Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How I'd do the Prequels and Sequels in Star Wars LCG

- - - - - prequels sequels lcg

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

MarioFanaticXV

MarioFanaticXV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

If you're questioning whether or not Disney tried to make their movies connect to the originals, I ask simply this: Go watch the last 5 minutes of Rogue One, then go watch the first 5 minutes of A New Hope.

I've admittedly nost seen Rogue One, but it's pretty clear The Force Awakens is a separate timeline. Either that or whomever wrote it just didn't care about continuity with the original trilogy.

bmtrocks

bmtrocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

I've admittedly nost seen Rogue One, but it's pretty clear The Force Awakens is a separate timeline. Either that or whomever wrote it just didn't care about continuity with the original trilogy.

Disney owns Star Wars now, not George Lucas.  It's part of the original timeline whether you like it or not.  Anything saying otherwise is just fanon and really has no place in objective discussions about anything.

• JediGeekGirl likes this

MarioFanaticXV

MarioFanaticXV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Disney owns Star Wars now, not George Lucas.  It's part of the original timeline whether you like it or not.  Anything saying otherwise is just fanon and really has no place in objective discussions about anything.

...You really don't understand how remakes work, do you? They're inherently part of a separate timeline from the original continuity. Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes and the modern trilogy are both separate from the original movies- and from each other- even though they reuse a lot of the same ideas (the new trilogy less so, but that's because it's meant more as an origin story).

It really doesn't matter who owns it now- Disney can do their own version, the same way they've done it with a bunch of other stories. Unless they have a DeLorean ready, it'll never be the original version. The Disney version is no more the original version than fan fictions are. I mean, honestly, how do you reconcile Vader being a Sith ghost with Return of the Jedi?

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

I mean, honestly, how do you reconcile Vader being a Sith ghost with Return of the Jedi?

What is that from?

MarioFanaticXV

MarioFanaticXV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

What is that from?

The Force Awakens; Ren talks with Vader at least once in the movie, I want to say twice.

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

The Force Awakens; Ren talks with Vader at least once in the movie, I want to say twice.

I mean that's an interpretation. We never hear Vader. He is talking to the mask. It could all be in his head (we only hear Kylo conversing and we know he is Unhinged). It could be Snoke trying to trick an manipulate Kylo. Again we don't actually hear Vader or Snoke so it could be them or nothing.

I'm not going to say he 100% isn't talking to Vader. Like you said it makes no sense but in the Last Jedi they may reveal that was what was actually happening and we can all groan and wonder why.

I think the most likely explanations are either that Kylo is Unhinged and having a conversation with his imaginary friend or that Snoke is manipulating him through the force. The latter actually seems the most likely as Kylo clearly doesn't believe his former master's (Luke Skywalker) version of the Darth Vader story.

It definitely feels like a mystery right now and not a known fact.
  • Mattropolis likes this

JediGeekGirl

JediGeekGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

...You really don't understand how remakes work, do you?

*facepalm*

The misinformation is strong with this one.
  • Rio likes this

bmtrocks

bmtrocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

...You really don't understand how remakes work, do you? They're inherently part of a separate timeline from the original continuity. Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes and the modern trilogy are both separate from the original movies- and from each other- even though they reuse a lot of the same ideas (the new trilogy less so, but that's because it's meant more as an origin story).

It really doesn't matter who owns it now- Disney can do their own version, the same way they've done it with a bunch of other stories. Unless they have a DeLorean ready, it'll never be the original version. The Disney version is no more the original version than fan fictions are. I mean, honestly, how do you reconcile Vader being a Sith ghost with Return of the Jedi?

What does remakes have to do with anything?  Star Wars has never been remade, ever.

Kylo Ren never talked to Vader in Force Awakens.

• Rio, Jarratt, Mattropolis and 1 other like this

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
This kid is losing what little credibility he had.
  • JediGeekGirl likes this

MarioFanaticXV

MarioFanaticXV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

I mean that's an interpretation. We never hear Vader. He is talking to the mask. It could all be in his head (we only hear Kylo conversing and we know he is Unhinged). It could be Snoke trying to trick an manipulate Kylo. Again we don't actually hear Vader or Snoke so it could be them or nothing.

I'm not going to say he 100% isn't talking to Vader. Like you said it makes no sense but in the Last Jedi they may reveal that was what was actually happening and we can all groan and wonder why.

I think the most likely explanations are either that Kylo is Unhinged and having a conversation with his imaginary friend or that Snoke is manipulating him through the force. The latter actually seems the most likely as Kylo clearly doesn't believe his former master's (Luke Skywalker) version of the Darth Vader story.

It definitely feels like a mystery right now and not a known fact.

Ah, I was under the impression Vader was the one that tempted him to the dark side. It could be he's simply insane, though it can be kind of hard to tell with Sith.

RoyalAegis

RoyalAegis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Time to end this thread:

I don't play Destiny at all but one thing that game has done right is how they classify factions. By conglomerating everyone into Force Users, Military and Outlaws it allows for the game to easily encompass all eras of the game. I can appreciate that the LCG was made to specifically focus around the original trilogy but in hindsight that's been a bit limiting. I think a Destiny-style reclassification would be great for the game but that can't be done without a reboot.

Now that aside, if anyone has any grievances with one another then please conduct them in private or you can solve this like adults by challenging each other to a children's card game that's designed for ages 10+ but is predominantly played by people aged 30+ with children.

• yodaman, KappaGuy99 and JediGeekGirl like this

JediGeekGirl

JediGeekGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Time to end this thread:

I don't play Destiny at all but one thing that game has done right is how they classify factions. By conglomerating everyone into Force Users, Military and Outlaws it allows for the game to easily encompass all eras of the game. I can appreciate that the LCG was made to specifically focus around the original trilogy but in hindsight that's been a bit limiting. I think a Destiny-style reclassification would be great for the game but that can't be done without a reboot.

Now that aside, if anyone has any grievances with one another then please conduct them in private or you can solve this like adults by challenging each other to a children's card game that's designed for ages 10+ but is predominantly played by people aged 30+ with children.

I Like the Idea of a soft reboot for this game. Reclassify the Rebel and Navy factions into Military/Command and Jedi and Sith into Force. Change the Death Star into a general dial and then we are good to go.

Ps. As an example you wound still have Rebels, but also have Republic and Resitance faction cards....but all three would be considered Military/Command and can be used for one another.

MarioFanaticXV

MarioFanaticXV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Or better yet, instead of forming personal grievances, why not focus on the points instead of the people?

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

I Like the Idea of a soft reboot for this game. Reclassify the Rebel and Navy factions into Military/Command and Jedi and Sith into Force. Change the Death Star into a general dial and then we are good to go.
Ps. As an example you wound still have Rebels, but also have Republic and Resitance faction cards....but all three would be considered Military/Command and can be used for one another.

Yeah my idea is actually really similar. But I don't lob Force as a sub faction into it. As we have seen from this game it's hard to justify a full faction of force users.

I would instead focus on the role, Fringe, Military, Diiplomacy, and then use traits for all the factions - Jedi, Republic, Rebellion etc... For example as a Jedi Consuler (though that title might no longer be canon) Yoda would be a Diplomat and Jedi traited.

I like your affiliation card idea that then actually connects the dots between traited type sets. Not entirely sure how it works but I think it could.

Or better yet, insteadk of forming personal grievances, why not focus on the points instead of the people?

Royal is actually referencing a more elegant time when we would face off in games of the LCG on Friday Night force struggle to settle differences of opinion, mostly over which cards were busted and ruining the game.

It was a good time and we would watch the showdown with commentary.

I'm pretty sure the comment was in jest and directed at all of us discussing stuff unrelated to the original thread.
  • yodaman and tsgstarwars like this

JediGeekGirl

JediGeekGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Yeah my idea is actually really similar. But I don't lob Force as a sub faction into it. As we have seen from this game it's hard to justify a full faction of force users.

I would instead focus on the role, Fringe, Military, Diiplomacy, and then use traits for all the factions - Jedi, Republic, Rebellion etc... For example as a Jedi Consuler (though that title might no longer be canon) Yoda would be a Diplomat and Jedi traited.

I like your affiliation card idea that then actually connects the dots between traited type sets. Not entirely sure how it works but I think it could.

Royal is actually referencing a more elegant time when we would face off in games of the LCG on Friday Night force struggle to settle differences of opinion, mostly over which cards were busted and ruining the game.

It was a good time and we would watch the showdown with commentary.

I'm pretty sure the comment was in jest and directed at all of us discussing stuff unrelated to the original thread.

I think "Force" is perfect becasue just like it is now, it doesn't have to be limited to those who can access the force. Plus the term "Jedi" and "Sith" as the absolute are outdated as the only two term. I think "Force" will bring alot to the table. More so once you look at canon at a whole, lots out there that can be drawn from and with the game being slower then say Destiny. 

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

I think "Force" is perfect becasue just like it is now, it doesn't have to be limited to those who can access the force. Plus the term "Jedi" and "Sith" as the absolute are outdated as the only two term. I think "Force" will bring alot to the table. More so once you look at canon at a whole, lots out there that can be drawn from and with the game being slower then say Destiny.

Yeah, I mean that's what they do in Destiny. If you were to directly translate the cards we have now, Force, Fringe, Military makes a lot of sense. Except that then you break it down and you characters like Leia, Mon Mothma, Bail Organa and they just have no place. They aren't really Military even though they are the Leaders of the Rebellion.

Then you take all the advisers to Palp you have now and they are part of Sith. That makes sense, they are Palpatine's advisers, they surround him. But they aren't Force Users and they aren't Military, so you change the definition of a faction into Force and suddenly those guys don't really have a place.

I think if we want to look at the saga as a whole then trying to create something different than Force would be better. The major problem with Jedi as a faction now is that they don't even feel like part of the Rebellion era conflict. The Factions split the groups into these factions that mean you don't even play out the conflict of the era it is trying to represent (mostly because everyone plays Jedi).

I do wonder if factions are actually necessary at all in this game. They didn't have them in the Decipher CCG and it was great, but the factions do help ease of deckbuilding for newcomers I suspect. Also the different coloured cards are pretty.

CataractCowboy

CataractCowboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

You know, I've only partly been paying attention to this thread given how its been derailed, but do people actually believe this?  Is this a thing?

• Arkard and JediGeekGirl like this

Mattropolis

Mattropolis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Yeah, I mean that's what they do in Destiny. If you were to directly translate the cards we have now, Force, Fringe, Military makes a lot of sense. Except that then you break it down and you characters like Leia, Mon Mothma, Bail Organa and they just have no place. They aren't really Military even though they are the Leaders of the Rebellion.

Then you take all the advisers to Palp you have now and they are part of Sith. That makes sense, they are Palpatine's advisers, they surround him. But they aren't Force Users and they aren't Military, so you change the definition of a faction into Force and suddenly those guys don't really have a place.

This is the one and only gripe I have with the Destiny faction breakdown. Red should be reclassified as 'Military and Politics' or 'Politics' should be a fourth color. There's sooo many Star Wars characters that would fit best in a politics category. Instead they stuck Padme in yellow since there wasn't a proper spot, and other possible future characters like Bail Organa or Mas Amedda or a chancellor version of Palpatine and on and on have no real home.

Mattropolis

Mattropolis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

You know, I've only partly been paying attention to this thread given how its been derailed, but do people actually believe this?  Is this a thing?

No.

• Rio likes this

tsgstarwars

tsgstarwars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

This is really close to the system I've used for nomenclature; since I'm going SWTOR era there's more than enough Force users though so I've just used the Force/Military/Fringe and it works quite nicely  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: prequels, sequels, lcg