Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How I'd do the Prequels and Sequels in Star Wars LCG

- - - - - prequels sequels lcg

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

drybones

drybones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

They made arguments in favor of it and pointed out major contradictions. It sounded logical, and with how haphazard Disney has been with their handling of the series, it's hard to tell what exactly they're trying to do. If they're calling it a sequel then, fine, it's a terrible sequel that doesn't understand its predecessors. I find it funny that you're complaining about the way someone else defended the movie when they got desperate, but they at least were able to form a logical argument against me with supporting facts instead of throwing out juvenile insults. Maybe you should try that sometime?

You keep making references to major contradictions. I am genuinely curious... can you list some substantive examples? Please limit your answers to contradictions between the feature films (Episodes 1-7 & Rogue One), Clone Wars, Rebels, and any books written after Disney's purchase of Lucasfilms (i.e. non-Legends). Thanks!

• MarioFanaticXV likes this

GreedoShotFirst

GreedoShotFirst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
I am convinced that Mario has successfully trolled all of you to Bolivia.

Well done.
  • Rio, CataractCowboy, Letux and 2 others like this

MarioFanaticXV

MarioFanaticXV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

You keep making references to major contradictions. I am genuinely curious... can you list some substantive examples? Please limit your answers to contradictions between the feature films (Episodes 1-7 & Rogue One), Clone Wars, Rebels, and any books written after Disney's purchase of Lucasfilms (i.e. non-Legends). Thanks!

The aforementioned Plagueis thing is a big one. And there's also the fact that Ren seems to speak with Vader as though Vader wasn't redeemed (someone earlier pointed out this could just be him being insane, which is possible, though it's hard to tell with that actor). But the worst offenses I think are the characters from the original trilogy and how radically different they are from their original versions; in particular, Han's character is completely regressed so that he's a smuggler that's always running away from his problems, as though none of the movies in the original trilogy ever happened. Then you have Luke who instead of trying to help the galaxy around him is a hermit who abandons those that need him.

There's also an implied problem with the title of the upcoming seeming to contradict the events of Return of the Jedi, but that's really just speculation at this point.

drybones

drybones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

The aforementioned Plagueis thing is a big one. And there's also the fact that Ren seems to speak with Vader as though Vader wasn't redeemed (someone earlier pointed out this could just be him being insane, which is possible, though it's hard to tell with that actor). But the worst offenses I think are the characters from the original trilogy and how radically different they are from their original versions; in particular, Han's character is completely regressed so that he's a smuggler that's always running away from his problems, as though none of the movies in the original trilogy ever happened. Then you have Luke who instead of trying to help the galaxy around him is a hermit who abandons those that need him.

There's also an implied problem with the title of the upcoming seeming to contradict the events of Return of the Jedi, but that's really just speculation at this point. 

Thanks for the reasonable response. Still, I think all of these "contradictions" have valid explanations. Plagueis is mentioned in Ep III and Tarkin. Ren could easily be exhibiting what you might call "selective memory". Also possible, though I think it unlikely, is that Ren may be on a light-side infiltration mission and he is seeking his grandfather's redeemed assistance. Han's "regression" as you put it was explicitly explained in Ep VII... "we both went back to doing when we knew best" or something like that. This is a reasonable response to being betrayed by your son, as is splitting up. As for Luke becoming a hermit, betrayal (and the perceived guilt of letting down your sister and brother-in-law) is a reasonable explanation. I also believe that we will receive further explanation in Ep VIII. I am convinced that all of this boils down to a very subjective view -- you just don't like the new story line. And that's fine. Just say so.

• CataractCowboy and MarioFanaticXV like this

Mattropolis

Mattropolis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Thanks for the reasonable response. Still, I think all of these "contradictions" have valid explanations. Plagueis is mentioned in Ep III and Tarkin. Ren could easily be exhibiting what you might call "selective memory". Also possible, though I think it unlikely, is that Ren may be on a light-side infiltration mission and he is seeking his grandfather's redeemed assistance. Han's "regression" as you put it was explicitly explained in Ep VII... "we both went back to doing when we knew best" or something like that. This is a reasonable response to being betrayed by your son, as is splitting up. As for Luke becoming a hermit, betrayal (and the perceived guilt of letting down your sister and brother-in-law) is a reasonable explanation. I also believe that we will receive further explanation in Ep VIII. I am convinced that all of this boils down to a very subjective view -- you just don't like the new story line. And that's fine. Just say so.

Also, Han Solo's personal arc *has* evolved in certain respects. From:

"Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

To:

"I used to wonder about that myself. Thought it was a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. A magical power holding together good and evil, the dark side and the light. Crazy thing is... it's true. The Force. The Jedi... All of it... It's all true."

And with Kylo, it's definitely not a movie mistake. We just don't know the full story yet. Maybe his parents and Luke never told Kylo anything about his grandfather, so as to keep him from learning too much about the dark side. So Kylo only knows what the galaxy knows (or what Snoke has told him); that Vader was a top dark sider. The only people in the entire galaxy that probably knew that Vader redeemed himself would've been Luke, Palpatine (dead), and anyone Luke told (probably only Leia).

• drybones likes this

JediGeekGirl

JediGeekGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
This thread is so derailed...and it's really entertaining lol
  • Rio and drybones like this

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2209 posts
In all honesty Hans complete arc was in ANH. He regressed at the start of Empire, he went from a Smuggler running from his problems to a hero getting a medal, then back to a Smuggler running from his problems again. Man, Empire must exist in an alternative timeline then.

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2209 posts
We really need a new pack.....
  • Mattropolis and JediGeekGirl like this

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

This is really close to the system I've used for nomenclature; since I'm going SWTOR era there's more than enough Force users though so I've just used the Force/Military/Fringe and it works quite nicely :)

There certainly are a lot of Force Users but they also fit into various archetypes like I previously said. In fact there are so many Force Users it is better to divide them all up into different groups.

I feel like dividing into group archetypes is interesting but at the same time Factions (as thy are currently represented) provide more direction.

Like people say, I want to play Jedi or Rebels. Fringe clearly is a better name for Smugglers and Spies and S&V, but the other archetypes are less factional.

And if they are less factional how do you do the factions. Jedi, Rebellion, Sith, Empire, Resistance, Black Sun, First Order, CIS, Mandalorian's (From Old Republic), Sith Empire (again from Old Republic), Republic. All of these things are actually Factions and all of these Factions have people working in lots of different ways.

So I guess the tricky thing is working out how to make the 6 archetypes we have work for the best of the game, especially across multiple eras.

If this game had a proper rotation then they actually could release 3 Deluxe boxes and 2-3 Cycles for an era every two years. So we play the game in 2 year eras. Then we would just be playing different iterations of the game which is kind of what we are doing now anyway. Worlds shows we are deep into Rebels TV v Navy. Even the timeline of Navy with building the Death Star, Thrawn's Star Destroyer, Tarkin and heavy Captital ships totally fits.

If they do repackage this game as a 2.0 I hope they do it after Last Jedi so they can get in deep with the Force Awakans timeline, possibly just the Force Awakens timeline.

I remember when the Decipher CCG started doing the prequels. At first it was kind of weird but they also put a little symbol on episode 1 cards so you actually could play just Episode 1 cards. It quickly became clear that it was actually a better way to play the game. Everything they had learned they were able to tailor into a smaller set of cards with less potential locations so the game was more of a game where you were both fighting over the same stuff.

A fresh start would certainly be a nice way to find balance in the game. Having that fresh start be a different era and then maybe in later cycles adding stuff to either era would be cool. Rules to play cross eras would also be cool.

JediGeekGirl

JediGeekGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

We really need a new pack.....

This <3 <3 <3

Off topic but I should have a couple Saturdays open from Destiny and I'm hoping to play some LCG because I always need more of it in my life.
  • yodaman and GreedoShotFirst like this

KappaGuy99

KappaGuy99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Maybe we should all try to change people's minds using our opinions.  Because that totally works.  All the time.

• CataractCowboy and JediGeekGirl like this

drybones

drybones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Maybe we should all try to change people's minds using our opinions.  Because that totally works.  All the time.

Well, that sure changed my mind. (you asked for it!)

• KappaGuy99 likes this

KappaGuy99

KappaGuy99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Well, that sure changed my mind. (you asked for it!)

Touche & well done  :)

Letux

Letux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1590 posts
I accept no canon that does not contain Noa, Ackmena, and Pazaak.
  • SmokeyJ likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: prequels, sequels, lcg