Reaction: After a character is removed from a challenge, pay 1 gold to give that character +2 STR or -1 STR until the end of the phase.
Does Desmera trigger when:
- A participating character changes control?
- A challenge ends?
- If a character leaves play while participating, would it trigger other "After removed from a challenge"?
Relevant RRG entries:
4.2.6 Challenge ends
This step formalizes the end of the challenge. All characters that were participating in the challenge are no longer participating. Proceed to the action window between framework steps 4.1 and 4.2.
- If an ability explicitly removes a character from a challenge, that character is no longer participating in the challenge.
- If a participating character leaves play for any reason, it is no longer participating in the challenge.
- Once a character is participating in a challenge, losing the challenge icon of that type does not remove the character from the challenge.
Ownership and Control
- If a participating character changes control during the resolution of a challenge, it is immediately removed from the challenge.
So it appears that in the RRG, the words "remove from a challenge" are used interchangeably with "no longer participates". But what's the intent behind Desmera?