Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Teamwork and Gladiators and Edge Stacks

Best Answer TheNameWasTaken , 08 October 2017 - 06:33 AM

All correct. "After edge stacks are revealed" refers to the framework step, which always happens even if there are no cards in said stacks. "After your edge stack is revealed" refers to one specific edge stack, and you can't reveal an empty stack. And inexorable doesn't trigger off of Gladiator reactions because cards placed by Gladiators don't count as having been revealed.

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

RoyalAegis

RoyalAegis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Had a conversation with someone previously and I'd just like to get these in writing so they can be posted as rulings on the card descriptions in the future.

Teamwork: "After edge stacks are revealed, you gain +X force icons for your side for this edge battle. X is the number of different affiliations among cards you control."

Gladiator-class Star Destroyer: "While this unit is participating in an engagement, it gains,

'Reaction: After your edge stack is revealed, place 1 card not named Twist of Fate from your hand into your edge stack.'"

To my knowledge, if you go into an edge battle and both players pass without throwing cards in you can still play Teamwork.

BUT, you could NOT put a card into the edge battle in that same scenario using the Gladiator's text (assuming he's participating in an engagement).

Also while I'm on the subject of the Gladiator, it is to my knowledge that you can't trigger Inexorable Destruction off of its text, correct?

Inexorable Destruction: "After you reveal 1 or more [Imperial Navy] fate cards in your edge stack, target a participating friendly enemy unit. That unit strikes immediately."

TheNameWasTaken

TheNameWasTaken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
✓  Best Answer

All correct. "After edge stacks are revealed" refers to the framework step, which always happens even if there are no cards in said stacks. "After your edge stack is revealed" refers to one specific edge stack, and you can't reveal an empty stack. And inexorable doesn't trigger off of Gladiator reactions because cards placed by Gladiators don't count as having been revealed.

• RoyalAegis likes this

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3648 posts
Follow up. Let's say Obi Wan asks the first are to be face-up. If you play tactical plannong face up does it ever count as being revealed for Inexorable Destruction. Either then, or later when Edge stacks are revealed.

I assume no, but have no actually reasoning either way.

Thaliak

Thaliak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

You're right that Tactical Planning wouldn't trigger when it is the first card in the edge stack and the Obi-Wan from Forgotten Heroes is in the engagement. FAQ 4.16 has a strict definition of "reveal." To be revealed, a card must go from hidden to visible through a card or game effect that uses the term "reveal." Since Tactical Planning goes into the edge stack face up, it is never hidden and can't be revealed.

• dbmeboy and GreedoShotFirst like this

theChony

theChony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

You're right that Tactical Planning wouldn't trigger when it is the first card in the edge stack and the Obi-Wan from Forgotten Heroes is in the engagement. FAQ 4.16 has a strict definition of "reveal." To be revealed, a card must go from hidden to visible through a card or game effect that uses the term "reveal." Since Tactical Planning goes into the edge stack face up, it is never hidden and can't be revealed.

Well... the fate card did go from hidden in your hand to face up in the edge stack through Obi Wan. But according to 4.16 as you showed, this isn't revealed just because Obi Wan's text didn't specifically use 'reveal'? Is that one card ever 'revealed'? If that was my only card, did I not reveal an edge stack?

Could be a case of antiquated Core text.

Thaliak

Thaliak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

That's correct. The text has to specifically say "reveal." Obi-Wan doesn't, so the card he shows is never revealed. If it's the only card in your edge stack, you never reveal your edge stack, because the stack doesn't go from being hidden to being visible. This means you wouldn't be able to add to it with Gladiator.

At first, I found the strict definition of "reveal" odd. However, it keeps effects that trigger off "reveal" from causing problems when people show cards in other ways, such as discarding them.