Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best Provinces for Scorpion

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

freemandas

freemandas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

With the Seeker of Air, I wonder what another ring to replace.

My current configuration is:

-Air: Secret Cache

-Air: Manicured Garden

-Earth: Entrenched Position

-Fire: Meditations on the Tao

-Void: Shameful Display

I have replace water but I'm thinking about change it for fire, including Elemental Fury or maybe Rally to the Cause.

What do you think about it guys?

xRAVEx

xRAVEx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

I like the province choice. Don't think you need to replace anything. 

Are you going to use Entrenched for the stronghold?

freemandas

freemandas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

I like the province choice. Don't think you need to replace anything. 

Are you going to use Entrenched for the stronghold?

Yes

I'm playing this configuration an Meditations goes well but I don't know if  some water provinces would go better.

Another option is to play Night Raid under the stronghold and change earth to water, being at the end:

-Air: Secret Cache

-Air: Manicured Garden

-Fire: Night Raid

-Void: Shameful Display

-Water: Elemental Fury / Rally to the Cause.

The only think I don't like about water provinces or Night Raid is that you can only use its power once and Scorpion usually have the ability to avoid the province be broken thus I prefer provinces that you can use each conflict.

Hakkor

Hakkor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

As you say, playing scoprion more deffensively lets you abuse the "action" abilities, which you can have plenty. When considering the Air territories, I wasn't initially sure drawing a single card out of 5, or the potential draw of more than 1 card.

I have, for the moment, concluded that Secret Cache can be a great swing, and is an excellent option for the stronghold. The reasoning behind that is the psycological effect on my opponent. If I'm able to deploy four territories that actively discurage my opponent from attacking it again (considering they werent broken in the initial attack), it's more likely they will try to attack another covered territory, giving the extre edge of not knowing what is he going to face. A combination of (Void) Shameful Display, (Air) Manicured Garden, (Fire) Meditation of the Tao and (Earth) Entrenched position, gives you and incredible economy advantage if you keep your provinced unbroken.

Considering that, Secret Cache helps you in the final battle at the stronghold, usually game ending, letting you dig your deck and search for the key card that you need to keep your capital from breaking, thus earning you and extra turn and possible win.

I usually prefer water over earth for it's ability, but I thought to comment this configuration as a strategy plan, rather than valuing each teriritory individually.

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

I think those 5 are the right choice.

freemandas

freemandas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

As you say, playing scoprion more deffensively lets you abuse the "action" abilities, which you can have plenty. When considering the Air territories, I wasn't initially sure drawing a single card out of 5, or the potential draw of more than 1 card.

I have, for the moment, concluded that Secret Cache can be a great swing, and is an excellent option for the stronghold. The reasoning behind that is the psycological effect on my opponent. If I'm able to deploy four territories that actively discurage my opponent from attacking it again (considering they werent broken in the initial attack), it's more likely they will try to attack another covered territory, giving the extre edge of not knowing what is he going to face. A combination of (Void) Shameful Display, (Air) Manicured Garden, (Fire) Meditation of the Tao and (Earth) Entrenched position, gives you and incredible economy advantage if you keep your provinced unbroken.

Considering that, Secret Cache helps you in the final battle at the stronghold, usually game ending, letting you dig your deck and search for the key card that you need to keep your capital from breaking, thus earning you and extra turn and possible win.

I usually prefer water over earth for it's ability, but I thought to comment this configuration as a strategy plan, rather than valuing each teriritory individually.

I see the point to put Cache under the stronghole but, in my opinion, a province that don't punish the opponent is a province that the opponent like to attack and this means you can use cache more times and increase the possibility of being defended.

• Ignithas likes this

Hakkor

Hakkor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Secret Cache is reaction when the territory is revealed, so it's of 1 use. I was of the same thinking as you, until I read the card in detail.

Now, with the Air Seeker role (shame it's going away in November), it lets your search your key card from a deck that, on average, should have less than 15 cards. And you also get a fate, so you are more likely to play the card you searched for.

But it's just an approach I thought. Actually, Scorpion makes a great use out of conflict type changing with nasty surprises like Sohu, Also, arguing that thanks to the city of lies drawing a card instad of gaining a fate sound very reasonable. So in the end, it's a matter of how you want to play your deck. Which will become increasingly more complex as cycles are released.

Today I turned around a game that was a clear loss due to a terrible missplay in round 1, against Crane, surprisingly leaving my oppoenent down to 3 honor (i'm not sure how I got there, I suppose the Stronghold was the main factor).  And it's been the first game where Shameful Display has done nothing. My opponent cleverly waited until I had no characters to defend (or wasn't eager to defend a probe attack), and punished the territory with single character attacks while I was helpless. Blackmail was so good to defend such attacks and claim an additional ring for the Emperor's Favor.

The more I play, the less extreme my opinions get about cards, including territories. Sometimes they win games, sometimes they do nothing, so in the end I could say most of them belong to a middle gray scale, where choice depends on synergies with the deck, rather than "raw power".

Intolerance

Intolerance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Secret Cache is reaction when the territory is revealed, so it's of 1 use. I was of the same thinking as you, until I read the card in detail.

Might want to read it again :) It's a reaction to a conflict being declared there, which can happen multiple times

Hakkor

Hakkor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

For gods sake, that's brilliant! My usual opponent will freak out. As I said, it would be of a much better use in the initial provinces. Including both air provinces, plus Meditations of the Tao and Entrenched position will probably force you opponent to risk revealing the four provinces, hence a bigger opportunity to defend and increase your economy.

I still have to further test leaving the Cache under the stronghold for that big swing in the final battle, so I can't theorize any further.

Until now, one of the no-brainers as the capital was the night raid, which was usually attacked with everyting. Even if this tactic may seem reckless and not very likely, when both players sit on three broken provinces, getting the chance to break the capital first is priority number one, before the opponent does so. So my opponent was very likely to lose most of his cards in the last battle, which didn't ensure the win, but strongly helped achieving it. After a few games, I found that capital choice too risky, as it wasn't a 100% effective ability. The same goes for entrenched position. After some games against crane, I found myself that conflict tricks were more important than just raw defense, as it could be easily broken with political conflicts.

Eager to see the new provinces in the next cycle.

Any other thoughts? I find this thread very enlightening