Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Where has this community gone?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

OutOfFactionWarlord

OutOfFactionWarlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

The traffic here used to be pretty decent, but recently it's been almost in the "dead" category.  We've had the House with the Red Door spoiled for days now and there hasn't even been a thread about it (either getting excited or complaining about how it's just not as good as the original).

Is the game dying already, or are there just other more popular places to discuss these things these days?

America

America

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts
Facebook.com

Group: agot 2nd edition

That's where a good chunk of the conversation occurs.
  • LoneElfRanger and JoeFromCincinnati like this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3800 posts

yeah i'll admit facebook has made me rarely check here.....i use to post here probably 30+ times a day but just traffic is now on facebook 

• jmk4422 likes this

Unification

Unification

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

We've had the House with the Red Door spoiled for days now and there hasn't even been a thread about it (either getting excited or complaining about how it's just not as good as the original).

Well, why didn't you make a thread about it?

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Why didn't YOU make a thread about it?

CameronD

CameronD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Why didn't YOU make a thread about it?

Why didn't YOUUUU make a thread about it?

Reclusive

Reclusive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

There is the discord channel too.

I hate that the discussion is on Facebook thought. Wish ThronesDB has some forum functionality.

OutOfFactionWarlord

OutOfFactionWarlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Yeah that's a fair question.  My experience with the game isn't very thorough at this time, so I don't feel like I have the expertise to really start a good discussion on it given I never played with the original.  I was just looking forward to reading about something from the experts :)

Toggle

Toggle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

I would look for a regional or state-level Facebook group.  Those are generally good places to start conversations, especially if you're new.  It is hard to hold a conversation in a 5,000-person Facebook group (especially since FB is not well-formatted for actual discussion threads).

Palpa

Palpa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Facebook.com
Group: agot 2nd edition
That's where a good chunk of the conversation occurs.

so, the good news is that the game is not dying... Maybe cgdb, but not the game :D

Crouton

Crouton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Well, I have a question about where everyone is playing online? I was on OCTGN last night and didn't see any games being played or queued up. And it's been like that for a while now. Is there a new online platform out there that everyone is using?

BaraBob

BaraBob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Well, I have a question about where everyone is playing online? I was on OCTGN last night and didn't see any games being played or queued up. And it's been like that for a while now. Is there a new online platform out there that everyone is using?

I think most players now use theironthrone.net

FedericoFasullo

FedericoFasullo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Sadly yes, and it's far worse than OCTGN, fact is it can be played by browser

https://www.theironthrone.net/

wordsmith

wordsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Sadly yes, and it's far worse than OCTGN, fact is it can be played by browser

https://www.theironthrone.net/

I genuinely wonder in what particular attribute was OCTGN better than ironthrone.net

Because I tried both and OCTGN was unplayable (for me as octgn newb) while online version was intuitive and easy to access+play. OCTGN felt like to have a steam engine in the era of electric cars. Horrible experience. Never figured, what was the actual advantage of OCTGN?

FedericoFasullo

FedericoFasullo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts

I genuinely wonder in what particular attribute was OCTGN better than ironthrone.net

Because I tried both and OCTGN was unplayable (for me as octgn newb) while online version was intuitive and easy to access+play. OCTGN felt like to have a steam engine in the era of electric cars. Horrible experience. Never figured, what was the actual advantage of OCTGN?

It's hard to learn but once you managed to get how the system work in the long run it's so damn easy and games are really smooth. Also OCTGN has arrows and markers.

The Iron throne is exactly the opposite: so easy to learn due to all kind of automation and each step is clearly declared (mostly due to have only 1 button available). But int the long run the experience is mostly suffocating, costantly asking you to make useless steps always reminding you something you dont actually need to be reminded (apply claim? FFS YES YES) and automatism kinda steal a bit of the game experience. It's really obnoxious.

The main problem of OCTGN (which is making people go to ironthrone) are only 2: clunky update system, doesnt work on mac. And I'm fine with people using IronThrone, if a product is available to everyone (even on tablet!) that's the right product.

sdrewthomson

sdrewthomson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

I really wish the Skype group had taken off. I bought cards and I want to play with cards. I want to shuffle them, hold them and physically put them on the table. I'm sorry, but as much as I love this game, I can't bring myself to play a digital implementation of it. The physical experience is important to me.

If anybody feels the same way I do, join me here: https://join.skype.com/BTo1BuXIGCxA

I'm still on there, and if I knew that others were too, I'd be asking for games fairly regularly.

• sawtoothautumn likes this

wordsmith

wordsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Yeah you're right, those constant pop-ups are annoying but imo necessary in most cases.

As for OCTGN it was that absence of any automation which turned me off it. I mean the thing didn't even automatically shuffled the deck at start of the game... and I was surprised on my lucky draw of 3x Tywin and 3x Jaime in my initial hand... also the updates of each chapter pack and then the GUI which show opponent's cards upside down? all was ... revolting experience.

I think that absence of automation was exactly why it was used only by small group of enthusiasts. The web version on the other hand is accessible to large group of casual players, which benefits the game much more.

• Ryaxs likes this

FedericoFasullo

FedericoFasullo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts

You can shuffle as many times as you want... on the opposite for me, the fact that I cannot shuffle my deck before drawing at ironthrone feel a lot painful :P

davedave

davedave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

I think OCTGN got closer to the tabletop experience, where you btw also have to shuffle the deck yourself before drawing a setup etc.

Also, it lets you forget things, which at least for me has always pretty much been the main thing to do while playing AGoT: Remember all the effects that are currently active, remember all the responses, remember all the cards your opponent could have, remember all the cards you put in your deck and could draw into ...

In a physical game there is no popup asking you to trigger Put to the Sword after you won a mil challenge by 5 and have 2 gold left over. You have to think of that yourself.

And while that might sound mundane, pretty much all games I lost back when I was actively playing were because of me forgetting things.

So while theironthrone.net certainly makes it more accessible to a large group of casual players, as you put it, I think it waters down the experience.

Edit:

Updating was a pain in the ass.

It not running on Mac I refuse to believe, since things like Wine exist.

• FedericoFasullo likes this

Palpa

Palpa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

As written OCTGN was closer to a real match, as you had to think of actions by yourself. 

The funny thing is that everyone complains about theironthrone.net beeing too plentiful and claims OCTGN to be better, but no one plays on OCTGN. I left OCTGN because I couldn't implement latest sets (see my post in that topic - no answer since May). 

But now Germans have issues on theironthone.net as the game lags, maybe this could revive OCTGN...at least for Germans :P