Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Confrontation Cycle - Pack 1 “By Imperial Decree”

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

TeamApoka

TeamApoka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Confrontation Cycle - Pack 1 “By Imperial Decree”
Here it comes!

lcg6Nk5l.jpg

The first pack of the Confrontation Cycle!
Maybe you read the story about the Chapter Champion Varn:
Now you can play with him!
This first pack starts the cycle with a bang: 1 Synapse, 2 Warlords and 20 planets!
First an Imperial Fists warlord, that allows you to transform each and every building into fortifications.
And with him, an harlequin warlord, that blurs the line in battle, and turns your army into a mist of colors.
Second, a new synapse arises, the taint of the Tyranid infestation has never been so dangerous.
Third, two new sectors of 10 planets, to refresh your games and let you explore new horizons!

The full pack is here:
As always, it will be there for a full week so everyone can comment and feedback before we release the printable version. Any comment is welcome!

You can play the new planets on OCTGN, get your imagepack here:

Not only you must burn the heretic, but you must do it on an extended war front of three sectors... by imperial decree!

Enjoy,
Team Apoka

• killaszit, zaspacer, GuessWePlay5Rings and 2 others like this

Corelogic

Corelogic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Nice. Was looking at this earlier and I have several questions.

Planets

1) How are the planets divided? Is that small icon below the planet's resource bonus the marker for that division?

2) Erida: Forced commit ability sets hand size to 8 cards this round. That only applies to the player whose warlord goes there or does that apply to both even if only one player goes there?

3) Beckel: The victory ability seems a bit overpowered. Being able to look at your opponents live hand is wayyyyy more useful than gaining one measly resource. It can influence what strategy I choose to do from then on or not. Also when you say name a card you mean the actual name of an individual card and not the type of card it is right? Perhaps up the amount of money you get for naming a card and remove the bit where you see your opponent's hand?

4) Jaricho: So I'm wondering about the timing.

1. For the first case let's say that this is on planet number 3 and the battle on planet 1 happens, no battle on planet 2 happens and then I win this battle on planet 3 and then I can immediately go and do the battle on planet 2?
  2. For the second case let's say this is on planet planet 3 again and the battle on planet 1 happens but now there is a battle on planet 2 that get's resolved and then we do the battle on Jaricho. Does this mean I can go and have another battle on planet 2 again? I am assuming not since there was a battle there this phase already.

5) Anshan: What does the commit ability mean exactly when it says "For each player..." Does that refer to each player in the game? At this planet with a warlord? Are you guys setting up rules for 2v2 or more games? This is what I'm getting by reading the Jalayerid as well.

6) Vargus: I am going to assume the card receiving the damage cannot use shields on it?

Imperial Fists

Great flavour on the warlord and it fits their background as siege masters.

1) The siege masters: when it says "remove up to 2 damage from support cards..." is that a cumulative 2 or up to 2 from each?

2) Citadel of Vami: since this doesn't exhaust for its reaction I guess it applies to all support cards deployed after this is put into play and includes support cards both you and your opponent put into play.

Harlequins

1) Zen Aonia: does this mean they lose 1 instance of the area effect keyword or all instances of the area effect keyword? Wondering if this is similar to squiggoth brute or not. Also does that still apply after he retreats from the planet? As for his forced interrupt how would that apply to say a card that has the defender text in their box like front line 'ard boyz (as an example since i can't recall if the eldar also have a defender like that or not)

2) Masters of the Webway: I love it. I can see a use of putting this down just to mess with my opponents. Though I do have a question about timing. Can this be sacked up until the point where the dials are revealed or do you need to do it before players select their destinations? Also if you guys are going to do 2v2 rules how will this apply in who get's to swap with who?

Other Cards

1) Command Predator: I am assuming that the limit once per phase rule applies to the ability instead of the card itself in that you can only do this specific ability once per phase regardless of how many of these you have in play?

2) Advocator of Blood and Ireful Vanguard: What if both warlords are bloodied do you gain 2 command icons then and same with the +1/+1?

3) Triarch Stalkers Procession: wow that seems a bit strong for the cost of 3. I realize your opponent draws 2 but still =\.

LilBabyDragon

LilBabyDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Other Cards

1) Command Predator: I am assuming that the limit once per phase rule applies to the ability instead of the card itself in that you can only do this specific ability once per phase regardless of how many of these you have in play?

3) Triarch Stalkers Procession: wow that seems a bit strong for the cost of 3. I realize your opponent draws 2 but still =\.

For the Command Predator, I believe the ability can be used multiple times if you have multiple copies in play, otherwise it would be "Max 1 per phase" and not "Limit." From rules reference guide:

“Limit once per X” is a limit that appears on cards that remain in play through the resolution of their effect. Each copy of an ability with such a limit may be used once per each period of X.

“Max 1 per X” is a maximum that appears on cards that do not enter or remain in play through the resolution of their effect. (An event card, for example.) Such a maximum refers to all copies of that card, by title. Initiating an ability on such a card counts towards the maximum on all copies of that card.

For Triarch Stalkers, agreed. Those are incredibly powerful stats for such a cost. Maybe it should be your opponent draws two and you have to discard two.

bolomolo

bolomolo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Ok, here it goes, your harshest critic is here:

Overall: I understand that the game has to have some powercreep, and that you are still trying to balance the game from the state that FFG left it in, so I'm just commenting on (IMO) unnecessary powercreep and OP-cards. No weak cards, which is nice. Keep up the good work, and thanks for all the hours you put into the game!

Champion Varn: Theme is understandable and simple enough. Great design. They build (siege)-stuff that protects them. However, I don't understand the wording on the hale side, english isn't my native language. Is it "non-lethal damage" that triggers moving damage?

3rd comp tact: scrap the command hammers, unit is powerful enough without it.

The Siege Masters: scrap cannot be cancelled. Event cancellation is an intriguing part of the game, and builds tension. Safeproofing just seems boring.

Zen"Xi" Ainia: Another excellent design, love all the tricks and tactics of the Harlequin. Should she have a restriction 'x times per phase'?

Sun prince: seems power-creepy.

Access to the Black Library: should probably read "2 'eldar'-cards" or "a tactic event" to be more thematic.

Master of the Webway seems like a sure way to win the first planet. You use it when you have initiative and know that you will have better armies at p1. Is this too strong? Don't really know.

Command Predator: Very good option for Maxim and Gorzod, even though it's probably worse than Land Raider for most other decks, since Predators' special won't trigger many times during a game.

Bravestorm: Unique and not loyal? This card card seems to fit in many decks, including necrons.

Phantasmatic Masque:if it dies it doesn't trigger, right? (Like Barstool)

Connoisseur of Terror: thought it was OP when I first saw it, but then noticed the lack of powerful traits, which makes the card fine.

Advacator of blood: scrap command hammer bonus to avoid powercreep.

Ireful Vanguard: add target unit. 1/3 damage is probably enough, or move to at the end of the first combat round. Compare to Noise Marine Zealots, this seems crazy.

Expandable pawn: powerful, but not feeling the theme. How about sac the card for getting brutal, attack boost or something more 'Khorny'. 

Morkanaut Rekuperator : You don't pay for the attachment, right? Really like the theme of ork magik, everything works, if you just believe it will. probably add "once per phase", even if it isn't that orky.

Planets are well designed, about time to rotate.

Erida: can only sac 1 unit, right?

Jaricho: the commit is weak sauce, how about: reveal all but three cards from your hand.
Nectavus: seems complicated. How about battle: gain 1C/1R.

Excellor: add target units, since moving is often worse than routing, which the current planet does.
Navida Prime: kinda boring design, most of the times it does nothing good, and the rest of the times, it will be used to the same effect over and over.

Kunarog: add 'or destory 2 token units at a non-first planet', to make it mopre even for the different factions.
Ironforge: Don't like the bookeeping. Would like a battle (or commit) that destroys supports or attachments instead.

• Eu8L1ch, TeamApoka and Rinabros like this

TeamApoka

TeamApoka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Corelogic answers:

Planets
1) How are the planets divided? Is that small icon below the planet's resource bonus the marker for that division?

They are divided by :
- Color of the background
- Icon
- Commit ability
- Back (for the printed cards)

2) Erida: Forced commit ability sets hand size to 8 cards this round. That only applies to the player whose warlord goes there or does that apply to both even if only one player goes there?

It apply to both. It's the handsize limit which is set, in general.

3) Beckel: The victory ability seems a bit overpowered. Being able to look at your opponents live hand is wayyyyy more useful than gaining one measly resource. It can influence what strategy I choose to do from then on or not. Also when you say name a card you mean the actual name of an individual card and not the type of card it is right? Perhaps up the amount of money you get for naming a card and remove the bit where you see your opponent's hand?

It's the actual name of an individual card.

4) Jaricho: So I'm wondering about the timing.
For the first case let's say that this is on planet number 3 and the battle on planet 1 happens, no battle on planet 2 happens and then I win this battle on planet 3 and then I can immediately go and do the battle on planet 2?

Correct.

For the second case let's say this is on planet planet 3 again and the battle on planet 1 happens but now there is a battle on planet 2 that get's resolved and then we do the battle on Jaricho. Does this mean I can go and have another battle on planet 2 again? I am assuming not since there was a battle there this phase already.

You can. There will be a second battle on planet 2.

5) Anshan: What does the commit ability mean exactly when it says "For each player..." Does that refer to each player in the game? At this planet with a warlord? Are you guys setting up rules for 2v2 or more games? This is what I'm getting by reading the Jalayerid as well.

- Each player in the game.
- Nice catch. 2v2 is coming soon. We tested it for long months, and it's ready.

6) Vargus: I am going to assume the card receiving the damage cannot use shields on it?

Yes. Move damage can't be shielded.

Imperial Fists
Great flavour on the warlord and it fits their background as siege masters.
1) The siege masters: when it says "remove up to 2 damage from support cards..." is that a cumulative 2 or up to 2 from each?

It's 2 damage total. You can do 0 and 2, or 1 and 1, etc.

2) Citadel of Vami: since this doesn't exhaust for its reaction I guess it applies to all support cards deployed after this is put into play and includes support cards both you and your opponent put into play.

Correct. But because it is not a "Forced" interrupt, you can choose not to trigger it on your own supports if you prefer to get the advantage of your textbox that turn over removing 1 damage.

Harlequins
1) Zen Aonia: does this mean they lose 1 instance of the area effect keyword or all instances of the area effect keyword? Wondering if this is similar to squiggoth brute or not.
Yes. It works like Squiggoth brute.

Also does that still apply after he retreats from the planet?
Nope. Like Straken, if she retreats, the bonus vanishes.

As for his forced interrupt how would that apply to say a card that has the defender text in their box like front line 'ard boyz (as an example since i can't recall if the eldar also have a defender like that or not)

Her interrupt has "instead", so it's a replacement effect. So it apply this way:
1/ your opponent chooses a target
2/ the eldar unit is at the planet, so he MUST choose it as a defender
3/ now you trigger your interrupt, and you change the defender for another one instead.

2) Masters of the Webway: I love it. I can see a use of putting this down just to mess with my opponents. Though I do have a question about timing. Can this be sacked up until the point where the dials are revealed or do you need to do it before players select their destinations? Also if you guys are going to do 2v2 rules how will this apply in who get's to swap with who?

Timing: You must sac it at the beginning of the deploy phase. To give a chance to your opponent to react. So he knows before hand that it's going to be messy during next commit. ^^
Apply on 2v2: You'll see with 2v2 rules, players of each team has a Role. The swap applies per role.

Other Cards

Incorrect. ^^
If, the God-Emperor knows how, you manage to have 3 of them ready at a planet, you can chain attack.

2) Advocator of Blood and Ireful Vanguard: What if both warlords are bloodied do you gain 2 command icons then and same with the +1/+1?

Correct. The condition is true once at least one (but 2 is ok) warlord is bloodied.

:)

• veezya, Rinabros and Blackwhyn like this

TeamApoka

TeamApoka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Bolomolo's answers:

Ok, here it goes, your harshest critic is here:

Yeahh!

Overall: I understand that the game has to have some powercreep, and that you are still trying to balance the game from the state that FFG left it in, so I'm just commenting on (IMO) unnecessary powercreep and OP-cards. No weak cards, which is nice. Keep up the good work, and thanks for all the hours you put into the game!

Thank you! But, really, some cards "seem" powercreep but they aren't really. See how the Charging Juggernaut seemed totally insane. And Baarzul isn't roaming wild the galaxy yet. But sure, we design "strong". ^^

Champion Varn: Theme is understandable and simple enough. Great design. They build (siege)-stuff that protects them. However, I don't understand the wording on the hale side, english isn't my native language. Is it "non-lethal damage" that triggers moving damage?

Good point. The wording seems a bit "strange", but this is exactly for the reason you mention: It is "non-lethal damage" only that triggers it. Otherwise Varn is just totally screwed against Elites: He would be forced to move useless damage over dead units and still losing his supports.

3rd comp tact: scrap the command hammers, unit is powerful enough without it.

^^ Sure. But remember: The warlord's interrupt is "forced". Which means you are constantly "under siege", and if you lose too hard to command, you're just dead.

The Siege Masters: scrap cannot be cancelled. Event cancellation is an intriguing part of the game, and builds tension. Safeproofing just seems boring.

Well. They'll nullify something else. It's the full might of the chapter, an eldar gesture can't stop them. But our tests proved it: SM has a ton of good events, the eldar player will have an opportunity to nullify something anyway. (Also see "constant struggle for supports" part)

Zen"Xi" Ainia: Another excellent design, love all the tricks and tactics of the Harlequin. Should she have a restriction 'x times per phase'?

We opted for the "At this planet" restriction instead.

Sun prince: seems power-creepy.

Yes. We forgot to mention it, but she has on x1 of each "harlequin player". So it's a bit powerful, but it's both a signature and a x1.

Access to the Black Library: should probably read "2 'eldar'-cards" or "a tactic event" to be more thematic.

Mh. Well... thematically, you can find ANYTHING in the black library, isn't it? :)

Master of the Webway seems like a sure way to win the first planet. You use it when you have initiative and know that you will have better armies at p1. Is this too strong? Don't really know.

Remember you must wait 1 full round to play it. Because the turn you deploy it the "beginning of deploy phase" is already over. So you really need to plan ahead for maximal effect.

Command Predator: Very good option for Maxim and Gorzod, even though it's probably worse than Land Raider for most other decks, since Predators' special won't trigger many times during a game.

Thx ^^

Bravestorm: Unique and not loyal? This card card seems to fit in many decks, including necrons.

Mh. It should be loyal. We'll investigate why it doesn't have the blue flag.

Phantasmatic Masque:if it dies it doesn't trigger, right? (Like Barstool)

Correct.

Connoisseur of Terror: thought it was OP when I first saw it, but then noticed the lack of powerful traits, which makes the card fine.

Bolomolo, you are a true Connoisseur of Traits.

Advacator of blood: scrap command hammer bonus to avoid powercreep.

Worry not. Anyway, the defeat of your false emperor is inevitable, hammer or not.

Ireful Vanguard: add target unit. 1/3 damage is probably enough, or move to at the end of the first combat round. Compare to Noise Marine Zealots, this seems crazy.

It seems powerful. It has been carefully designed in collaboration with Eulich. He may come here to answer a bit himself, but I have worked with him for hours, so I can already tell he'll answer : "Anything compared to Noise Marine Zealots seems crazy." ^^

Expendable pawn: powerful, but not feeling the theme. How about sac the card for getting brutal, attack boost or something more 'Khorny'. 

Well. It's a mockery of Khorne, not the real "power" of Khorne. The theme is more : You "call in" the blood blinded khorne zealots to use them as meat-shield.

Morkanaut Rekuperator : You don't pay for the attachment, right? Really like the theme of ork magik, everything works, if you just believe it will. probably add "once per phase", even if it isn't that orky.

Correct, you don't pay for the attachment. And yes, it's because we love the "ork magik" theme at team Apoka. You believe it works, it's gonna work. :)
The once per phase wasn't needed during tests. Battles in Conquest are often super short, and a Rally 6 can miss.

Planets are well designed, about time to rotate.
Erida: can only sac 1 unit, right?

Correct.

Jaricho: the commit is weak sauce, how about: reveal all but three cards from your hand.

Well. At least it is not negative as some planets are. ;)

Nectavus: seems complicated. How about battle: gain 1C/1R.

It depends. If your opponent has a Scrap Nabba, it's more cash. It's not always 1C/1R.

Excellor: add target units, since moving is often worse than routing, which the current planet does.

We'll double check if this is the intended design. But it's fairly possible that it's the case (no target).

Navida Prime: kinda boring design, most of the times it does nothing good, and the rest of the times, it will be used to the same effect over and over.

Play it a bit. ^^

Kunarog: add 'or destroy 2 token units at a non-first planet', to make it more even for the different factions.

We can add this. But I'm just wondering, from your comment, it looks like you think it's not even for every faction. You can place any token you like, whatever the faction you currently play. (you can take 2 khymera while playing Orks)

Ironforge: Don't like the bookeeping. Would like a battle (or commit) that destroys supports or attachments instead.

Note that the "move to HQ" isn't mandatory. You "may" move a unit.

• bolomolo, Rinabros and Blackwhyn like this

Eu8L1ch

Eu8L1ch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

It seems powerful. It has been carefully designed in collaboration with Eulich. He may come here to answer a bit himself, but I have worked with him for hours, so I can already tell he'll answer : "Anything compared to Noise Marine Zealots seems crazy." ^^

Ktoto has the right of it, that is indeed my answer.

When you design cards the benchmark should be represented by the cards that see play and are considered useful, not those that nobody plays.

Is the card strong? Sure. Is it overpowered? I don't think so. A 3/3 for 3 with command should not be considered the norm anymore; in fact, it should've stopped being considered the norm quite a long time ago - since Warlock Destructor, 2-cost warlord groupies and their pals were printed. Is this powercreep? Sure, but it's not us who started it. Designing 3 costs with core set cards in mind and 2-costers and the rest comparing them to recent cards is only going to lead 3-costers to not see play anymore. If that sounds familiar to you, you've got your answer. :D

As for the rest, I think ktoto's answers are spot on.

Thanks for the feedback, always appreciated!

• Rinabros and JeffS like this

TeamApoka

TeamApoka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

High-res and proxies are online:

http://apoka.mozello.com/

Yuanti

Yuanti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Typo: Expandable pawn --> expendable pawn.

TeamApoka

TeamApoka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Typo: Expandable pawn --> expendable pawn.

Thx! Yes, it has been fixed.