simultaneously reveals it. Each player sacrifices an army unit at each chosen planet, if able. If both players choose the same planet, cancel this effect.

They were out of room on the card and had to edit text out. I would play the card how Jeremy intended.

Well that was dumb of them. Taking out "chosen" totally changes the effect. If they were out of room, they should have just worded it as "at chosen planets, if able." The way it's worded now makes it seem like Consumption.

FerrusManus

FerrusManus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
And even with word CHOSEN it is still "kill lone heldrake with a pretty nice chance" for 2R.
  • sammann11 likes this

steinerp

steinerp

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts

When the play is obvious you get into a bluffing match with opponent which I think is sort of cool.  Because if you both choose the helldrakes planet, it lives.

• sammann11 likes this