Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Strategy Article Series - What do you want?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

IMABUNNEH

IMABUNNEH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Hi all,

I plan on starting a series of strategy articles, not just focusing on "clan strategies", but also focusing on how to play the game "correctly" (subjective of course!), how to play in certain situations etc.

Since the game has so many decision points, the answer to which are nearly always "it depends", I want to try and tackle the much more difficult decisions, things like how many cards to draw, how much fate to put on guys, what should or shouldn't be in your decks etc.

But before I get started (as I expect some of them to be fairly hefty), is there anything that people would like me to specifically tackle with regards to strategy or decisions to be made? As specific or vague as you want!

• WarfStyxfury likes this

Epicurus

Epicurus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Here's one I'm still working on:

Honor bidding. Is it generally the case that a given deck in a given matchup wants to always bid 5 or always bid 1, or should you vary your bid (excluding cases where you obviously do, such as I can swim or Good Omen).

If you're running Crab dishonor, for example, is it best to open with a "high" bid of 3+ in order to initially populate your hand with more options and bombs to credibly threaten plays like Way of the Crab, and then switch to 1 for the rest of the game to choke honor, or is it better to do bids of 1 right off the bat, or should you be adjusting more adaptably based on hand size or board state?

Generally we know when you should lower your bid - if honor matters to you or your opponent and you don't think you need the cards. When should you RAISE your bid, if ever?

Suppose you're in a tight spot and the game is going against you, and honor is fairly neutral between players. Bid 5 to hope for a big swing-out, even at the cost of honor?  What would you use to evaluate that decision in a game state?

I think another point that would be good for this game is a basic guide on the "big bombs" from each faction and how to play around them. Understanding how to play to avoid getting your big guys hit by I can swim, Way of the Crab, understanding how to play around Forged Edict and Voice of honor (being careful about using cards with high costs while those cards are usable, for example - much more painful to get an assassinate or way of the crab cancelled than a rout, for example). 

I'm pretty paranoid about things like this, but I know a lot of new players are likely to walk into some serious misplays (especially vs. Scorpion) when they don't know about this tech, know how to watch for it, or know the best ways to play around it.

Hakkor

Hakkor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Section of why cards regarded as "bad" are actually quite good, in terms of sinergies and/or strategy.

• Atrus likes this

Killcrazy

Killcrazy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
Might be useful to cover strategies around each phase of the turn - dynasty, honor bid, conflict. Theres a major focus on honor bids but very little discussion around dynasty and conflict. As 1st or 2nd player, what are the general strategies you can employ.

Another area to discuss is deckbuilding and cost curves. What does the optimal cost curve look like, how many holdings, role of chars in conflict decks etc.