Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Imotekh the Stormlord deck thread

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Eu8L1ch

Eu8L1ch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Looks like this was the last warlord left without a thread - which had me wondering, since he is very interesting deckbuilding-wise, in my opinion.

Points of note:

- You want a number of units higher than average, since you need to be able to discard them reliably.

- You want some discard effects, possibly from both hand and top of the deck.

- You want some aggressively-costed units with weak textboxes ("vessels") and some units with a strong textbox ("ghosts") - even better if they're good as a whole, but the textbox matters the most.

Now the tricky part: how many of each?

I am not certain about anything, but I would restrict the number of "otherwise useless" ghosts to a minimum, otherwise the deck tends to become too unreliable. In addition to this, the fact the ability can be used only once per round means it's more of a strong bonus rather than something you can rely completely upon: if you have a bunch of mediocre vessels, you're going to be able to make only a single one into a strong unit.

Final point: the temptation to go all-in with units and forsake shields completely is strong, but I think it'd be a mistake, since shields are a cheap but powerful thing to have.

So, here is my stab at an Imotekh deck:

Imotekh the Stormlord

Armies (34)
4x Court of the Stormlord
3x Parasitic Scarabs
3x Harbinger of Eternity
2x Decaying Warrior Squad
2x Inquisitor Caius Wroth
2x The Duke of Debris
3x Void Pirate
3x Rogue Trader
3x Mindless Pain Addict
3x Bloodied Reavers
3x Furious Wraithblade
3x Daring Assault Squad

Attachments (4)
1x Supreme Strategist
3x Dynastic Weaponry

Events (11)
2x The Strength of the Enemy
3x Mechanical Enhancement
3x Drudgery
3x Recycle

Supports (1)
1x Sautekh Royal Crypt

The only strict ghost is the Daring Assault Squad, whereas the only vessel that really necessitates a textbox swap is the Mindless Pain Addict (worst case scenario, you can use a Void Pirate).

Bloodied Reavers are a flexible unit, decent both when used as a Ghost and as a regular unit - the same goes for the Wraithblade, although its textbox is much stronger.

I'm sure there are still many possibilities to explore though, so I'm looking forward to playing more with the Stormlord.

I'm curious to read what you guys have come up with!

Ultramarine

Ultramarine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

This is my first attempt at Imotekh.  The ideas are similar to Eugenio's in that units with good stats but bad abilities are used for vessels so good abilities can be exchanged with theirs and provide you with better than average units in play.

Imotekh the Stormlord

Army (34)
3x Bloodied Reavers (Zogwort's Curse)
3x Carnivore Pack (Core Set)
4x Court of the Stormlord (Stars Aligned)
3x Furious Wraithblade (Jungles of Nectavus)
3x Harbinger of Eternity (Legions of Death)
2x Mindless Pain Addict (Enemy Territory)
2x Ratling Deadeye (Core Set)
3x Rogue Trader (Core Set)
2x Stalking Ur-Ghul (Decree of Ruin)
3x Tactical Squad Cardinis (Core Set)
3x Vior'la Marksman (Core Set)
3x Void Pirate (Core Set)
Attachment (1)
1x Supreme Strategist (Stars Aligned)
Event (12)
3x Drudgery (Legions of Death)
2x Mechanical Enhancement (Legions of Death)
2x Optimized Protocol (Breaching the Veil)
3x Recycle (Legions of Death)
2x The Strength of the Enemy (Stars Aligned)
Support (4)
1x Particle Whip (Legions of Death)
1x Sautekh Royal Crypt (Stars Aligned)
2x Weight of the Aeons (Legions of Death)

Created with: www.conquestdb.com

• Eu8L1ch likes this

Koldro

Koldro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I won my Round 2 of Renewed Faith with Imotekh. :P He is fantastic.

@Eulich,
Why 3x Mechanical Enhancement? You have very few targets for it in your deck. Is there a special reason I don't see?
And, Wroth, are you using it only because he is vessel, or do you think it's important to have 1-2 Wroth in a competitive deck? I ask because I don't see him much.

@Ultramarine
Isn't it strange to play Particle Whip? Who do you justify it when Imotekh really want units to stay in the discard pile for later use. Weight of Aeons alone is about to allow to feed both Imotekh and Particle Whip?

And, a general question,
I see none of you use Flayed Ones Pack. Is it considered a bad card to discard quickly?

• Eu8L1ch likes this

Eu8L1ch

Eu8L1ch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

@Koldro

Yeah, he really is a blast to play!

Re: ME, aside from the 2-shields (I like them as I mentioned) no real reason - so you're right. I'm adding in Optimized Protocol instead. I have just the sig unit as real targets, but I guess it's still better than the unlikely alternative in which ME benefits me more.

As an aside, I am also considering the Warriors of Gidrim, but the other cappers still look better.

As for Wroth, he surely makes for a decent vessel (immunity to Terror to boot!) but the main reason is discarding any ghost that might end up clogging my hand. He's also a pretty potent situational play, and the discard synergy for me is what grants the include.

Re. Flayed Ones Pack, they were literally the last cards I cut - it was either them or the Reavers, so the latter performing a double function is what prompted me to include them. However, seeing as the Flayed Ones synergise both with Scarabs and Protocol, I might add them back if I notice I have enough ghosts to discard.

Ultramarines

Ultramarines

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I won my Round 2 of Renewed Faith with Imotekh. :P He is fantastic.

@Eulich,
Why 3x Mechanical Enhancement? You have very few targets for it in your deck. Is there a special reason I don't see?
And, Wroth, are you using it only because he is vessel, or do you think it's important to have 1-2 Wroth in a competitive deck? I ask because I don't see him much.

@Ultramarine
Isn't it strange to play Particle Whip? Who do you justify it when Imotekh really want units to stay in the discard pile for later use. Weight of Aeons alone is about to allow to feed both Imotekh and Particle Whip?

And, a general question,
I see none of you use Flayed Ones Pack. Is it considered a bad card to discard quickly?

Particle Whip is a fail safe in case my Weight of Aeons milled too many of my cards and I need to shuffle some cards back to stay in the game.  

AlexKev

AlexKev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Now that the league is over (for me :P) here is the deck I played with.
It's an inspiration of Eulich+Ultramarine decks.

I moved out the Bloodied Reavers and I decided to go with a lot of different units. I've found that, during the course of the game, I have a lot of units in my discard pile. The idea was to have many different units to get an answer to each problem that may arise.

My addition to your decks are the Reanimating Warriors. It's a very honest ability to copy. It helped me bully planet 1 with a lone unit quite a few games. Usually when you do this, if your opponent commit/deploy heavily, your bluff is called out and you lose the unit. With the Reanimating Warriors in your discard pile, you can put the pressure, and lose nothing if your opponent answers aggressively.

Also, I didn't include the Particle Whip Ultramarine suggested and I guess I should give it a try, I often end up with more units than I really need in my discard pile.

Imotekh the Stormlord

Army (35)
3x Carnivore Pack (Core Set)
4x Court of the Stormlord (Stars Aligned)
3x Daring Assault Squad (Core Set)
2x Dread Command Barge (The Warp Unleashed)
3x Furious Wraithblade (Jungles of Nectavus)
1x Harbinger of Eternity (Legions of Death)
2x Inquisitor Caius Wroth (Descendants of Isha)
3x Reanimating Warriors (Legions of Death)
2x Rogue Trader (Core Set)
2x Saim-Hann Kinsman (Wrath of the Crusaders)
1x Silvered Blade Avengers (Core Set)
3x Tactical Squad Cardinis (Core Set)
1x The Duke of Debris (Overrun)
2x Void Pirate (Core Set)
3x Warlock Destructor (Gift of the Ethereals)

Attachment (2)
1x Promotion (Core Set)
1x Supreme Strategist (Stars Aligned)

Event (11)
1x Calibration Error (Promise of War)
1x Counterblow (Breaching the Veil)
1x Necrodermis (Enemy Territory)
3x Reanimation Protocol (Legions of Death)
3x Recycle (Legions of Death)
2x The Strength of the Enemy (Stars Aligned)

Support (2)
1x Promethium Mine (Core Set)
1x Sautekh Royal Crypt (Stars Aligned)

Created with: www.conquestdb.com

• SlaaneshDevotee likes this

SlaaneshDevotee

SlaaneshDevotee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

I may have to give that list a try

AlexKev

AlexKev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I may have to give that list a try

To be honest, I just wanted to share my own creation. But I really don't consider myself an expert player. Many a connoisseur may frown at this list because I removed Drudgery. ^^ (I don't like this card, it's good on paper, but it's never the moment to play it as soon as you are in a real fight)

Ultramarines

Ultramarines

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

To be honest, I just wanted to share my own creation. But I really don't consider myself an expert player. Many a connoisseur may frown at this list because I removed Drudgery. ^^ (I don't like this card, it's good on paper, but it's never the moment to play it as soon as you are in a real fight)

Drudgery and Optimized Protocol go well together, and once you have a Harbinger of Eternity on the board you can use that combo anytime they are in the discard pile.  

• SlaaneshDevotee and AlexKev like this

AlexKev

AlexKev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Oh!

I totally missed the combo there!

Because Drudgery is non-Necron only and Optimized Protocol is Necron only, my brain sort of told me "those are mutually exclusive".

You can sneak back a Mindless pain addict, then chain with a Court of the Stormlord that can trigger again and increase your chances to get what you need in the discard pile, then change Mindless pain addict's ability for the battle with Imotekh... No way! :) I want to try this now!

• Ultramarines likes this