Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Reviewing Apoka Cards

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

GrimgorIronhide

GrimgorIronhide

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

The Good:

Spoiler

The Bad:

Spoiler

The shouldn't be in the game.

Spoiler

Warlords

Spoiler

• Skyknight and mobj like this

GrimgorIronhide

GrimgorIronhide

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Overall Apoka non-warlords cards, 70% are designed well.

Warlords... they need work... like a lot of work.

TeamApoka

TeamApoka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Hello there!

Thank you for the review (and your love for Junk Chucka Kommando ^^)

A few answers and clarifications about rules:

Celestian Amelia – [...] if I’m reading correctly, Shielding from AoE.
Correct. It helps against AoE.

Improvised Minefield – [...] The way it's worded, after you deepstrike it, you can attach it to any planet.
Incorrect. Deepstrike mini-rulebook: "When a player Deep Strikes an attachment card, it is immediately attached to an eligible card at the planet this attachment was in reserve at, or to the planet it was in reserve at itself.
Also see FFG example:

Embarked Squads – [...] There is no attachment or vehicle with Upgrade on it. Why have all that text on the card?
To prevent you to target the same unit twice with two Embarked Squads, resulting in 4 tokens put into play by a single retreating unit.

Cegorach’s  Jesters – a small, let me look at your hand. I don’t like having to remember which cards were chosen or not. Drawn out battle, people could start to forget.
You don't have to remember. See FAQ.
(1.2) Duration of “Reveal” - Whenever cards are revealed, they remain revealed until they arrive at their final destination as specified by the effect that caused the card to be revealed, or until the card effect is fully resolved.
Also see FFG wording for a card with a "Reveal" and without specified final destination:

Erupting Aberrants – [...] I assume you can’t target an army unit in HQ?
Correct. You can't target an army unit in HQ.

• Rinabros likes this

Austine

Austine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
Liatha is one of the most enjoyable warlords I've ever played.
The bluffing part is a gem, and the signature is balanced and enhances the theme. (Nowadays I mainly play online, but even there the bluff is good. I've watched DisturbedKiwi's game, so sweet to see that Archon Palace shielding for 2. ^^)

• FerrusManus likes this

Paavo

Paavo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

For what it's worth, I feel the latest Apoka pack has definitely been the most well designed and also contained the largest amount of cards per pack I'd use in a deck. I do not know if the Apoka Team has shifted its design philosophy or if you had a really great month of brainstorming but good job! The cards are definitely powerful but they are a big help for struggling Warlords.

• FerrusManus, Eu8L1ch, TeamApoka and 1 other like this

SoulTsunami

SoulTsunami

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

More like Apooka amirite?

Eu8L1ch

Eu8L1ch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

I don't get the hate for the Warlords - they are the thing I like the most about Apoka cards, I find all of them creatively designed and well balanced.

I cannot say the same for all the cards, as I think there are a few rather uninteresting ones and some complete duds; overall the majority of Apoka cards is probably not worth it from a purely competitive standpoint (Trapped Objective amongst the "good"? That card is clearly useless, from my point of view).

Just curious, have you ever played *with* the Parasite of Mortrex? He sounds crazy on paper, but when you play it you realise it's far from broken. Its ability is completely useless in the first round of the game. Maybe it's the design concept you don't like?

• Caldera, FerrusManus, Austine and 1 other like this

Austine

Austine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
GrimgorIronhide surely haven't play the warlords. I suppose his review is more like an attempt to "guess" how the cards perform in game.
When you play the warlords they are just fine. I played the Parasite a lot when it was released, it's a lot of fun to fly around looking for a prey, but the moment your opponent secured his positions you wish you were the Swarmlord. ^^ It's a very thematic gameplay, nothing broken.

• FerrusManus likes this

Eu8L1ch

Eu8L1ch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Assuming GrimgorIronhide thinks it's broken and not simply that he doesn't like the concept - maybe he played against them, but he didn't play *as* them. Many things seem broken when you play against them, but often you change your mind when you get to play them. My personal cirterion is that when you play something and you still have the impression that it's broken then it's clearly something that needs to be investigated (hello Orbital City :P).

As for the non-WL cards, Team Apoka is working hard to make sure there are no duds in a pack: we want every card to matter and to be useful for as many decks/warlords as possible (of course there will be cards stronger for a specific warlord, but the general idea is to avoid having cards that force players to use them in a single way).

@Paavo: <3 :D

• Caldera likes this

Dietzen

Dietzen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
I used to think that way about orb city, now I think it's just fine. Only broken card, like really broken, is the exarch

TeamApoka

TeamApoka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

For what it's worth, I feel the latest Apoka pack has definitely been the most well designed and also contained the largest amount of cards per pack I'd use in a deck. I do not know if the Apoka Team has shifted its design philosophy or if you had a really great month of brainstorming but good job! The cards are definitely powerful but they are a big help for struggling Warlords.

Thank you :)

To answer your question about the quality of the packs,
1/ We designed all cards for 2017-2018 and are doing only tests and balancing now. (Last week the Harlequin warlord fought against Anrakyr, 2-3. ^^) So, obviously, the latest packs benefit from more tests than the first ones.
2/ We have more and more champions joining the crew. Their inputs are precious and help our work.