Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pack V - "Stars Aligned" Champions' Review

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

TeamApoka

TeamApoka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Here it is!
The Champions' Review. Some reading for the week-end!
Stars Aligned is scrutinized by the champions. FleePa0, current BCL Champion, joined the crew to share his analyze (and he didn't hesitate to distribute some 1/5 marks! Ouch!).

Enjoy:

• veezya, Rinabros, Austine and 1 other like this

Austine

Austine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
Omg! Luring Troupe.
I missed FleePa0's combo with Baharroth's event and Spezy's combo with Concealing Darkness!
With this in mind, the unit is very interesting. 
Is there any viable deck using Concealing Darkness? Never heard of one.

JeffS

JeffS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Is there any viable deck using Concealing Darkness? Never heard of one.

Not that I have heard of. ^^
Luring Troupe + Concealed Darkness is indeed a very nice combo. I'm wondering if there is a viable deck with Concelead Darkness now.

My main concern is Vamii Industrial Complex.
Flee and Eul rate it 1/5, and Sepzy says it's a gread design (3.5/5).
That's a very large difference.^^
Who is right?

Before I read the reviews, I believe it was a 5/5. If I wait 1 turn, I can ambush an Imperial Fists Devastators, force my opponent warlord to retreat, get a 1R reduction AND destroy a support by surprise before P1 battle starts. Seems huge.

Austine

Austine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
I see more and more Counterblow in games.

Now with the addition of Coldstorm Hjorvath that some strong reasons not to play Kith. I'm wondering how this is going to influence the meta. (Chaos already has a 1 Cost 3/3 thus, the Heretek Inventor.)

About Vamii Industrial Complex, it's hard to say. Definitly not a 1/5 to me. But if two champions think so, I may be wrong. :P

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

I think Planet Absorption might be broken. If you have no planets in your victory display you can resolve the first sentence but fail to resolve the second, at which point the Rules Reference guide dictates that the remainder of the ability cannot be resolved, which means that you wont lose the game at the end of the round.

I don't have the rules ref to hand to double check that it's definitely the case, but I'm quite sure that it is. It should be reworded to include the game losing effect before the desired trigger, or reword it to say "Remove a planet to gain resources/cards. Then ...."

Ultramarines

Ultramarines

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I think Planet Absorption might be broken. If you have no planets in your victory display you can resolve the first sentence but fail to resolve the second, at which point the Rules Reference guide dictates that the remainder of the ability cannot be resolved, which means that you wont lose the game at the end of the round.

I don't have the rules ref to hand to double check that it's definitely the case, but I'm quite sure that it is. It should be reworded to include the game losing effect before the desired trigger, or reword it to say "Remove a planet to gain resources/cards. Then ...."

It may be the first time I ever heard someone associate Tyranids with the word Broken.  ;) 

• Kaloo likes this

TeamApoka

TeamApoka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Don't worry, it is not broken. ^^

- The card has intended and written
You lose the game at the end of the round.
Note that the losing effect is a standalone sentence starting with a "When", a timing keyword used only to describe Interrupt effects. The second sentence is independent to the first one and add a special event at the end of the round.
But even if this is unclear, here are the rules:

- The rules
(rulebook page 4):
A card ability may be initiated if all or part of its effect is able to resolve. Once initiated, players must resolve as much of an effect as they are able, unless the effect uses the word “may.”
(rulebook page 15):
If the effect text of an ability includes the word “then,” the text preceding the word “then” must be successfully resolved (or be true) in full before the remainder of the effect described after the word “then” can be resolved.

Planet Absorption says:
Deploy Action: Gain 3 [Resource] and draw 3 cards. Then remove a planet in your victory display from the game. When this round ends or when another event named "Planet Absorption" is played, you lose the game. Max 1 per round.

The text preceding the word "then" is "Gain 3R and draw 3C". If this is successfully resolved (or true) then the remainder of the effect can be resolved. (page 15)
So, unless you can't draw 3C and gain 3R, you must proceed with the rest of the ability and resolves "as much of the effect as you are able" (page 4), unless the effect uses the word "may" (which is not the case here).

• steinerp and Ultramarines like this

TeamApoka

TeamApoka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

1qh9fg.jpg

• Ultramarines likes this

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Yep, mistake on my part. Nothing to see here folks :)