Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nostalgia

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Obtuse

Obtuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

I've been feeling the itch to play some CoC lately and I recently moved away from everyone I know that plays. Anyone in the Indianapolis, IN area by chance want to meet up for some matches?

• blinovitch and Kennon2nd like this

Corwin81

Corwin81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Same issue here, a few thousands of miles away (France)...

Fortunately, I have a few gaming-oriented friends and could introduce them to the game with a half-dozen pre-constructed decks from my complete collection.

Sweet feeling indeed to play this wonderful game again ! Best luck re-building your own CoC local community.

BTW, I never picked up the "reboot" Arkham LCG, is it any good ? Mechanics and design seem inferior to CoC.

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2026 posts

Arkham is a totally different game. It has more in common with Lord of the Rings than with the CoC LCG.

Since CoC stopped, I have barely bothered with PvP card games, none of them come close.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

IMO, the only real contender at the moment is DOOMTOWN RELOADED. This is for me at least the only game that has the deep level of deck construction and complexity of deck piloting. It is a truly fantastic game and well worth it IF you can find people to play.. and not only play.. people to actively buy cards and build decks.

Some good alternatives are games like Ashes and Mage Wars and even Magic the Gathering (with duel decks) you buy completely built and ready to play decks. After you have 4 or 5 decks in your collection, maybe with one general card booster box you can deck construct as normal.. but the huge plus for this format is that it is much  more rewarding for casual players, and players with small player pools. As your mates can come over, just give them a deck. Even games like LoTR which is co-op.. you can not just say "hey you feel like playing LoTR?" as you will need a tuned 3 player deck. If I want to play DoomTown I need to spend a week building 4 or 5 decks so there is some variety. Also I can not properly test them as I have no one to play with.

With these other games you can just grab a deck and go, do not like it.. try a new deck.. like it.. change it a bit to make it better.

So if you are looking for a decent duel game experience I would go for a game system like that.. Mage Knight Arena would be my pick. Though, imo DOOMTOWN is the best in print game at the moment.

I never picked up the "reboot" Arkham LCG, is it any good ? Mechanics and design seem inferior to CoC.

This is not a popular opinion, especially around here but i think Arkham is a real dud. The game has absolutely trivial deck building. I mean it is lame AF. Then on top of that the quests are so story based that they have almost zero replay value. In LoTR there was "real" deck building that turned the quests into these interesting puzzles... but in Arkham that is not the case. Also in Arkham the choices the player has are so predictable and dictated. You basically have only a few choices is any on a given turn and if you have had the misfortune to have already played the quest you know EXACTLY what to do. 

I actual think Arkham is easily the worst of the LCGs.

Basically I think of it like this.. Lord of the Rings is a CARD GAME with baord game elements.. but Arkham is a BOARD GAME with card game elements. It is simply NOT and should never have been a LCG in the first place.

Biggest disappointment in game I have had in a LONG time. 

• Corwin81 likes this

Corwin81

Corwin81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

IMO, the only real contender at the moment is DOOMTOWN RELOADED. This is for me at least the only game that has the deep level of deck construction and complexity of deck piloting. It is a truly fantastic game and well worth it IF you can find people to play.. and not only play.. people to actively buy cards and build decks.

Thanks Tragic, I did buy the Doomtown Reloaded Core a long time ago and only managed to try it with a friend a couple of days ago.

Really enjoyed it and completely agree with your impressions. Now I'm in trouble because some expansions issued since are already very hard to find + I don't have much budget :)

(Regarding Magic, this is where I started ages ago and I own a large collection, able to build pretty much everything in Legacy and Modern eternal formats... not very interested in it right now but it comes and goes)

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

I'm in trouble because some expansions issued since are already very hard to find + I don't have much budget :)uild pretty much everything in Legacy and Modern eternal formats... not very interested in it right now but it comes and goes)

Don't worry. AEG relinquished the rights back to the original designers or whoever owned Deadlands (the original)... they are continuing the product from where AEG left off.. So.. new packs and reprints of the old ones... you haven't missed out.

blinovitch

blinovitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Don't worry. AEG relinquished the rights back to the original designers or whoever owned Deadlands (the original)... they are continuing the product from where AEG left off.. So.. new packs and reprints of the old ones... you haven't missed out.

Wow, Doomtown really is the game with nine lives. Way for that group to pull it off!

• Tragic likes this

Corwin81

Corwin81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Wow, Doomtown really is the game with nine lives. Way for that group to pull it off!

Yes, if only that could also be true for Vampire : TES, and FFG would make an LCG out of it !

• Skelton likes this

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Call of Cthulhu nostalgia, check. I have been starting building decks again lately. Coming back to the cardpool is fun but very challenging. What techniques if any do you use when discovering deck concepts and identifying key cards?

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

I tend to pick a card / combo / synergy or even just an idea and then just start with that.. then keep adding cards to make that single effect as powerful as possible. Once the deck is functioning you need to "weaken" it so it can handled meta situations. For example, your deck concept might not need a certain card, but you need to have that card in it so you have some location destruction or protection form put into play effects.

As the game is not really competitive any more it is all about fun.. so I like to do things that may not be the best deck... for example...

I would go...

gallery_53_156922.jpg

This card is cool... I have always wanted to use it.... what would this card need to function... and go from there.

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

How about finding cards that work well together and suppport combos or have synergies? Do you just know the cardpool by heart or do you use specific search queries to narrow down the options?

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

If you are do not know the card pool very well, then use a deck builder... I would recommend getting "Zorbec's Deck Builder". It is a windows app, I do not know anything about Apple products, if you use them.

http://eric.minet.fr...er/index_en.htm

It has lots of tools to find cards... for example there is a section that allows you to filter cards by effect.. say you want to see all cards that can add icons to a struggle, or all cards that can bounce a card... also there is a strong keyword thing.. like not only can you filter factions and types and all the other stuff.. you can type in and search though game text on every card.

CT62_051.jpg

For example, way you wanted to look for cards that may work well with "Ambush". You could search all card text for

• 3 Cost or Lower
  • Characters
  • "enters play"
  • or "leaves play"
  • or "after you play"
  • or "a discard pile"
  • or "your discard pile"

• Jan likes this

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Good stuff, Tragic. I am not new to the game, but I am very interested in hearing about the process of other players when building decks. I downloaded Zorbec's Deck Builder. A shame it is so outdated as it is graphically. It does however support more advanced card filtering like you say. I just don't think it can bear with the old GUI for any length of time. :P

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

ur crazy the UI is the best!