Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Question on In Loving Memory, from Mark Harrigan in Path to Carcosa

path to Carcosa Mark Harrigan

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

crabshack101

crabshack101

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

So the article states:

Accordingly, Mark Harrigan is best served by making sure he has some assets and allies that can help absorb the damage he might take, and The Path to Carcosa gives him access to one of the best of these options in the form of True Grit (The Path to Carcosa, 21). Not only can it absorb three points of damage, which Mark Harrigan and Sophie could easily convert into three cards drawn and six bonus points to various skill checks, but the card can absorb the damage that his allies would otherwise take.<

However In Loving Memory says as a fast action take 1 direct damage: You get +2 skill value for this skill test. The quoted text states you can use another new card called True Grit (which has three health) to get plus 2 on a skill test. I was under the impression direct damage could not be assigned to anything but the specified card. How does that work here? What is the specified card in this case? HALP!!

slothgodfather

slothgodfather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2951 posts

...In Loving Memory says as a fast action take 1 indirect damage...

You really confused me by putting "indirect" in there instead of "direct"  lol! 

So I do think the article is a mistake.  True Grit lets you take dmg that would be dealt to other investigators (so this COULD redirect "direct" dmg to other investigators) it doesn't seem to apply to Mark himself.  So Sofie+True Grit doesn't seem to work.  

crabshack101

crabshack101

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Haha yes sorry I fixed it. I was so confused by the article I guess I got caught up in it. It is interesting it lets you redirect other direct but not your own.

slothgodfather

slothgodfather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2951 posts

Yep.  I went ahead and asked:

The article mentions that Mark can use True Grit to absorb 3 dmg, but can use his ability and Sophie to turn that into 3 cards and 6 bonus skill points. However, Sophie's action is "direct" dmg and True Grit can only redirect dmg from "other investigators", so is the article wrong or am I missing how they interact?

Caleb replied:

You are correct; Sophie deals direct damage and thus that damage cannot be assigned to True Grit, it must be assigned to Mark Harrigan. Apologies for any confusion.

Khudzlin

Khudzlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1041 posts

so this COULD redirect "direct" dmg to other investigators

Direct damage (or horror) cannot be reassigned or redirected (by any means, because "cannot" is absolute). The base rule is that you can assign damage dealt to you to your assets. True Grit (and Brother Xavier from The Miskatonic Museum) can be assigned damage (and horror, in Xavier's case) dealt to other investigators, but they don't allow you to ignore a "cannot".

slothgodfather

slothgodfather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2951 posts

Fair enough.