Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fall 2017 Online Tourney Groups Stage Results Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

Ozrix

Ozrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Hey kiramode,

Sorry to say but I am going to drop from the top 16 cut.  I have like 3 weeks before Worlds where I am playing Thrones, L5R and ANR and I need to spend my available time playing those card games right now and not this one.  :(  I'd recommend giving Donovan my spot in the top 8 and James his spot in the top 16.

Thanks for running a fun tournament, I really did have fun in the group round!

Tom

• kiramode likes this

kiramode

kiramode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1793 posts

Hey kiramode,

Sorry to say but I am going to drop from the top 16 cut.  I have like 3 weeks before Worlds where I am playing Thrones, L5R and ANR and I need to spend my available time playing those card games right now and not this one.  :(  I'd recommend giving Donovan my spot in the top 8 and James his spot in the top 16.

Thanks for running a fun tournament, I really did have fun in the group round!

Tom

Bummer. Thinking I'll give the final spot to mattzag. I'd rather have a 5-5 enter the cut than a 4-4. So here's the new cut:

1 Tarjan 9-0, 108
2 RoyalAegis 9-1, 111
3 Mitch2480 8-2, 109
4 Haxxson 7-1, 92
5 Jarratt 6-2, 84
6 DonovanM 5-3, 85
7 Wookieroar 5-3, 80
8 Yodaman 4-2, 59
9 Doctormungmung 7-3, 104
10 WC Brad Emon 7-3, 101
11 sdrewthomson 6-4 87
12 CoDameron 6-4, 82
13 Kiramode 5-3, 81
14 TheNameWasTaken 5-3, 75
15 Mattzag 5-5, 80
16 oskaross88 4-2, 55

Mattzag vs oskaross88 for the 15 seed should probably go to oskaross88, but Mattzag has already played Tarjan and I want to avoid players playing someone from their group round 1. All the other matchups look kosher.

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3635 posts
So not match play single elim? And after you went to the trouble of sorting the points.

kiramode

kiramode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1793 posts

So not match play single elim? And after you went to the trouble of sorting the points.

Points is great for tiebreakers in swiss, but the top cut should be all about wins.

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3635 posts

Points is great for tiebreakers in swiss, but the top cut should be all about wins.

Yeah I agree. I like the double elim. I see the flaws with waiting around but I don't really feel the match play truly reflects what this game is about. Others do, they kind of feel a Match is the game. That's cool too.
  • kiramode likes this

CoDameron

CoDameron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

12 CoDameron 6-4, 82

How did this happen? I mean, who even allowed this to happen? 

Yeah I agree. I like the double elim. I see the flaws with waiting around but I don't really feel the match play truly reflects what this game is about. Others do, they kind of feel a Match is the game. That's cool too.

I would like to put my 2 cents in and suggest a standard tournament bracket with each round being best 2/3. This helps people schedule because there would be fewer instances of people needing to meet up and play. I also think that this game does better in a format where a player can learn their opponent and their style as the game progresses, and having multiple consecutive games promotes that. I would even be in favor of a stipulation that any 3rd tiebreaker game must be played with different decks. Just a thought. 

• kiramode likes this

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2653 posts

It really doesn't matter to me.  doctormungmung and I played one game last night and I won as DS.   if we need to make it best 2 out of 3, I'm sure he and I can find a time to get 2 more games in.  We'd end up needing the 3rd one after he crushes me again in our 2nd game with the DS deck  he's been using and beating me consistently with no matter what I tossed at it in testing the past few weeks.

• kiramode likes this

kiramode

kiramode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1793 posts
I personally wouldn't mind a 2 out of 3, but I personally love the double elimination format. There is also something to be said about having the final stage of the tournament be played under official rules. I'll also note that when people only need to get one game in; the games get scheduled a lot quicker. Every tourney with double elimination brackets gets done really fast in my experience. The one where Adam did single elimination 2 out of 3 people took longer to set stuff up.

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3635 posts

I personally wouldn't mind a 2 out of 3, but I personally love the double elimination format. There is also something to be said about having the final stage of the tournament be played under official rules. I'll also note that when people only need to get one game in; the games get scheduled a lot quicker. Every tourney with double elimination brackets gets done really fast in my experience. The one where Adam did single elimination 2 out of 3 people took longer to set stuff up.

The best double elim format I saw was when Euro's wasn't controlled by FFG and they did two top 8 cuts and then the final was a best two of three between the winners of each bracket.