Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2017 Store Championship results

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

CataractCowboy

CataractCowboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

I didn't know you left!  Are you in Kansas now?

Yes.  Moved in September.

• fliptheforce likes this

fliptheforce

fliptheforce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Yes.  Moved in September.

My old stomping ground.  If you haven't been yet, head out to Collector's Cache.  I've known those guys since '94 - they have a booth every year at Gencon too.  Great store, great people.  Also, Action Sports on the KCMO side is pretty nice but they focus mainly on MtG.  

Jackpls

Jackpls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

6 Players Wayland Games Hockley

Light Side 2-1

1 Gamor

2 Spark 

2 Last Warrior

2 MTFBWY

2 Falcon 

1 Han/Chewie

Dark Side 3-0

2 Xixor

2 Jabba

2 Hunters

2 Dengar

1 IDLYE

1 4Lom / Zuckuss GA

Lost game on light side I had Spark in play turn one and never hit with it, even through Asteroid Sanctuary cycling cards. 

Dark side could probably cut Jabba but I'm not sure for what.

• farsight and Beyondthedungeon like this

Jackofhearts4321

Jackofhearts4321

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

POPULAR

Hey y'all! I won Aether Game Cafe's (Hoboken, NJ) 9 person Store championship. My scum deck is awesome and my jedi deck is boring.

Scum

2x The Lady's Lesson

Masterful Manipulation

Heartless Tactics

1x I Don't Like You, Either

Tatooine Crash

The Slave Trade

Lucrative Contract

Jedi (lame)

2x May the Force Be Lame

The Survivlames

A Lame Hero's Begining

A Lame Hero's Trial

1x Watchers in the Lameland

Follaming Fate

I have no regrets.

• samuellinde, doctormungmung, Rio and 8 others like this

kiramode

kiramode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

2x The Lady's Lesson

I have no regrets.

You really should though. I don't know if a standard confession can wash away this sin.

Beyondthedungeon

Beyondthedungeon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Jedi (lame)
2x May the Force Be Lame
The Survivlames
A Lame Hero's Begining
A Lame Hero's Trial
1x Watchers in the Lameland
Follaming Fate

I have no regrets.

I love this! So much lol'ing.

Did it not do well or was just boring?

Jackofhearts4321

Jackofhearts4321

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

It dominated. But I am a bad person for running it. We can do better than 2 year old Jedi. We HAVE to do better :-p

Lady V is the bee's knees, and it was my favorite pod of the afternoon. MVP. Also, Galactic Scum. I immediately took out IDLYE after the tournament and put in more Scum. Because I love them.

• Rio and Beyondthedungeon like this

Letux

Letux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1590 posts
I'd be scared to attack it.
  • MacRauri likes this

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2209 posts

You really should though. I don't know if a standard confession can wash away this sin.

The pod is awesome. I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not...

kiramode

kiramode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

The pod is awesome. I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not...

Not sarcasm. I really hate the existence of Vicious Counterattack. 

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2209 posts

Not sarcasm. I really hate the existence of Vicious Counterattack.

Why? It punishes the LS for over commiting to an attack. With Specter and from what we've seen of Jyn and Cassian it's actually needed more now than ever.

darthbs

darthbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1059 posts

Why? It punishes the LS for over commiting to an attack. With Specter and from what we've seen of Jyn and Cassian it's actually needed more now than ever.

But it also punishes LS for ANY attack they make. It would be much fairer if it were along the lines of if 2 or more units are attacking then do this. I've lost too many cap ships to that thing.

Though if our speculation is true I don't think jyn cassian will care that much.
  • Rio likes this

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2209 posts

But it also punishes LS for ANY attack they make. It would be much fairer if it were along the lines of if 2 or more units are attacking then do this. I've lost too many cap ships to that thing.
Though if our speculation is true I don't think jyn cassian will care that much.

That's more than fair TBH. Another thing that makes it a "NPE" is the action window before edge battle.
  • darthbs likes this

kiramode

kiramode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

The fact that it kills any attack is the real problem. There's no viable counter play. It also negates the edge battle. It neutralizes skill in favor of luck and forces players into positions where they know they're banking on probabilities instead of tactical actions. Cards that give opponents no chance interacting shouldn't be in the game for either side.

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2209 posts

The fact that it kills any attack is the real problem. There's no viable counter play. It also negates the edge battle. It neutralizes skill in favor of luck and forces players into positions where they know they're banking on probabilities instead of tactical actions. Cards that give opponents no chance interacting shouldn't be in the game for either side.

The skill comes from the LS player playing around the event and not over commiting to an attack. That's the skill and interaction. It's not like it's secret information you know they are running the pod.

No interaction could be playing Holding all the cards looped into Infinity to mill your opponent. Or stashing a Falcon under an objective and getting it in for 2. The DS has very little to stop that, and it leads to 0 interaction.

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

I consistently find it funny how you think the LS is busted and I think the DS is busted.

Cassian at least will offer a counter to Viscious Counter Attack, which will be super brutal as Scum will have focused two unitsbto do it.

Cassian's set probably is busted as all get out. I think I might have to play him with Following Fate so the DS is damned if they played mono and damned if they don't.

PS: I still think the Skyhopper and Yoda are busted. ;-)
  • Rio likes this

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2209 posts

I consistently find it funny how you think the LS is busted and I think the DS is busted.
Cassian at least will offer a counter to Viscious Counter Attack, which will be super brutal as Scum will have focused two unitsbto do it.
Cassian's set probably is busted as all get out. I think I might have to play him with Following Fate so the DS is damned if they played mono and damned if they don't.
PS: I still think the Skyhopper and Yoda are busted. ;-)

Play styles I think more than anything. :)

kiramode

kiramode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

The skill comes from the LS player playing around the event and not over commiting to an attack. That's the skill and interaction. It's not like it's secret information you know they are running the pod.

No interaction could be playing Holding all the cards looped into Infinity to mill your opponent. Or stashing a Falcon under an objective and getting it in for 2. The DS has very little to stop that, and it leads to 0 interaction.

Big differences here. LS can't commit to any attack because the moment they do they lose all their attackers and on top of that DS gets to use all their tactics to lock out any potential attackers. If DS has the card your turn just ends. 

The infinite mill has loads of counter play from aggression, to force holding, to kill spells that disrupt discard piles, to simply playing scum. It's not a good deck for a reason.

As for the 2 mana Falcon, you can still block it. It doesn't eliminate combat entirely. It's a tempo play on par with Owen and Holocron(it just has harder build requirements). Tempo plays are incredibly powerful, but they still let your opponent interact with the game.

There's also no nuance to Vicious Counterattack. All you have to do is play scum and it's always active. Worst case scenario you kill a main unit for 1 mana and auto win edge. Worst case scenario. 

Other board clear effects require a lot of work and/or resources to pull off. Your deck has to be crafted a certain way, your playstyle has to change, and you almost always need your opponent to play in a certain way. Real thought needs to be put in.

Jackofhearts4321

Jackofhearts4321

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I actually feel like Lady's lesson needs to be heavuly built around. 2 open characters is actualy a lot, especially considering how many pods in scum feature a vehicle, droid, or creature as the main or second unit. I'd tried Lady V for quite some time, and this was the build that finally made it work. Jawas was the key.

Vicious counterattack is brutal. But its definitely playable around, and I definitely have lost several games with this deck. As colby likes to point out, its highly telegraphed, and a single bamboozle or cheap tactics unit can mitigate or remove it, not even counting the Phantos ability to completely bypass it. Have you played much against it Kiramode? I think it looks far worse on paper than it actually is.

kiramode

kiramode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

I actually feel like Lady's lesson needs to be heavuly built around. 2 open characters is actualy a lot, especially considering how many pods in scum feature a vehicle, droid, or creature as the main or second unit. I'd tried Lady V for quite some time, and this was the build that finally made it work. Jawas was the key.
Vicious counterattack is brutal. But its definitely playable around, and I definitely have lost several games with this deck. As colby likes to point out, its highly telegraphed, and a single bamboozle or cheap tactics unit can mitigate or remove it, not even counting the Phantos ability to completely bypass it. Have you played much against it Kiramode? I think it looks far worse on paper than it actually is.

I playtested it quite a bit because I honestly couldn't believe it got made and needed to know everything I could about it.

What I learned is that the event itself can't really be played around. You can theoretically put in event cancel, but then you just lose to either Navy or Sith because the pods with event cancel can't hang on the board.

What you can do is kick the crap out of Lady Valarian. Her chuds suck, she sucks, and the force attack event is meh at best. So mkre often than not you can place yourself so far ahead on the board that the game will be over before the event can turn things around. Basically the inverse situation of placing Core Lando in your deck as a LS player to cancel events, but losing the game because Vader/Mara/ Palp/Gorc/Inqusitor are all just way better than Lando on the table.

So games on a macro become dice rolls of how many games will you win because you draw Vicious Counter Attack by turns 3-4 vs how many games do you lose because of poor unit quality. I personally found the answer to be that you win slightly more than you lose, but given that there are pods out there that will win you games, but never cause you to lose, it felt kind of dumb to keep pressing forward with the deck.

But just because the pod as a whole isn't tier one doesn't mean that the card in question is forgivable. There are lots of cards that are incredibly dumb that(thankfully) are in crap pods.