Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Champion Set

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Well, it's not a problem.

They are not part of the official format, they have been done by amateurs. According to Warfather's timeline neither Brad nor FFG tested the cards. It's 36 cool cards for the champions so they have this little "extra" thing to play with their friends, and it's a cool reward for a champion.

What's frustrating about it is that the initial prize was for the cards to released as part of a future expansion, hence implying that it would be extensively tested in a manner similar to the other officially released cards. Thanks to the game ending they rushed them out before GW's deadline, hence why some of the cards are either missing text or have unnecessary text.

• Drazzt999 likes this

SoulTsunami

SoulTsunami

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

A lovely collection of totally busted stuff.  GJ.  

Austine

Austine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

A lovely collection of totally busted stuff.  GJ.  

Except the Herald of the Waaagh. That one is fine.

Gabb

Gabb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Why veteran and shadow pretty broken :)
https://youtu.be/n6Ja58wWOhI

But Warfather said the cards he argued for actually had better stats then the ones we have now

Dietzen

Dietzen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

But Warfather said the cards he argued for actually had better stats then the ones we have now

So... The cards would have been even more OP in their initial draft

WarFather

WarFather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

So... The cards would have been even more OP in their initial draft

Shadows we have is the shadows I argued for. It was never better than it is now.

Dietzen

Dietzen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Shadows we have is the shadows I argued for. It was never better than it is now.

Tbh still OP

WarFather

WarFather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Tbh still OP

That was the point for that card. Though if I knew SM were also getting Veteran, I might have took my card down a notch. 

mobj

mobj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

That was the point for that card. Though if I knew SM were also getting Veteran, I might have took my card down a notch. 

Yuh I think without veteran shadows is v. strong but its able to be factored in and dealt with. Crusader is the main problem I think - especially the luck factor

Dietzen

Dietzen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

I don't quite get why the point was to make an OP card? Why would one ever want to create OP cards regardless of current or future card pool.. and if you created the card at a time where you didn't know, the game would end, then certainly that would leave open a lot of risks for future OP combinations..

I don't believe the game needed another Klaivex.. at least that card was loyal. Stick a Shadow in a Straken deck and you've got an exceptional chance of bloodying a warlord. Or Tau with ambush platform...

WarFather

WarFather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Why would one ever want to create OP cards regardless of current or future card pool.. and if you created the card at a time where you didn't know, the game would end, then certainly that would leave open a lot of risks for future OP combinations..

I don't believe the game needed another Klaivex.. at least that card was loyal. Stick a Shadow in a Straken deck and you've got an exceptional chance of bloodying a warlord. Or Tau with ambush platform...

By the time I came to designing Shadows, I (and I think the community as well) was 100% aware the game was ending. Shadows was also designed to be loyal. FFG overturned that last minute without me knowing until I saw the final printed version. I heard Brad might tell the community why that happened, but with him being pretty busy with L5R, who knows if/when that could show up. I was allowed to make one OP card for SM, because SM was a bad faction at the end of the game. I go into the details heavily in the Designing a Championship Card Timeline thread.

• Skyknight likes this

Dietzen

Dietzen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

By the time I came to designing Shadows, I (and I think the community as well) was 100% aware the game was ending. Shadows was also designed to be loyal. FFG overturned that last minute without me knowing until I saw the final printed version. I heard Brad might tell the community why that happened, but with him being pretty busy with L5R, who knows if/when that could show up. I was allowed to make one OP card for SM, because SM was a bad faction at the end of the game. I go into the details heavily in the Designing a Championship Card Timeline thread.

Read it and it makes more sense now :-)
  • WarFather likes this