Train journey to London so I've finally got time to respond to the above.
On Savvy Politician, I must confess I will often forget the 1/round for reactions & interrupts. With actions, it's very intuitive (although some action markers or just the convention to put a honour token on it seems an obvious missing element, the elegance of "bow denotes used" utterly destroyed by the clunky requirement to remember; we should have fed this back with Mavros instead of loyally accepting it so that he didn't reoffend - but various Conquest fans including World Champ GKZhukov expressed dismay at the Backlash design that we have in L5R which now stifles high cost events and attachments due to free counters/solutions).
But most games say each reaction/interrupt may simply be triggered once per qualifying criteria. It's sadly easy to forget that L5R is different when you play a lot of card games. Right at the start of this game, I remember excitedly building "the Shosuro Miyako deck" with full 10 ambush characters (I thought the inelegant artificial limit was to prevent abuse) and then being told in the game that this rule existed not just for actions (obviously) but all triggers. So yeah, thanks for highlighting this wasn't as bonkers as I thought. My careless slip into the mechanics of many other games.
However, at the risk of now appearing like I'm doubling down on my claim above, I still will contend that the card is awesome for Crane and here's why.
1. It's currently only for Crane (Air role only), though I agree Seeker of Air will be reclaimed by Scorpion at Worlds, seeded with Mark of Shame. We work with the cards and artificial constraints we've currently got.
2. Comparison with Way of the Crane is unfair because that is the best Way card. Way of the Lion may have more upside but it boosts their strength, is temporary and doesn't let you bid 1 more when that character leaves play.
3. A fairer comparison is with Guard Duty or Benten's Touch, both cards you have extolled here. But this card does not have a condition of defending or bowing a Phoenix shugenja. And it flips Dishonoured to Honoured at any time. Even non-Crane characters like Satoshi. It's so much better.
4. Shameful Display is The Bane of Crane. As I have stressed on this thread, Fire is Crane's key ring so it's no surprise. The card mitigates hitting this randomiser. It also empowers solo participating in Political vs. Court Games and being hit by For Shame, often in sequence.
5. Its synergies with other Crane cards like Voice of Honour, Noble Sacrifice and Savvy Politician makes it gold, ensuring consistency in using them well. In card game terms, it's Redundancy, not as good value as Way of the Crane (although occasionally better).https://magic.wizard...ancy-2014-03-10
Let's take an example: dishonoured Kaezin attacks in Political with 2 Fate spare. If you defend with 1, you Admit Defeat + this event. If you defend with 2+, it's a choice of duel to retreat or this event then duel to expel all bar 1 who you Admit Defeat (if you lose the duel, take the duel honour, go home with opponent overcommitted). Like Banzai, 1 card can turn a 0 attack into key 4, enough to break most provinces, and all for 1C1F is amazing. What if it's a Fire Ring attack that leads to a bowed honoured Kaezin with no Fate then sacrificing himself to kill a dishonoured champion? The ability to switch dishonoured to honoured in Crane with no criteria for 1C1F? Sign me up!
All Crane 3 costers (except Magistrate) are 2 Glory. This card reads for 1C1F, put 2 Katanas + 2 Fans on this dishonoured character. And instead of losing 1 honour as it leaves play, you get 1 honour to replace it. If you compare the premium you pay for a Banzai temporary spike vs. 2 Katanas that last until host leaves play, the upside for this card is awesome.
This is not to say that the card won't be good in Scorpion.Crane if Scorpion regains Seeker of Air at Worlds (yep so much for variety). It's certainly better than Mark of Shame which is overcosted until we get a "return attachment to hand" effect because of City of Lies (why they have made Air role Mark of Shame a 2 cost attachment with -1P double dishonour). So this may be a case of us viewing a card though our own respective lenses. I'm more a Crane player; you are more a Scorpion player.
The Dragon Alchemist to me indicates status markers could be far more changeable after this cycle hits and completes over 6 weeks.