Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Crane Deck Thread

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

Severijn

Severijn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Indeed, even though it is kinda unintuitive that it works that way. The reasoning is that you just changed the rule of what happens when a conflict is unopposed. Losing one fate is part of the effect, and the game doesn't care that you can't lose one fate. The ability does change the game state, so it in itself isn't countered.

It reads like a pretty weak card for an honor deck, but I do like the shenanigans of playing this character with a phoenix splash:

1. Lose an unopposed attack and play display of power in 3.2.3. when the winner is determined. Burn your last fate doing this. 
  2. Use the interrupt in 3.2.4. to not lose one honor.
  3. Hope that the province isn't broken.
  4. Shrug off the attack since you just won the ring, got its effect and didn't lose a province or an honor.

Probably still too bad to play in a real deck, but I'll certainly try getting janky honor victories in Crane with a phoenix splash and play this card in that list. Now I just need one more cheap shugenja and the consumed by five fires dream is on again. 

• SlaaneshDevotee likes this

sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
Pack 1 has a game changer for Crane.

Soul Beyond Reproach
Cost 1 event, Air role only, Crane 2 influence
Honour a character. Then honour it again.

Crane.Scorpion aggro-control will be sick.
Savvy Politician + Edict / Calling in Favours.
Even Spies at Court rises in value (no room).
Both Voice and Noble Sac will now be easy.
Even the shugenja build becomes stronger.

Slightly shocked. I'm assuming there will be other cards to counterbalance it.
  • Asklepios likes this

Grimbo

Grimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
Scorpion got the same thing for dishonoring. But as an attachment(and -1 political).

Interesting card for sure.

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Just to clarify, there Sparrowhawk, this card isn't any better for Savvy Politician than Way of the Crane is, right? Because you can only trigger its reaction once per round, regardless.

I guess all we're looking at really is a higher density of honoring effects, which is certainly welcome of course.

I'd say personally that it is a weaker card than Way of the Crane.

On a no-status target it's clearly weaker, as you're paying 1 fate for no extra benefit.

On a dishonored target it's slightly, as for jumping from 0 cost to 1 cost you'd expect a far bigger jump in benefit than being able to honor the same target again.

So overall, I'd ONLY ever run it out of Crane/scorpion, and even then, I'd hesitate, as in Crane/scorpion I probably still want Policy Debate over Forged Edict, because Crane has event cancel anyway, and in that context, Policy Debate is more powerful.

The bigger thing here, IMHO, is Scorpion / Crane. Scorpion right now has so few ways to leverage it's own higher-glory characters, as Court Games is generally their only card-based route to honor. For 2 influence, we're looking at all sorts of awesome, and unlike Crane, Scorpion pretty much relies on Forged Edict for its cancel..

• sparrowhawk likes this

sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
Train journey to London so I've finally got time to respond to the above.

On Savvy Politician, I must confess I will often forget the 1/round for reactions & interrupts. With actions, it's very intuitive (although some action markers or just the convention to put a honour token on it seems an obvious missing element, the elegance of "bow denotes used" utterly destroyed by the clunky requirement to remember; we should have fed this back with Mavros instead of loyally accepting it so that he didn't reoffend - but various Conquest fans including World Champ GKZhukov expressed dismay at the Backlash design that we have in L5R which now stifles high cost events and attachments due to free counters/solutions).

But most games say each reaction/interrupt may simply be triggered once per qualifying criteria. It's sadly easy to forget that L5R is different when you play a lot of card games. Right at the start of this game, I remember excitedly building "the Shosuro Miyako deck" with full 10 ambush characters (I thought the inelegant artificial limit was to prevent abuse) and then being told in the game that this rule existed not just for actions (obviously) but all triggers. So yeah, thanks for highlighting this wasn't as bonkers as I thought. My careless slip into the mechanics of many other games.

However, at the risk of now appearing like I'm doubling down on my claim above, I still will contend that the card is awesome for Crane and here's why.

1. It's currently only for Crane (Air role only), though I agree Seeker of Air will be reclaimed by Scorpion at Worlds, seeded with Mark of Shame. We work with the cards and artificial constraints we've currently got.

2. Comparison with Way of the Crane is unfair because that is the best Way card. Way of the Lion may have more upside but it boosts their strength, is temporary and doesn't let you bid 1 more when that character leaves play.

3. A fairer comparison is with Guard Duty or Benten's Touch, both cards you have extolled here. But this card does not have a condition of defending or bowing a Phoenix shugenja. And it flips Dishonoured to Honoured at any time. Even non-Crane characters like Satoshi. It's so much better.

4. Shameful Display is The Bane of Crane. As I have stressed on this thread, Fire is Crane's key ring so it's no surprise. The card mitigates hitting this randomiser. It also empowers solo participating in Political vs. Court Games and being hit by For Shame, often in sequence.

5. Its synergies with other Crane cards like Voice of Honour, Noble Sacrifice and Savvy Politician makes it gold, ensuring consistency in using them well. In card game terms, it's Redundancy, not as good value as Way of the Crane (although occasionally better).
https://magic.wizard...ancy-2014-03-10

Let's take an example: dishonoured Kaezin attacks in Political with 2 Fate spare. If you defend with 1, you Admit Defeat + this event. If you defend with 2+, it's a choice of duel to retreat or this event then duel to expel all bar 1 who you Admit Defeat (if you lose the duel, take the duel honour, go home with opponent overcommitted). Like Banzai, 1 card can turn a 0 attack into key 4, enough to break most provinces, and all for 1C1F is amazing. What if it's a Fire Ring attack that leads to a bowed honoured Kaezin with no Fate then sacrificing himself to kill a dishonoured champion? The ability to switch dishonoured to honoured in Crane with no criteria for 1C1F? Sign me up!

All Crane 3 costers (except Magistrate) are 2 Glory. This card reads for 1C1F, put 2 Katanas + 2 Fans on this dishonoured character. And instead of losing 1 honour as it leaves play, you get 1 honour to replace it. If you compare the premium you pay for a Banzai temporary spike vs. 2 Katanas that last until host leaves play, the upside for this card is awesome.

This is not to say that the card won't be good in Scorpion.Crane if Scorpion regains Seeker of Air at Worlds (yep so much for variety). It's certainly better than Mark of Shame which is overcosted until we get a "return attachment to hand" effect because of City of Lies (why they have made Air role Mark of Shame a 2 cost attachment with -1P double dishonour). So this may be a case of us viewing a card though our own respective lenses. I'm more a Crane player; you are more a Scorpion player.

The Dragon Alchemist to me indicates status markers could be far more changeable after this cycle hits and completes over 6 weeks.
  • Caldera likes this

Darthnazrael

Darthnazrael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

So apparently Soul Beyond Reproach isn't in the first pack. Are we thinking it's reserved for the 6th? Or the Scorpion pack?

Grimbo

Grimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

So apparently Soul Beyond Reproach isn't in the first pack. Are we thinking it's reserved for the 6th? Or the Scorpion pack?

Looks like it might be card #74, so...pack 4. :)

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

So how are folk getting on with Crane Honor decks?

Feels weird to be bidding 1 in Crane, doesn't it? The nice thing is though, most people are still expecting Crane to bid 5.

For my part, just did a crazy ass game which went:

Turn 1: Full value Chrysanthemum on turn 1  for +8 honour, had a Brash Samurai honored and dying for +1 honor, had 1 uncontested challenge against me -1 honour, plus -1 honor for a succesful Air against me. Made an Air attack for +2 honor courtesy of Winds of Change.

Turn 2: 1-1 bid, naturally. Attacked with kakita asami and guest of honor on air. Used ability. Summoned and used Kami Unleashed. Won challenge. Total: 25 honor.

So that's a two turn win. During that first turn my opponent broke two of my provinces. After that first challenge in the second turn, I had no more plays to make and would have lost the game on broken stronghold without a doubt.

All in all, not really my idea of a fun game, but just about the quickest non-conceded game of L5R I've ever had.

As always, would be useless in a tournament unless there was perfect discipline in not opponents not sharing your deck info.

Here's the deck though:

https://fiveringsdb....1ccf16fca4/view

• Caldera likes this

SlaaneshDevotee

SlaaneshDevotee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

In the interests of looking for other weird things to play, I made myself a 'lots of bowing' Crane deck.

It has way too many Bushi, with the idea that I can turn on Riot In The Streets (generally I've put it on my Stronghold and looked for cheap Bushi on most turns that look like a threat, and keep some Harriers in hand to up the numbers when needed.)

Guest of Honour is actually way too high a cost to bow a character (2 fate swing :/    ) but is there for the Bowing theme.

Lots of cards to help Duels, because Duelist Training bows the loser, so i want that to be a possibility.

It doesn't do too well so far. Either the game drags on way too long, or I can't bow enough attackers and I get bowled over quickly. I hit an Upholding Authority with 3 Mirumoto's Fury just now, and that sucks... Obviously a very silly deck, but any ideas how I can make it better while retaining as much bow as possible?

Bow For Your Superiors - v2.0
by: Aaron

Stronghold: Shizuka Toshi  (Core)
Role: Seeker of Air

Dynasty Deck (40)
Character (36)
3   Doji Whisperer  (Core)
3   Seppun Guardsman  (Core)
3   Brash Samurai  (Core)
3   Cautious Scout  (Core)
3   Daidoji Nerishma  (Core)
3   Doji Gift Giver  (Core)
3   Doji Shizue  (The Chrysanthemum Throne)
3   Savvy Politician  (Core)
3   Doji Challenger  (Core)
3   Guest of Honor  (Core)
3   Doji Hotaru  (Core)
3   Kakita Yoshi  (Into the Forbidden City)

Holding (4)
2   Artisan Academy  (Core)
2   Imperial Storehouse  (Core)

Conflict Deck (40)
Attachment (7)
3   Duelist Training  (Core)
2   Finger of Jade  (Tears of Amaterasu)
2   Kakita Blade  (For Honor and Glory)

Character (6)
3   Steward of Law  (Core)
3   Young Harrier  (Fate Has No Secrets)

Event (27)
3   Court Games  (Core)
1   Curry Favor  (The Chrysanthemum Throne)
3   For Shame!  (Core)
2   Let Go  (Core)
3   Voice of Honor  (Core)
3   Way of the Crane  (Core)
3   Admit Defeat  (Core)
3   Mirumoto's Fury  (Core)
2   Noble Sacrifice  (Core)
2   Outwit  (Core)
2   Test of Skill  (Fate Has No Secrets)

Province Deck (5)
1   Fertile Fields  (Core)
1   Manicured Garden  (Core)
1   Night Raid  (Core)
1   Riot in the Streets  (For Honor and Glory)
1   Shameful Display  (Core)

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

I like it.

Here's my serious take on Crane right now. Essentially it goes with as many strong effects as possible that have a cost of dishonoring, and a load of honoring. My theory here is that this is a deck that can deal with character abilities, attachments and events, and also has direct kill, but which also has a strong drive of its own in honor/dishonor shennanigans. Notably there are 12 cards here that can inflict dishonor, which sets up Stronghold and Noble Sacrifice.

Works fine. Suggestions welcome though. I spin in and out of including I Can Swim and Censure.

---

Honour is Currency

stronghold (1)
1x Shizuka Toshi
role (1)
1x Seeker of Air
province (5)
1x Abandoning Honor
1x Entrenched Position (STRONGHOLD)
1x Fertile Fields
1x Manicured Garden
1x Shameful Display
dynasty character (36)
3x Asahina Artisan
3x Brash Samurai
3x Callow Delegate
3x Cautious Scout
3x Doji Challenger
3x Doji Hotaru
3x Doji Whisperer
3x Fū Sui Disciple
3x Guest of Honor
3x Kudaka
3x Miya Mystic
3x Savvy Politician
holding (4)
3x Favorable Ground
1x The Imperial Palace
event (30)
3x Calling in Favors
3x Court Games
3x For Shame!
3x Game of Sadane
3x Noble Sacrifice
3x Policy Debate
3x Soul Beyond Reproach
3x Spies at Court
3x Voice of Honor
3x Way of the Crane
attachment (7)
3x Cloud the Mind
1x Court Mask
3x Mark of Shame
conflict character (3)
3x Steward of Law

Severijn

Severijn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

With this many cards that can dishonor an opposing character, do you still think Steward of law is the way to go? You cannot use almost half of your conflict deck when you have that character in play. 

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Sure, because I control when he is played. I guess he could get fish-hooked and cause me problems.

Maybe you're right. I'll experiment with swapping him out for Kami.

Severijn

Severijn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

So, in the spirit of experimentation, I tried my hand at a new crane deck. I feel that Hotaru received a very big bonus with the new ways to get her honored with the game of sadane and soul beyond reproach. There was also Callow Delegate, a 1-drop that is totally serviceable at any point in the game. He's even a courtier. This means that we have the ability to cut another expensive card for a callow delegate, and spend that fate saved on Hotaru instead. I also want ways to be more potent in military since the crane are lacking in that aspect. This brings me to this list:

Crane with games Shizuka Toshi

I feel it is in the spirit of the winter court that lion and crane learn to work together. I am also a little married to goblin legions of one that I directly lifted from my phoenix splash lion build. The point of the deck is that I have a ton of ways to get my characters honored and just start conquering my opponent with my 6/9 or 5/9 beatstick. If we attack solo, like with a cautious scout, a legion of one could lead to an easy break of a province. Thus far, the deck has been pretty strong. On jigoku, just as in my local playgroup, attachment hate is everywhere, so I cut down on that to the minimum. Crane has plenty of powerful events to play instead anyway.

In my games, I easily have had enough fate to play both yoshi and hotaru with 3 or more fate on when they show up. My conflict deck is tailored to keep them in play and honored. My dynasty deck provides ways to handle things that yoshi and hotaru are weak to, like a nasty province thanks to cautious scout, as well as cards that synergize with my lion cards on top of just being very playable cards at their core.

An odd card might be the bonsai garden. I think of them as ghetto forgotten libraries, since I get honor that I can spend on drawing more cards as necessary. They're also great as protection against dishonor decks and just fine overall as long as everyone wants to play Kudaka.

Things I am on the fence about:

• I think I want ready for battle in my splash at the cost of the stand your grounds. I am not sure whether I should cut a political rival or a soul beyond reproach for the third ready for battle.
  • I think I want the third noble sacrifice now that dishonoring my opponent is easier, just as it is easier to get my own characters honored.

• Caldera likes this

Caldera

Caldera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
@severijn: Will you be making room in your deck for Tengu Sensei now that the final pack is out? Seems to me that it could fit in well in place of Yoshi?

Not that i’m currently sat at my dining table building my first ever Crane deck or anything...

Severijn

Severijn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Tengu Sensei is certainly a card I want to work with, but I don't think he would be suited to this build. I feel that Tengu loses a lot when he gets blanked, especially compared to Hotaru and Yoshi that are just a pile of stats. The deck I want to try him in will want ways to ensure that Tengu Sensei will not get blanked as easily, so probably with a dragon splash. The other reason why I prefer Yoshi and Hotaru is because I want that 6 political strength for my 6 duels in the deck. I also think Tengu Sensei covers the military that I splashed lion for quite well by himself, so it's more that I will be slanting the deck to the military side, especially when I cut my best courtier in doing so.

I'm sure I will find a spot for him, but not with the lion splash. I'll work on a decklist when I get some time to do so. :)

I revisited this deck, and cut the last attachments to make opposing let go and calling in favor dead cards for the entire game. Even while the formal invitation is a powerful card, I need an action window to use its ability, and nobody will give that to me when they realize they have nothing else to play let go on. I also think I like Ready for battle more in a deck that comes swinging with a single attacker frequently, more than a stand your ground. I don't need stand your ground versus assassinate or so as I have voice of honor for that. So, long story short, I have made the following update: -2 formal invitations, -2 stand your ground, +3 ready for battle, +1 noble sacrifice.

• Caldera likes this

sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
Finally a chance to make another post!

We are discussing Crane decks in my local meta via a Facebook group (awful interface for deep analysis) so I thought the best way to contribute to the debate is to post here and link to the group.

So if I were to return to Crane, this would be the deck I would probably play.

"Hawk/Debate"
Crane.Dragon
Fast Aggro-Control

Shizuka Toshi
Seeker of Air
Manicured Garden Air
The Art of Peace Air
Entrenched Position Earth
Magistrate Station Fire
Shameful Display Void
Influence: 10/10

Dynasty Deck (40)

Character (33)
2x Asahina Artisan
1x Asahina Storyteller
3x Brash Samurai
3x Callow Delegate
3x Cautious Scout
3x Doji Challenger
3x Doji Hotaru
3x Doji Representative
3x Doji Whisperer
3x Guest of Honor
3x Kakita Yoshi
3x Savvy Politician

Holding (7)
3x Favorable Ground
3x Imperial Storehouse
1x The Imperial Palace

Conflict Deck (40)

Event (31)
3x Admit Defeat
2x Assassination
3x Banzai!
3x Court Games
3x For Shame!
2x Game of Sadane
2x Let Go ////
2x Noble Sacrifice
3x Policy Debate
2x Soul Beyond Reproach
3x Voice of Honor
3x Way of the Crane

Attachment (3)
3x Hawk Tattoo ///// /

Character (6)
3x Steward of Law
3x Young Harrier

My lists on this thread have rarely played any 4+ cost Crane card beyond Guest of Honour. This may be the first for a while but this deck demands high Political and high Glory.

Hawk => Game => Debate(s) feels strong.
Only attachments are auto-harpoon events.
Hawk (hits Crane bad) countered by Debate.
Hawk => Assassination => Admit Defeat.
Hawk => Harrier => Art Peace => Noble Sac.
Delegate + Samurai + Politician => Storyteller.
Hotaru / Yoshi + Artisan => Game / Debate.
Doji Rep + Hawk feint lure, defence vs Hawk,
Crane characters (Artisan, Storyteller, Way).

2 other Crane builds that come to mind are:

Courtiers.Scorpion with no 4+ except 3 Guests, also 3 Shigeru / 3 Rival / 3 Edict / 2 Calling / 3 Soul / 3 Invitation in a slow Control build. Waning Hostilities vs HMT.

Shugenja.Phoenix with Kudaka / Fu Sui / Bonsai / Winds / Kaito / Seeker / Cloud in a slow honour or dishonour deck.

But I don't have the patience for the latter nor the skill for the former. Give me instead the simple but effective synergy of Hawk/Debate aggressively ferreting out break openings.

DaidojiShingen

DaidojiShingen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Good Morning Crane!

So I wanted to drop some thoughts on the Imperial Advisor article on Elemental Cycle - Crane.  Through the article the authors assert that the Crane Honor deck is not yet here...is this a common belief out there?  I mean I have seen honor decks on here as well as Five Rings DB and I modified one that got a victory on Dragon (a rough one mind you) first time out and it seems real enough to me.  Or is this a bias against the condition from the "those meta players"?

My deck is a mix of air/honor based cards with the ability to switch to province break, not because I don't believe in the honor win, it is just that fate often hates me and buries the cards I need well down in my deck.  I am however very curious to know if the Crane honor win condition really isn't here yet and people are just getting lucky. 

• Grimbo likes this

sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
Much as I really hate to agree with the Crane reviewer on Imperial Advisor (we don't seem to get on, both of us outspoken, though I think there is mutual respect as card gamers), my take on Honour Crane is the same, that it's not there yet. The issue is once the strategy is sussed (quite early), it's quite easy to combat. Also the bid mechanic means there is only so much honour in a game. You need big cards like "all characters gain Pride for this phase" or just "honour all characters" to inject honour into the game on both sides. It's why Yurts promote honour wins.

But to answer this question, I also had to build the splash Phoenix build referenced in my prior post. To visualise if it's got legs, in the furtherance of card science of course...

"Blowing in the Wind"
Crane.Phoenix
Honour (Dishonour)

Shizuka Toshi
Seeker of Air
Before the Throne Air
The Art of Peace Air
Magistrate Station Fire
Shameful Display Void

Dynasty Deck (40)

Characters (34)
3x Asahina Artisan
3x Asahina Storyteller
3x Brash Samurai
3x Callow Delegate
3x Doji Hotaru
3x Doji Shigeru
3x Fū Sui Disciple
1x Ikebana Artisan
3x Kakita Asami
3x Kudaka
3x Savvy Politician
3x Seeker Initiate

Holdings (6)
3x Bonsai Garden
3x Imperial Storehouse

Conflict Deck (40)

Events (30)
3x Court Games
3x For Shame!
3x Game of Sadane
3x Noble Sacrifice
3x Policy Debate
3x Soul Beyond Reproach
3x Voice of Honor
3x Way of the Chrysanthemum
3x Way of the Crane
3x Winds of Change ///

Characters (10)
2x Kaito Kosori ////
2x Kami Unleashed
3x Seeker of Knowledge ///
3x Steward of Law

Sadly, this looks AWFUL! Whilst this may be the only time Shigeru is better than Guest of Honour (to tax events rather than delay their play, making them hungry for more draw), beyond the protection/durability of her unique status, the key card is Kudaka and the ruling on Seeker of Knowledge, in combination with Winds of Change and Kami Unleashed.

There is some subtlety. Game of Sedane at +3. Tempt them to bid 5 to your 1. Soul to add more honour into a game. Now Debate at +3. Both duels should be viewed as opportunities to gain honour with Chrysanthemum.

Yeah, this may work the first time you play it against someone but that's not good enough for a tournament is it? Plus you have to win via Dishonour against Scorpion. And I don't think rare Honour wins is a bad thing. Dull passive strategies are dangerous and have harmed so many card games that I've loved over the years.

I feel Phoenix.Crane Seeker of Air is a better Honour and Dishonour build with built-in card draw and draw filtering opponent to bid 2 etc, Ishika economy etc. The clue is there in the Steward's scholar trait.

Welcome to Friday afternoon bored at work jank!
  • Caldera and Grimbo like this

sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2038 posts
I feel a bit cheeky using this forum as a short cut for my local meta discussions...

Last night I bumped into a L5R meta mate whilst RPGing at my local shop which I rarely visit. He plans to play Crane.Scorpion in an upcoming tourney. So I discussed my build which was very different to his and promised to give him a list and a breakdown of reasons why I built it the way I did. I think referenced it in my post #136.

It goes back to my belief that Crane can rush assault win where Guest of Honour is the only 4+ cost character. The majority of my builds on this thread have followed this philosophy where you accelerate to sustain "4 Moving Parts". You can only follow this philosophy if you don't leverage Political Duels (where you need the 6s) freeing you from Artisan and you have tricks that ensure you precisely break provinces without over-committing. In such a build, the temptation to defend and see Admit Defeat is far greater.

So whilst I think my Crane.Dragon above is better in the current meta, if not expecting much Dragon in a tournament, there are good reasons to go Scorpion splash, especially as few will waste resource dishonouring Crane with Soul Beyond Reproach, here mitigating Scorpion self-dishonour.

"Honour Reversal"
Crane.Scorpion
Fast Aggro-Control

Shizuka Toshi
Seeker of Air
Manicured Garden Air
The Art of Peace Air
Magistrate Station Fire
Shameful Display Void

Dynasty Deck (40)

Characters (33)
3x Brash Samurai
3x Callow Delegate
3x Cautious Scout
3x Daidoji Nerishma
3x Doji Challenger
3x Doji Representative
3x Doji Shigeru
3x Doji Whisperer
3x Guest of Honor
3x Kakita Kaezin
3x Savvy Politician

Holdings (7)
3x Favorable Ground
3x Imperial Storehouse
1x The Imperial Palace

Conflict Deck (40)

Events (31)
3x Admit Defeat
2x Assassination
3x Banzai!
2x Calling in Favors ////
3x Court Games
3x For Shame!
3x Forged Edict ///// /
3x Noble Sacrifice
3x Soul Beyond Reproach
3x Voice of Honor
3x Way of the Crane

Attachments (6)
3x Fine Katana
3x Formal Invitation

Characters (3)
3x Steward of Law

So this really punishes event-based decks. Once you play Calling In Favours, you have given targets for Let Go so play attachments, both Katana and Banzai to give a lone Scout / Samurai / Kaezin bite. Formal Invitation work with all your 3 cost work-horses as well as a lure so better utility than a Fan in a build that doesn't Political Duel.

Asami like Hotaru is easy to Hawk Tattoo blank text whilst Shigeru's dash helps plus works passively with Favourable Grounds (but trumped by Guest of Honour passive). Kaezin controls who participates and can retreat, valuable in a Hawk meta. He also helps against Unicorn swarm and old style Lion swarm, synergising with Admit Defeat.

Most of the rationale for this build has been detailed before in my prior posts advocating focusing on Crane 3 and 2 cost characters as breakers. The advantage of 6 cancels is it strengthens Crane's 2 cost vs Assassination whilst ensuring your Assassinations work (often followed by Admit Defeat).

It's a fine build in Crane in my opinion and a good build to take if you want to gamble on not meeting Dragon in your match-ups.

EDIT: this looks embarrassing, accidentally liking your own post then you can't remove it!
  • Caldera, sparrowhawk and Grimbo like this

Severijn

Severijn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Can't say I agree with getting 6 cancellation cards, 3 of which that cost influence. Voice of honor and Forged edict don't play well with each other as they are rather counter-productive. I think you just open yourself up to getting your courtiers dishonored to the default state or to the dishonored state, leaving you with up to dead voice of reasons. And every challenge with Steward of law will make you either have to dishonor a honored courtier or have dead forged edicts.

Given the amount of high glory characters in here, I'd rather supplement the voice of honor with censure and use my influence for tools that make me win conflicts. Fiery madness (assuming you'd play cloud the mind at that point) and mark of shame are both interesting options.

The deck has no 5s, which is definitely interesting. You should be able to save up on fate for your events and attachments, but you don't have the political power house in here to help you, and overall you will be down a couple of heavy hitters compared to your opponent's deck. I personally think Tengu Sensei would work well in this deck, but perhaps daidoji Nerishma will give you plenty to spend your fate on.