Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Should FFG Change Mace Windu?

Mace Windu

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Make FFG Change Mace Windu. (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Should FFG Change Mace Windu?

1. Yes. (3 votes [15.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

2. No. (14 votes [70.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

3. I'm not sure. He might be better than you think. (3 votes [15.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

4. I think he is overpowered. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

How Should FFG Change Mace Windu?

1. Lower his point cost. (4 votes [18.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

2. Change his ability. (3 votes [13.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

3. Make his dice better. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Increase his health. (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

5. No Change. (14 votes [63.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

5P33D

5P33D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

The Mace Windu character that FFG recently spoiled will be released in the next set Empire at War. I believe that he is completly trash and will not be able to beat any of the top decks such as Vader/Raider and Poe/Maz. Mace Windu is my favorite character in all of star wars and I have been waiting for FFG to make his character ever since I found out about the game.

Even though FFG has spoiled the card I want them to make Mace Windu better before releasing him. If you feel the same please vote yes on the pole. Thanks, and let's make Mace Windu playable.

GooeyChewie

GooeyChewie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Can you add a "No change" to the bottom poll?  It won't let me vote in just the top one, and I want to vote "no."

• 5P33D likes this

5P33D

5P33D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Can you add a "No change" to the bottom poll?  It won't let me vote in just the top one, and I want to vote "no."

I added the "No change" that you requested. But if you would like to explain, I was wondering why you want to vote no. I think that he is going to be terrible. Of course I am still going to make a deck with him and play it because he is my favorite character, but I probably won't be playing it in any tournaments. I heard someone say recently that if a character is going to be that many points they need to have an ability that is always active. And I completely agree. It has to be something like Vader's ability that gets to happen every time he activates, which is every round of the game until he is defeated.

Abyss

Abyss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

So if a character had five 3 damage sides it's bad because it doesn't have a good ability? (Yes, obviously he doesn't, but you can't just ignore the character's other attributes).

Anyway, it's not going to change. Production happens months in advance. You've also got to consider that a) he's presumably been playtested to a degree, B) not being good against the top tiers isn't really a good metric, as that eliminates most of the characters currently in the game, and c) we have not idea what the other cards in the set do. If there are cards specifically designed to work with him, he could end up being much stronger than you think.

Having said that....I agree he's probably not going to be amazing. His potential damage cap is actually insane, but he's expensive to and you can't run him with Ackbar for the double focus. So right now he feels very swingy - there are times when he will just obliterate a character with 8 damage, but he'll struggle landing it consistently. However he's still doing pretty decent damage without it, and can race people thanks to his action. Yes, he'd struggle in the current meta, but so does everything that isn't a meta deck or a counter - he's no different from Luke, Obi-Wan, Han or a multitude of other characters in that regard. We've kind of just got to hope they do something about the current meta without going too far towards NPE control. And if Mace gets a bit of love from support cards, he could be okay.

• 5P33D likes this

ikeebear

ikeebear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

While, based on the current card pool and in absence of more EaW spoilers, he doesn't appear top tier ... I have a hard time seeing elite Mace + Maz with Fast Hands and Force Speed being at all 'bad'. Any character with six or less remaining health is at risk of being quick killed.

Add in Goggles and Vibroknives and it gets pretty ugly pretty fast.

I think he's a significantly better partner for single Maz than Luke.

Even with Padawan, he's far from bad.

I get that him having a point or two more health, or if his ability was 'on' more fequently, he'd be much better. Similarly, if he cost one less he could pair with Rey and if he cost two less he could pair with Ackbar ... but both of those could be berserk.

• 5P33D likes this

5P33D

5P33D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Abyss: I realized that "production happens months in advance" after I started this pole, but I would still like FFG to burn all of the copies they have made of Mace Windu and give him a different ability. :D I think that an elite Mace Windu single die Maz could be a really good deck, especially if something else comes out in Empire at War that helps it. I think if you put the newly spoiled Master of the Council on Mace Windu then you could do some really cool stuff if you also had Fast Hands and Force Speed on him. Getting to activate Mace twice in one round using Fast Hands so that they can't mitigate his dice could be crazy. I realized after posting this pole that a characters playability isn't determined only by how good it is but also how well it pairs with other characters and cards.

Abyss

Abyss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I understand wanting your favourite character to be good, particularly if we only see one version of them (The main characters they can fix, but less important characters are unlikely to get another go unless the game goes for a LONG time).

I do think his ability might be surprisingly good. Assuming Mace had the initiative and rolls in first, he's almost guaranteed to kill someone at low health regardless of what he rolls - there's very few cards that will be able to remove both of his dice quick enough. I'm sure we've all had those games where we just can't roll damage, Mace doesn't care. Two blanks? Still dead. Possibly looking at it as 'Each of your opponent's characters has 2 less health' might make it look a bit more impressive? And that's without taking into account potential ways to abuse it.

Having said that....12 health does feel like a bit of a slap in the face when you look at Vader.

• 5P33D likes this

GooeyChewie

GooeyChewie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Mace has the best base damage output of any character in the game, barring Palpatine.  The only character who comes close is General Grevious, only Mace has high enough health to be relevant and exists in a color which can take advantage of his damage type (especially with Guard and Destiny).  His ability may seem redundant with all that damage, but what it really does is forces your opponent to control both of his dice, no matter what they show, every time they have a character down to 1 or 2 health.  That type of ability doesn't need to ever actually fire to alter the game.

As for his cost, Mace has some pretty decent pairing options, even without knowing what's in the upcoming set.  Padawan keeps you mono-color, but also brings three damage sides, a focus and the ability to play a saber turn 1 (or Vibroknife for 1, leaving the other for an unblockable 4 melee from Mace).  For yellow Maz is the obvious choice, bringing focus sides to ensure you hit those big 4s when you need them.  If you want red (maybe there's some awesome card in EaW for it?), or just some protection for Mace, Rebel Trooper can protect him with Guardian.

I do agree that Mace probably won't be tier 1.  But not every character can, or should be tier 1.  Mace looks fun, and while that may not be enough to put him at top tables, it is enough to justify his existence in the game.

On a more practical note, at this point a change would need to come in the form of an erratum, and I think those should be reserved for broken combos.

• doctormungmung and 5P33D like this