Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Defenders of the Faith Deluxe Expansion Preview

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

TeamApoka

TeamApoka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

An article from the Living Card Guy.

http://aeither.net/t...-faith-and-you/

Enjoy!

• killaszit, Eu8L1ch, Austine and 3 others like this

LilBabyDragon

LilBabyDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

So the Hospitaller lets you exhaust an enemy army unit -- regardless of its unique or elite status -- and since it doesn't say "target," can't be Backlashed.

And you can ambush it in with Staging Ground.

And it gives you faith tokens.

And it has a command icon.

For 2 cost.

Ummmmm............ seems strong.

• Rinabros likes this

SlaaneshDevotee

SlaaneshDevotee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

All very good points. I think it should probably target, but I think allowing Elites to be affected is fine given the current meta. 3 Faith Tokens is effectively 3 Hp, which could all go on your Warlord if you like? Or on this unit, ensuring it survives the hit from the exhausted unit. I would say that is worth a resource or even two by itself. Then, the stats of the unit look to be worth 2 easily enough.

All in all, I would say it should be a 3 or even 4 cost unit.

• Rinabros likes this

Tytou

Tytou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

From writer of the article :

Kyle O'Hagan : So when I wrote the article there were doing final runs on the cards. So don't be surprised if the costs does change a bit or something on the card text changes. 1f642.png

So let see how that card evolve. Still a month! BTW, It's great to read new articles about Conquest again !

We:)

• SlaaneshDevotee and Rinabros like this

Koldro

Koldro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Now that's crazy! Thx for the spoilers!

The Faith system is very interesting.
It is used "instead" of shielding, so it is not as good as HP. If you get hit for 3 on your Tallarn Raider with 1 Faith, his faith can't save him (hu hu).
And it leaves play at the end of the turn. Mh, if you put 4 Faith on a single unit with Holy Chapel (you can do that right?) and it gets routed (Archon's Terror), then you lost everything. I need to do the maths... mh............. my brain.....

Austine

Austine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

LET ME READ THIS!

1469897072419.png

• Ultramarine, FerrusManus, Tytou and 1 other like this

SlaaneshDevotee

SlaaneshDevotee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Instead of Shielding is a good point. If it is totally replacing shields, then that makes it not quite as good as just adding HP I think.

FerrusManus

FerrusManus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Instead of Shielding is a good point. If it is totally replacing shields, then that makes it not quite as good as just adding HP I think.

How many cards with 4 shield icon you have?
And you can have 3 Chapel on the table at one time.
And this is only few card that gives faith that have been spoiled.
It will give great sustain to AM units.
But... sm? They already have solid units (BAV with 4 faith and clearcut?!).
Will see

FerrusManus

FerrusManus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Question to Apoka.
Its a bit early to speak but will next cycle include new WH40k units like Primaris, Gulliman and etc? :)

TeamApoka

TeamApoka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Question to Apoka.
Its a bit early to speak but will next cycle include new WH40k units like Primaris, Gulliman and etc? :)

It's not too early to speak about the next cycle. ^^

90% of our choices are based on what graphic material we can find. As an example, we would love to explore even more the Kroot theme, but it starts being far too hard to find a good illustration. If you look closely at the Trap Laying Hunter, you'll notice the kroot has been photoshoped into the jungle background. It tooks over an hour to do this. But because people are spending real money on the printing, we make quality our top priority. (So, we are working on a big invasion of the Mechanicus, because thanks to the latest books there is a ton of wonderful illustrations.)

Now the knowledge of the lore is also important. We are happy to design cards that really make us feel in our favorite grimdark universe. ^^ The new lore, Primaris, etc, is a bit new to everyone.

That said, if GW showers us with illustrations, the lore is easy to catch and the Conquest community wants the game to follow the new lore, we can try. ^^ (Spoiler alert: We decided to pick up a bit of the best of DoW3 illustrations for some surprises)

SlaaneshDevotee

SlaaneshDevotee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
Please, don't follow the new lore. It's bad enough that FFG made a Centurion card...
  • Austine likes this

ItsDrake

ItsDrake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Please, don't follow the new lore. It's bad enough that FFG made a Centurion card...

you mean you don't want to stare at these on the other side of the board:

Inceptor1.jpg

• Ultramarine likes this

SlaaneshDevotee

SlaaneshDevotee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Inceptor1.jpg

I'm going blind!

FerrusManus

FerrusManus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

I'm going blind!

Why? I like new design. Its a bit more...techical? sci-fi? futuristic?
Not just knight armor from medieval.

Ultramarine

Ultramarine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Inceptor1.jpg

I like it actually.  It's bigger, more futuristic, and who doesn't like guns with shields on them?  

To Apoka:  Please include Grey Knight cards in the next cycle.  I'd think there are many artworks out there that you can use.

SlaaneshDevotee

SlaaneshDevotee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Why? I like new design. Its a bit more...techical? sci-fi? futuristic?
Not just knight armor from medieval.

Okay, I'm going to use this question to unload my feelings about GWs direction for 40k recently. This is not really directed at you, so hopefully I don't come across the wrong way.

To me, Warhammer 40,000 is meant to be a medieval dark ages set in the year 40,000, where fear and superstition rule because the universe is a vast and uncaring place that offers no hope or respite. Everything about its origins says 'these are civilisations that are struggling along well AFTER the time that they had strength and power'.

The Imperium is repressive and guided by ritual, they don't understand how their technology works at all, and their good technology is revered and carefully tended to as a relic. There is no reason that a dreadnought or terminator armour should be venerated or rare given the resources the Imperium should be able to pool. However, they are treated that way because of the decay in knowledge and power in the civilisation.

Space Marines were the knights, often fervent believers in the Imperium (although changing them to be athiest was bad in my opinion. Its a future Dark age, of course you worship the one light source that allows you to move around and you think saved you from aliens!). They were immensely powerful, almost gods to the humans around them.

The Eldar are similar, clawing at whatever they think might prolong the death of their civilization for as long as possible. Farseers sacrificing aliens, Dark Eldar torturing captives, Exodites hiding from the Chaos Gods, it's all desperate denial that the end of their time has come.

Necrons live up to this really well. Orks are a solid generic threat. Tau were vaguely interesting for bringing in the new perspective of 'Our good times are still to come!' but also tempered with hints of mind control and lack of freedom.

Chaos of course is the eventual enemy. Originally the four powers were more clearly defined in their roles, with philosophical motifs rather than just 'gets fat and sick'. I liked that.

Okay, with all of that in place, I really didn't like the Horus Heresy novels. To me, the mythology of the Heresy was perfect as a half-remembered, probably wrong, depiction of larger than life heroes who strode the world. It showed the societal memory of what the had once been capable of, and contrasted with the much lesser place they know existed in.

But reading the novels destroyed that image. The Heresy was brought down to mundane reality.

Along the same lines, this is what GW are doing with the storyline of 40k. Returning a primarch, to lead a new crusade of secretly developed high-tech marines, who are even more super than the previously supposed angels of death? This undermines the entire basis of the IP, that decay of civilisation. Suddenly now it is an age of innovation, leadership, new technology and new ideas. That's not what 40k was meant to be. Although, the sacrifice of a craftworld to spawn a new Eldar god that might fight for them does actually fit into their theme I guess.

At least, to me.

So, the Centurions, those new Primaris marines; they all look more high tech, which is exactly what they shouldn't be. They should be ritualistic, shrines to warfare, adorned with symbols and not stripped down and sleek equipment.

I hope that is all clear. Sorry for the wall of text.

• Ultramarine likes this

Loubino

Loubino

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Boum!
1-0 for Slaanesh-Devotee.

If I may add, the Adeptus Mechanicus is supposed to be the supreme keeper of mankind's technology as well as the providers of it. If you look at the Adeptus Mechanicus, a superb mix of medieval rituals and strange machinery. How? How it comes they provide and produce stuff that looks like Evangelion?
Don't get me wrong, the miniatures are beautiful. Out of context they are. But it doesn't match. How a grimdark factory, using simili-sorcery to activates ancient manufactorum, filled with the black smoke of long forgotten reactors, deep in the heart of strange vaults covered with runes and symbols of a dreaded machine-god, could possibly produce armors that looks like they have been designed by Apple and produced in a modern factory somewhere in California? ^^

• SlaaneshDevotee likes this

Jamesfopsy

Jamesfopsy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
It does kind of give the feeling of grinding for nothing. Were expansions always yearly?

ItsDrake

ItsDrake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

i just think they look like the little brother from Christmas Story when hes all bundled up and cant move