Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Varys Riddle vs Power Behind The Throne

- - - - -

Best Answer mplain , 12 October 2017 - 08:29 AM

Varys's Riddle into Power Behind The Throne = 2 stand tokens.

Varys's Riddle initiates the When Revealed ability on Power Behind The Throne. That ability is indeed self-referential, i.e. referring to the card that is the source of the ability, i.e. PBTT. So, each player resolving the When Revealed ability on PBTT is instructed to place a stand token on PBTT. One player places one token, then the other player places another token. Both tokens go on the same card, i.e. the card that is the source of the ability being resolved, i.e. PBTT.

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Stormborn

Stormborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

If you are the PBtT player can you use both stand tokens on your characters?

Bonus question, what plots can benefit you against Varys Riddle, I got:
Confiscation
Duel
Fallen from Favor
Ghosts of Harrenhall
Marched to the Wall
Political Disaster
Reinforcements
Trading with the Pentoshi
The Long Winter

Attached Files

gramyotron

gramyotron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

PBTT is self referential. VR does not work, because VR is not named PBTT. You do not put another token on opponent's plot.

Post below caught that VR executes "from" PBTT so that statement is false.

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1437 posts
✓  Best Answer

Varys's Riddle initiates the When Revealed ability on Power Behind The Throne. That ability is indeed self-referential, i.e. referring to the card that is the source of the ability, i.e. PBTT. So, each player resolving the When Revealed ability on PBTT is instructed to place a stand token on PBTT. One player places one token, then the other player places another token. Both tokens go on the same card, i.e. the card that is the source of the ability being resolved, i.e. PBTT.

• FedericoFasullo likes this

Odrl

Odrl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

And the player who revealed Power Behind the Throne can then trigger it twice, even though one of the stand tokens was placed by his or her opponent?

• Stormborn likes this

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1437 posts

Yes. Who placed the tokens is irrelevant.

Here's a somewhat relevant FAQ entry:

(1.4) Control of Tokens

Tokens are not considered to be under a player's control. Rather, tokens exist either in game areas (such as in a player's gold pool) a player controls or on cards (such as on a faction card or on a character) that are under a player's control.

- A player's power total is determined by counting the total number of power on cards he or she controls.

- Unless otherwise specified by an ability, a player may only use tokens that are in game areas or on cards he or she controls to pay costs.

• FedericoFasullo and Odrl like this

wordsmith

wordsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Bonus question, what plots can benefit you against Varys Riddle, I got:
Confiscation
Duel
Fallen from Favor
Ghosts of Harrenhall
Marched to the Wall
Political Disaster
Reinforcements
Trading with the Pentoshi
The Long Winter

Reinforcements benefits player who revealed Varys's Riddle. Others you mentioned are situational - like Confiscation - depends on who has or has not any attachments, but in general benefit for Varys's Riddle.

So far I found only very few plots which are harming (or benefiting the opponent of) Varys's Riddle player:

Trading With the Pentoshi

Fallen From Favor

Power Behind the Throne

... from which the last 2 are played very seldom, also Trading is less used since Late Summer Feast

There is a discussion about it on the card page, I didn't like that plot first but later I learned that it is a very good plot for an experienced player who knows what to do. You can use Varys's Riddle in so many situations where it directly benefits you, like f.e.:

- setup, I play one character, opponent setup 2+ characters - I suspect Marched to the Wall, I counter with Varys's Riddle, I march 1 character, opponent marches 2 characters

- Summer Harvest - very popular opener, counter with Varys's Riddle - go 1st, let the Summer Harvest to be initiated 1st, then Vary's Riddle will set it to 2 gold income for Summer Harvest player

- I see opponent have several characters with dupes, me - none with dupe - I suspect Valar - I counter with Varys's Riddle - booyah, all dead, not only my chars

- other popular plots like Heads on the Spikes, Counting Coppers, Calm over Westeros, Close Call, Filthy Accusations - all benefit Varys's Riddle player

The best thing on Vary's Riddle is that it is usable as opening plot as well as late game plot. It has good stats and is must have in any Rains Agenda deck. It requires experience to use correctly but is one of the finest plots there is.

Stormborn

Stormborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Thanks for the replies all!