Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Scorpion clan strategy thread

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

xRAVEx

xRAVEx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

I started this topic so that people could share the experience of playing Scorpion. The preferred win condition, card choices, overall strategy, clan for splashing, etc. 

25 honor is not an option at all, I'm sure no one gonna argue that.

Dishonoring the opponent is controversal. Because on the one hand it's what scorpion should do well with various dishonoring effects. But on the other hand if you've become more honorable than the opponent and you're willing to dishonor them at all, then lots of scorpion cards are worse (yogo outcast) or completely useless (City of Open Hand, Blackmail, I can swim). 

I saw couple of games Mat (Scorpion Hatamoto) played, and he said he won all the games by dishonoring. I'm not sure that it should work in the 3-core environment the same way as in 1-core. 

So looks like breaking the stronghold province is the choice for Scorps. But again it can be troublesome or at least not so fast, as scorpion military is not impressing.

Thoughts?

Ignithas

Ignithas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
I think that there are enough cards, so that you don't have to include cards like Blackmail and I can swim and if you play the cards that lose you honor, City of open hand can really assist you in dishonoring your oponent.

NuFenix

NuFenix

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Scorpion is the clan I'm intending to play, and I'm thinking breaking their stronghold will be most likely way of winning, as it doesn't rely on forcing the deck to try and gain honour, nor dishonour my opponent to 0.

With your concern about military, who were you thinking of allying Scorpion with? Lion or Crab to get a boost? Scorpion have 5 Bushi which could combine with Sashimono from Lion to get extra use out of them, or go for attachments such as Honored Blade for the potential honour boost or Guidance of the Ancestors to turn any excess Fate into a potential boost.

I've been thinking about using Phoenix and going for a Shugenja theme, as Scorpion have 3 (Sinister Soshi, Soshi Illusionist, Yogo Outcast), Phoenix have 2 (Ishiken Initiate, Seeker of Knowledge), and 1 neutral (Miya Mystic). Then Phoenix can give Pacifism to prevent a strong military character getting involved, or Supernatural Storm to boost one of your characters (which I prefer as it can help with Political combat too). Plus it would be able to use Cloud the Mind, which my experience from AGOT 1e tells me blanking annoying characters is very useful.

• wyrm187 and Kahga like this

Letux

Letux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1590 posts
Phoenix was my favorite splash out of one core by far.

NuFenix

NuFenix

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Phoenix was my favorite splash out of one core by far.

What were you using from one core, and would you continue to do so with three?

Letux

Letux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1590 posts
Pacifism
Know the World
Against the Waves (probably less good in 3)
Display of Power
Ishiken initiate
Supernatural Storm (only ok since we were basically forced to run the neutrals could probably be something else)

In 3 might just do some mix of the first 2
Not worrying too much about constructed until October, but this version only lost one game all weekend including winning the staff challenge vs a 3 core dragon deck.

xRAVEx

xRAVEx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

I think that there are enough cards, so that you don't have to include cards like Blackmail and I can swim and if you play the cards that lose you honor, City of open hand can really assist you in dishonoring your oponent.

well, there should be some strong argument not to run these, as they're very powerful.

With your concern about military, who were you thinking of allying Scorpion with? Lion or Crab to get a boost? Scorpion have 5 Bushi which could combine with Sashimono from Lion to get extra use out of them, or go for attachments such as Honored Blade for the potential honour boost or Guidance of the Ancestors to turn any excess Fate into a potential boost.

I've been thinking about using Phoenix and going for a Shugenja theme, as Scorpion have 3 (Sinister Soshi, Soshi Illusionist, Yogo Outcast), Phoenix have 2 (Ishiken Initiate, Seeker of Knowledge), and 1 neutral (Miya Mystic). Then Phoenix can give Pacifism to prevent a strong military character getting involved, or Supernatural Storm to boost one of your characters (which I prefer as it can help with Political combat too). Plus it would be able to use Cloud the Mind, which my experience from AGOT 1e tells me blanking annoying characters is very useful.

I tried only crabs, and took them to dishonor the opponent. I took 2 Watch commander, 3 reprieve and 1 Hiruma ambusher.

If trying to focus on breaking the provinces, then I think it's better to take Dragon (ancestral attachments, let go, wanderer) or lion (guidance, honored blade, vengeful oathkeeper, maybe sashimono, but 2 cost is really expensive)

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

In my experience so far no clan can ignore the province break victory condition.  You have too much control over your own honor usually to reliably force the opponent into a dishonor loss.  Sometimes you'll get there, but I think it will be a frustrating deck to build and play.  In my limited experience it's much better to feed Scorpion dishonor tech into a choke strategy to still win by political conflicts.  Their stronghold assumes you'll be lower honor as well as Blackmail so if you are dishonoring them often then you are giving up those benefits.  Also much of Scorpion's major power comes in the conflict deck and if you are bidding high all the time for Conflict cards you are working against your dishonor win condition.  Feels like in the current card pool you are swimming against the current.  Also feels like playing this way can lead to tons of games that go to time if you are only defending and not trying to break.  Maybe I'm wrong and I'm missing something, but that's what I've seen. 

If you really want to go for the dishonor victory in Scorpion I think you need to splash Crab for Levy since it's the only real way to force an opponent over the edge unexpectedly.  Play it when they have no Fate and you force them to give you an honor.  They can re-honor dishonored characters, they can contest you for the ring of Air but if they go to 0 Fate they can't stop Levy.  Watch Commander is a great card, but it's a choke card.  No one playing well is going to hang themselves by triggering Watch Commander.  They'll just give up the conflict, which again feeds into winning by conflicts.

ADD:  I think it was a major design decision on their part to try and make every faction care about the conflicts such that you never get an effective build that can just sit back and run honor numbers up or down (I'm sure it will happen eventually though).  Honor right now feels like a pressure mechanic and a way to win if you opponent doesn't adapt to you pressuring honor.  It can happen, but it just doesn't feel very reliable.

Of course as the game expands I expect my position to change :)

• Kahga likes this

NuFenix

NuFenix

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

I tried only crabs, and took them to dishonor the opponent. I took 2 Watch commander, 3 reprieve and 1 Hiruma ambusher.

If trying to focus on breaking the provinces, then I think it's better to take Dragon (ancestral attachments, let go, wanderer) or lion (guidance, honored blade, vengeful oathkeeper, maybe sashimono, but 2 cost is really expensive)

I listed to the Art of Warcast's reviews and Crab seemed to come up as a suggested ally a fair bit, and reading them I can see why.

I've not had the chance to try out a proxy version yet, and nowhere near GenCon, so I am pure theory and research at the moment, but this is a deck I was thinking:

Dynasty (40)

3x Miya Mystic - A cheap Shugenja and whilst not the best stats, if they play an attachment that bothers me (to buff them or hinder me), I can use them once I have used them in a conflict

3x Seppun Guardsman - Cheap meatshield to either protect me or possibly even attack

3x Imperial Storehouse - I'm not sure how I feel about holdings, but as I doubt I will be buying four dynasty cards a turn, being able to use the holding to help protect my province and then blow it up at the end of the conflict phase for a card looks good

3x Bayushi Manipulator - Cheap, skill matching cost, and being able to increase the dial beyond 5 means if I do need to draw big, or bid low and make up for it, I can

3x Bayushi Shoju - Why would anyone not want a playset of their champion?!

3x Blackmail Artist - I am hoping to win political conflicts and take the honour I was likely giving them from bidding high for conflict draw

3x Sinister Soshi - A cheap character who exists to be a temporary Fiery Madness each turn, and also a shugenja

3x Soshi Illusionist - Another shugenja, and whilst their political skill is above cost, their ability to spend fate to remove status (likely my own dishonour) means they will likely be bought with 1 or 2 extra fate to hang around

3x Yogo Outcast - Another shugenja, where hopefully they will be a 3/3 for a cost of 2 which is a bargain

3x Shosuro Actress - I like the idea of send her into a (political) conflict, then then in a later conflict kill her off to get one of their own characters into the fight, who should be an even match for them

3x Favored Niece - When card draw isn't available, card cycling is the next best thing. And if I can somehow honour her, becoming a 4/4 makes her a great threat, though dishonour will cripple her

2x Bayushi Yunako - Due to cost 4 I thought 3x would be too much, but shoring up my military and being able to switch someone on either side of a conflict she is in looks like it could discourage my opponent

2x Yoho Hiroue - Similar to Yunako with their cost, he will be great in political challenges (potentially break a province if uncontested), but his ability to drag in someone who doesn't want to be there and was intending to be in a later conflict is fun, with the added perk of dishonouring them if I win

3x City of Lies - Again, unsure how good holdings will be, but with three different evens that can be reduced, I'm curious to see what difference it makes, as well as a cheeky stalling tactic during a conflict

Conflict (41)

3x Supernatural Storm (3 Influence) - I love the idea of a character getting a large boost to both skills that isn't expected. The fact they Shugenja don't have to be involved in the conflict is what swings it for me

3x Seeker of Knowledge (3 Influence) - With Shugenja being the theme of the deck, being only 1 influence and 2 cost for 2 skill is okay, being able to allow me to conflict with a ring with fate on it that wouldn't do much for me, and if I win actually turn it into air for an honour boost/swing

2x Ishiken Initiate (4 Influence) - I only went with 2 due to their influence cost, and whilst the idea of them growing from claiming rings is good I think 2 will be sufficient

3x Court Games - The flexibility to either honour one of my own characters (who may get dishonoured again for other effects), or one of theirs (even if they do choose who in the conflict) for 0 cost looks great

3x Fine Katana - No reason any deck shouldn't have a 0 cost attachment, especially to help me shore up the weaker side of my clan

3x Ornate Fan - As above, but this way to help me either win at conflicts, or mean I need to use less characters and use them in other conflicts

3x Spies at Court - Hand destruction is a terrifying thing in any game which doesn't auto-refill your hand, and removing options for no fate and only a dishonour seems a great deal when it is on their stronger conflict type

3x Way of the Scorpion - Why would I not!

3x Unassuming Yojimbo - If my opponent only has a single military character to defend with, she could possibly break a province on her own( better chance with a katana), and I remember how great stealth was in AGOT 1e

3x Ambush - A super charged Charge, except it isn't conflict restricted, and can be a combination of hand or provinces, and the cost limit means if I wanted to surprise Bayushi Shoju out I can.

2x Adept of Shadows - As soon as one gets played, my opponent knows that if I have the fate available they, I can add them into any conflict and impact their future plans

2x Blackmail - Being less honourable shouldn't be difficult, however the 3 cost and limit of 2 cost or lower characters means I opted only to take 2 of these

3x I Can Swim - Between bidding high and Bayushi Manipulator to get the dial high enough, and Way of the Scorpion to dishonour a character, this should be a good way at controlling the board

3x Fiery Madness - The ability to shut down small characters completely, and also help me win a conflict that they expect me to lose is great. Combining with Bayushi Shoju is even filthier!

2x Cloud the Mind - Blank frustrating abilities, or if I am in desperate need, my Seppun Guardsman so I can attack with him even when they have Imperial Favour

Air: Secret Cache - A free mini search, with no reveal, and unless they don't break it will do more than Fertile Fields, and earning fate from Manicured Garden means nothing if I don't have options in hand

Earth: Entrenched Position - Making it harder for them to break through with military protects me against something they might not have thought they would have had trouble with

Fire: Night Raid - At worst it will make them get rid of 1 card, but if they do push in with lots, it can severely damage their hand. I think removing an option from their hand will do more than the one fate I could remove if I use Meditations on the Tao, as if they go in with fateless characters, it will do nothing for me

Water: Rally to the Cause - 50/50 chance they hit it with whichever conflict is weaker for me at the time, and being able to tell Lion or Unicorn we are actually talking instead of fighting seems solid

Void: Shameful Display - The potential skill swing if we both have Glory 1+ on each side will be tremendous, as well as combining with I Can Swim or even Adept of Shadows to mitigate her honour cost

It is based on my earlier comment of s Shugenja deck, with 17 of them in the deck.

I thought about Assassination, but the cost of 3 honour looks really painful, when Blackmailing them to swing them to my side in a conflict isn't a permanent option but could make a bigger difference.

• VonWibble and sparrowhawk like this

xRAVEx

xRAVEx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

I'm surprtised that manipulator is chosen and bayushi liar isn't. Both cost 1, both gives you additional card (+1 to your bid vs sincerety), but manipulator gives you a card at the cost of 1 honor. Also liar can potentially break the province on his own, while manipulator can't. 

So I consider liar is strictly better.

NuFenix

NuFenix

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Sincerity gives the card when they leave though, which is slower. I would never want to add fate to a liar, but depending upon the rest of a turn I might put fate on the manipulator so I can get more out of them.

Hakkor

Hakkor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

After a few games with scorpion I have felt that winnin by dishonor is always in your opponent's hands, depending on his bids. If your opponent keeps his bids relatively low, you will have a huge hand size difference that can be easily punished with the Earth Ring and Spies in the Court, as well as a hard time keeping your honor up. If your opponent bids high, your stronghold plus occasional dishonoring cards or eventual banzai/assanites from your opponent will slowly drive him low on honor.

In conclusion, I think scorpion should focus on breaking provinces, as already have been said, adapting your game depending on your opponent's choices. I have found that priorizing defense versus offense, waiting for the right round to catch your opponent offguard works nice. I still have to try more aggresive strategies and splash possibilities, since I've been playing pure decks aided with neutrals. I'd as well, try some Phoenix love.

NuFenix

NuFenix

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
Something in the Crab thread caught my eye that I wanted to ask here:

How much to bid on your first turn?

They were saying they expect Scorpions to bid either 1 or 5. Either because they want the cards, or their opponent thinks they will and bid 5 to get cards only to get screwed over by the Scorpion bidding 1.

It will likely depend on opponent, deck build and various other factors. With cards that rely on us having less honour I imagine the expectation is bid 5. I know that's what I will likely do to start with as I learn the game.

Thoughts?
  • estyles likes this

nightcrawlers

nightcrawlers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

I think 5 first turn is a good bet for scorpion.

You get cards, you activate your stronghold, turn on I can swim.

• Atrus likes this

Atrus

Atrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Probably 5. As nightcrawlers said.

The main tools of Scorpion are their tricks in hand, and you can use your stronghold almost every round bidding high (plus "Blackmail"/"I can Swim"). I'm not saying that is optimal to bid 5 each round, but in 1st one is great to do so.

xRAVEx

xRAVEx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

IF you're going to win by dishonor and there no blackmail\I can swim in your opening hand, then you can trigger City of Open Hand in the dynasty phase (if the opponent has already passed) and bid 1. 

nightcrawlers

nightcrawlers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

IF you're going to win by dishonor and there no blackmail\I can swim in your opening hand, then you can trigger City of Open Hand in the dynasty phase (if the opponent has already passed) and bid 1. 

I think it's a playstyle difference. One that will deepen over time.

are you playing scorpion control (my preferred playstyle) where you want all your tools to play with.

or are you playing scorpion rush-down dishonor where your blitzing to dishonor them quickly.  

With 4 cards in hand, I'm bidding 1 if I think I can dishonor them that turn (outside of not dishonoring myself/defensive bids)

freemandas

freemandas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

5 or 6 if I have Bayushi manipulator. The strength of the scorpion is in the hand. 10 cards in first turn is the 25% of the deck.

Hakkor

Hakkor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Exactly, if opponent passes first you can use your shennanigans before the dial. Then bid low so later turns you are ahead to start bidding 4-5 each turn.

I'll have to disagree on "if you are going to win by dishonor". The current game state makes it really hard to win by dishonor if the opponent is smart enough not to sucide bid and end up with 1-3 honor left. In every game I have played both players were low on honor, surprisingly Scorpion being above my opponent who usually was at honor 6 or lower. But every win has been by breaking the capital.

I believe Scorpion should hardly ever go soft on key conflicts/decision making (which is why scorpion bids high) due to being focusing too much on getting honor advantage. Comparatively, bidding 1 in a late turn when both players are very low honor is great for the honor pressure you will make to your oppoent, but still it won't be a clear dishonor win. I think it's a matter of balance between punishing honor and drawing tons of cards to control the board and win conflicts, depending on the needs of each round.

Does anybody who played Scorpion think it's a good way to lose friends quickly?

• Kahga likes this

sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
I think NuFenix's Phoenix splash is perfectly viable in Scorpion, though I would go with 2x Pacifism, 2x Display of Power (after you use Sinister Soshi to negate an attack and they respond with a buff you can't counter so they get unopposed, also sometimes unopposed Honour loss can manipulate your Stronghold but you like to trigger the ring) instead of trying to leverage Supernatural Storm by packing it with shugenja.

Scorpion remains a riddle to me. Objectively, they have strong cards, some in isolation, some in context of their other cards. But they attempt so much. They incentivise playing events with City of Lies, conflict characters with Shosuro Miyako and Fiery Madness is just so useful in the context of Sinister Soshi and Shoju. They also have so many high cost cards: Ambush, Blackmail, Unassuming Yojimbo and their 2 cost 2 card combo kill. It seems easy to make a build that tries to do too much instead of focusing on one aspect of their pool. Perhaps such a build constantly threatens and surprises but I also suspect it will lack consistency. And I personally prefer dull consistency to occasional flashy plays.

So what cards do I rate in Scorpion? Quite a lot actually.

City of the Open Hand - weak stats and a situational ability but you can build around it with honour loss events, Dishonour and high draw bids to make it very strong

Secret Cache - Fertile Fields on steroids

Bayushi Liar - probably my favourite 1 drop in Core, a great Courtier recipient for Dishonour (e.g. Forged Edict)

Sinister Soshi - so much conflict control, defensively counters any single character probing attack of 2 strength or less if the subsequent buffs (inevitable else why did they attack?) can be countered, stacks with Fiery Madness

Young Rumourmonger - unlimited control of Honour/Dishonour targets on a 2/2 Courtier that doesn't invalidate Dishonour costs

Blackmail Artist - funds your card draw and the threat of Dishonour Victory, a cheaper non-unique Asami

Bayushi Yanako - unique, your main military threat; a great ability on unbalanced enemies, Hiroue, Shoju or herself

Yogo Hiroue - unique, can be used in attack or defence bringing in a friendly or enemy character

Bayushi Shoju - unique, great stats, great traits, scary ability that synergises with Dishonour, Sinister Soshi, Fiery Madness, Yanako and Hiroue.

Unassuming Yojimbo - outwardly less impressive than Crane's Political Rival, a key difference is she shores up a lack of threat in Military that Scorpion pose (beyond standard Banzai variance) whilst the latter boosts Crane's already strong conflict type so best imported; Covert is strong in small or culled boards which Scorpion also excel in and 3 cost makes her a worthy assassin-safe host for a Katana as a 2-turn Military breaking threat for cost 4.

Forged Edict - with sufficient low honour Courtiers (Liar is ideal 0 glory. the rest are mostly 1), this cancel threat is more constant than Voice of Honour at a cost of Dishonour debuff and lagged Honour loss.

Calling in Favours - one of only 3 attachment control cards in the game, it has more potential upside than Let Go at the cost of 1 Fate, versatility and Dishonour

Way of the Scorpion / For Shame / Court Games + I Can Swim - more reason to bid high. keeping 2 unspent with a higher bid is a threat or bluff, A single high bid can activate all your I Can Swim cards you have been saving for the right moment (not 1/conflict or max. 1/round like Assassination).

So, if this build is going to focus on I Can Swim, it needs to bid high when required then find ways of stealing back that Honour. High bids require lots of 0F cost conflict cards - in this case 24 of them. The only other major cost is the Yojimbo which steals the pass bonus going 2nd and is substitute spend instead of a Dynasty card. This is most definitely not a Dishonour focus build but rather aims to be lower in Honour for Stronghold and Yogo Outcast then claw back the Honour with the Stronghold (during key windows) and Blackmail Artists.

Clan: Scorpion (allied to Phoenix)

Stronghold:
1x City of the Open Hand (Core Set #6)

Role:
1x Seeker of Air (Core Set #214B)

Provinces (5)
1x Entrenched Position (Core Set #17)
1x Manicured Garden (Core Set #19)
1x Meditations on the Tao (Core Set #20)
1x Pilgrimage (Core Set #22)
1x Secret Cache (Core Set #13)

Dynasty (40)
3x Bayushi Liar (Core Set #95)
3x Bayushi Manipulator (Core Set #96)
3x Bayushi Shoju (Core Set #107)
3x Bayushi Yunako (Core Set #105)
3x Blackmail Artist (Core Set #98)
1x Favored Niece (Core Set #102)
3x Shosuro Actress (Core Set #103)
3x Shosuro Miyako (Core Set #104)
3x Sinister Soshi (Core Set #97)
3x Soshi Illusionist (Core Set #99)
3x Yogo Hiroue (Core Set #106)
3x Yogo Outcast (Core Set #100)
3x Young Rumormonger (Core Set #101)
3x Imperial Storehouse (Core Set #129)

Conflict (40)
3x Unassuming Yōjimbō (Core Set #181)
3x Fiery Madness (Core Set #183)
3x Fine Katana (Core Set #200)
3x Ornate Fan (Core Set #201)
2x Pacifism (Core Set #174)
3x Assassination (Core Set #203)
3x Banzai! (Core Set #204)
3x Calling in Favors (Core Set #186)
3x Court Games (Core Set #206)
2x Display of Power (Core Set #179)
3x For Shame! (Core Set #207)
3x Forged Edict (Core Set #184)
3x I Can Swim (Core Set #187)
3x Way of the Scorpion (Core Set #185)

So some points of note.

Shosuro Miyako x3
She's best with a Rumourmonger in play and a bouncing Adept of Shadows, she's Scorpion's 4th unique for discounting and adds some military presence but does not trigger for Ambush, Charge, Oathkeeper. She has made me re-evaluate conflict characters because the 2 Fate swing of claiming the first pass bonus is so significant (especially if 2nd player, playing Yojimbo with 1 Fate in conflict 4 with Katana or Banzai to break in Military). But I treat her text as a bonus: 3 for 3/2/1 unique in a limited pool is enough to include her and if she triggers off Yojimbo, all the better.

Ambush x0 (Reprieve x0)
The problem is it ideally needs 2 untouched province slots totalling 6 (or a 4-coster plus an Adept in hand), that province may then be broken, and it adds to an existing conflict which means minimum 3 characters in attack = overkill. It doesn't work with Yojimbo's Covert and the cost is similar to a Yojimbo + Katana/Banzai that can solo break provinces in conflict 4. The cancellable 3 cost event can be risk, even with Edict in the deck (Guest of Honour is also an edge case). The Crab splash build plays Ambush x3 Reprieve x3 and other builds that bid high/low may play Ambush x3 Good Omens x3. But in this build, because it needs to play Miyako instead of Imperials (1x Favoured Niece is a pure insurance for some match ups, like discarding Way of the Scorpion in the mirror, as she's otherwise a poor card, 3F for 2/2/2 courtier), the Yojimbo takes the slot of the high cost conflict card.

Blackmail x0 (Stoic Gunso x0)
A conditional playable event like I Can Swim, it's also situational and needs to be built around (e.g. dishonour it with Spies at Court). Fear of Assassination will make the target rarely juicy. The event will become better with in-Clan sacrifice but currently feels the most niche of the high cost Scorpion cards.

Pilgrimage x1
Yes, there is anti-synergy with Display of Power. But with Sinister Soshi and Fiery Madness able to deny breaking without heavy commitment, as well as the lack of high Glory in Scorpion, Pilgrimage over Shameful Display seems the right call.

It's not the "standard" Crab build referenced above, just my more pragmatic less trait-based variant of Phoenix splash that NuFenix listed above. If I were to guess what changes would make it more similar to this Crab build, they would be:

Crab Variant

-2 Pacifism
-2 Display of Power
-3 Unassuming Yojimbo
-3 Shoshuro Miyaki

+2 Ambush
+3 Reprieve
+2 Watch Commander
+3 Seppun Guardsman (but Dishonoured Glory counts towards Imperial Favour)

The good thing with Scorpion is that you can focus on different cards in their pool and build differently. Here's hoping this stimulates more discussion on this clan.
  • NuFenix and VonWibble like this