Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2017 Store Championship results

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

farsight

farsight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

'tis the season again, so here we go. 

Niles IL 5/20/17 SC- 12 players

We had a nice attendance, even some people from Michigan! Thanks to everyone who came out :D  Local madman Nate came up with a ridiculous light side brew, smashed everyone and went undefeated to take 1st. 

1st - Nate F

LS - Smuggler Affil

2 x MTFBWY

2 x Questionable Contacts

2 x Running the Canyon

2 x Matter Under Mind

2 x Against all Odds

DS - Navy Affil

2 x Enforced Loyalty

2 x Tarkin Doctrine

2 x Technological Terror

2 x Might of the Empire

1 x Endor Entrapment

1 x Entrenched Defense

2nd- Farsight

LS - Jedi Affil

2 x MTFBWY

2 x Hero's Trial

1 x Flight of the Crow

1 x Watchers in the Wasteland

1 x Daughter of Tanaab

1 x The Survivors

1 x Secret of Yavin Four

1 x Hero's Beginning

DS - Navy Affil

2 x Tarkin Doctrine

2 x Technological Terror

2 x Might of the Empire

1 x Enforced Loyalty

1 x Endor Entrapment

1 x Entrenched Defense

1 x Imperial Entanglements

3rd - Monks

LS - Smuggler Affil

2 x Asteroid Sanctuary

2 x The Last Warrior

2 x Spark of Rebellion

2 x MTFBWY

1 x Gamor Run

1 x No Match for a Good Blaster

DS - Navy Affil

2 x Enforced Loyalty

2 x Tarkin Doctrine

2 x Might of the Empire

2 x Endor Entrapment

1 x Entrenched Defense

1 x Technological Terror

4th - Rio

LS - Jedi Affil

2 x MTFBWY

2 x Hero's Trial

2 x Heroes and Legends

2 x Hero's Beginning

1 x Flight of the Crow

1 x Watchers in the Wasteland

DS - Scum Affil

2 x High Exaltedness

2 x Masterful Manipulation

2 x Heartless Tactics

1 x Lady's Lesson

1 x Misson Command

1 x Hunter's Flight

1 x I Don't Like You, Either

• Muddervader, Boreas, Rio and 5 others like this

kiramode

kiramode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

'tis the season again, so here we go. 

Niles IL 5/20/17 SC- 12 players

We had a nice attendance, even some people from Michigan! Thanks to everyone who came out :D  Local madman Nate came up with a ridiculous light side brew, smashed everyone and went undefeated to take 1st. 

1st - Nate F

LS - Smuggler Affil

2 x MTFBWY

2 x Questionable Contacts

2 x Running the Canyon

2 x Matter Under Mind

2 x Against all Odds

Jank deck season is upon us.

• CooMasterCoo likes this

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

Jank deck season is upon us.

Hardly. Did you see the Dark Side lists?
  • scwont and kiramode like this

farsight

farsight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Hardly. Did you see the Dark Side lists?

Yeah, that LS deck definitely deserves a look. I had two decent starts with my navy deck against it and got wrecked twice. 

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Shout out to my man Rio for showing that real men play green. 

• scwont, Rio, yodaman and 4 others like this

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2211 posts

Shout out to my man Rio for showing that real men play green.

I do what I can. I actually really messed up in the top cut and I may have been able to place higher. I had an opportunity to copy Bamboozled with IDLYE and it would've allowed me to kill Han, and win on the next turn, but I didn't notice it until after the engagement. Oh well.
  • tierdal likes this

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

Yeah, that LS deck definitely deserves a look. I had two decent starts with my navy deck against it and got wrecked twice.

Played against Skyhopper last night. Won 1 lost 1 but mana oh man does that card make me angry.

There is no way that reaction should be able to occur at any time. Even in this cycle of OTTNPE Avenger is Conflict phase, Rav is Conflict phase.

This is the insane version of Core Vader on a 3 cost chassis with no restriction on the faction of the events.

You have been able to destroy an objective in refresh before but not with a free event + effect that remains on the board to be able to do it again. Being able to do this was always bad, making it much easier is just stupid.

kiramode

kiramode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

I guess the question with skyhopper is if the pod as a whole is worth running just for the ability to ping damage. Skyhopper itself is quite under-statted and it's not like the 1 drop is swinging games.

I didn't think about killing objectives during refresh. That's pretty strong. If an opponent doesn't have any event already in hand they just lose a resource.

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2211 posts

I guess the question with skyhopper is if the pod as a whole is worth running just for the ability to ping damage. Skyhopper itself is quite under-statted and it's not like the 1 drop is swinging games.

I didn't think about killing objectives during refresh. That's pretty strong. If an opponent doesn't have any event already in hand they just lose a resource.

People have been Rebel Assaulting Objectives during refresh since core. :)
  • CooMasterCoo likes this

kiramode

kiramode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

The difference is that it's free.....and in a better pod(presumably). I haven't personally given skyhopper much of a shot due to the weak combat abilities of the pod, but I may have to give the pod a much closer look.

kiramode

kiramode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

What's local madman Nate's handle on the forums? I need to pick his brain before I steal his deck.

RoyalAegis

RoyalAegis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

What's local madman Nate's handle on the forums? I need to pick his brain before I steal his deck.

Revenari I think? He's barely on here. Shoot me a message if he says anything though because I'm interested in the deck as well; it seems like a very streamlined version of what Anton suggested.

What I find maddening is that he and Farsight only ran one copy of Endor Entrapment. I ignored that pod for the longest time but four Gladiators are absolutely nuts. 

Also grats to my man Rio! I hope our Scum discussions helped out. All hail Pilot Boba. 

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

As Kiramode said at the cost of 2 resources. Now admittedly there is no combo there, just have 3 damage down and boom dead objective. But the pods are not that great, certainly at this stage in the lifecycle of the game.

There are other ways, like the event in the AT-AT set. It's a total troll move to play that in refresh and knock off 1-2 objectives so you can close out the game the next turn.

But both of these are events. They are one time thingsmand expensive. There are any number of free events you can use to trigger the Skyhopper. Yes it is a combo, but honestly you get down the card you have events. Brainiac or not you are still dealing automatic damage to objectives. It is your win condition. It sort of reminds me of Boushh but Boushh is limited enough that most of the ways to trigger him you can still play Star Wars on.

Skyhopper comes with a free recurring event. All you have to do it win the Force by 2. Um... okay, Jedi can do that. So play event and deal a damage. Get event back. Play event and deal a damage. That is a free, recurring, Rebel Assault. Combo yes but still really really not playing Star Wars.

Now I'm not saying the concept is bad. Just the lack of costs and restrictions. A recurring shield event should cost 1. Skyhopper should probably only be during the conflict phase. These would help. It would still be really good as combo's go but at least it would be at least a little more balanced.

I still have to play with it. I've only played against it. It's not fun to play against when it's rolling, but it might not be "perfect" enough to be the next Spark for example.

kiramode

kiramode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

Revenari I think? He's barely on here. Shoot me a message if he says anything though because I'm interested in the deck as well; it seems like a very streamlined version of what Anton suggested.

What I find maddening is that he and Farsight only ran one copy of Endor Entrapment. I ignored that pod for the longest time but four Gladiators are absolutely nuts. 

Also grats to my man Rio! I hope our Scum discussions helped out. All hail Pilot Boba. 

I assumed it was someone else because Ferraro always seems to have his whole name posted when he wins a tourney(of which he wins a lot). There's a lot of little nuances I see with the deck that I'm intrigued with. Mainly I like the ability to counter attack when your opponent inevitably gets desperate after taking ping damage. 

GreedoShotFirst

GreedoShotFirst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
Alas we now enter the overwhelming oppressive force of the death star imperial navy meta.

May God have mercy on our souls.
  • kiramode likes this

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2211 posts

Alas we now enter the overwhelming oppressive force of the death star imperial navy meta.
May God have mercy on our souls.

My Scum deck was undefeated in swiss, I am also convinced it could've gone further if I wasn't​a bone head.

Arkard

Arkard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1101 posts

I kind of agree the event probably shouldn't recur in Skyhopper's set. I think that set is much more fun if you build around it a bit, kind of like the winning LS list is. I've played it in a event heavy deck so you can both abuse the objective and the skyhopper and it's super fun.

But let's be honest, with all the BS cards the darkside plays these days, Skyhopper's set feels just fine.

• Ignithas, kiramode and Lertush like this

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

But let's be honest, with all the BS cards the darkside plays these days, Skyhopper's set feels just fine.

Yes this is true. But I kind of feel like the BS cards are a little out of hand in this cycle on both sides.

Like I said, I need to play with and against it more. Then you get a sense of it in the same way that swindled feels desperately unfair when you are just starting out. But for that reason I think I wouldn't recommend this cycle to new players.
  • Arkard likes this

farsight

farsight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

I'm not sure what Nate was doing, but even though I do love the Gladiators I felt like I was getting 5 or 6 control rooms every game and it was driving me a little nuts, so I shaved 1 of those and 1 Enforced. Still had resources for the death star in all but one of my games, but I missed those extra Gladiators. I might drop technological terror down to one to add the other Entrapment back in.

monks

monks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Nate's deck is a beast as I had to face it twice on Saturday.  It doesn't just rely on the Skyhopper pings as I think he only saw the Skyhopper once in both games I played against him.  It is more that everything works in conjunction with each other and each pod and the subsequent cards in those pods all play nice with each other creating a variety of several different combos going on.  Believe me, 2 recurring shields every turn is maddening to play against.