Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Iron Bank and "move X gold" abilities

- - - - -

Best Answer colonialbob , 06 December 2017 - 12:53 AM

Turns out the answer is yes.

The term “spend” is ill-defined in the RRG. After some consideration, we’ve decided to rule that it refers to any ability that allows a player to choose to pay gold or move gold from his or her gold pool. This includes paying costs and moving gold for bestow.

[Danny Schaefer, 5.12.2017]

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

ystros

ystros

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The RRG only has one mention of the word "spend":
> When a player spends gold to marshal a card or pay for an ability, that gold is returned to the treasury.

For The Iron Bank, what usages of gold count as spending? It seems clear that things like marshaling cards or playing events would count as spending, as the gold returns to the treasury.

What about abilities that move gold from the gold pool to a card? Can the gold on the Iron Bank be used for this? Some examples:
* Bestow ("... move up to X gold from your gold pool to this card")
* Red Cloaks
* Lannisport Treasury - edit: wouldn't apply since gold is moved onto it in taxation, not marshalling
etc

I suspect the answer is yes, but would like clarification.

Khudzlin

Khudzlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1016 posts

I'd say no. Moving gold around is not spending it.

• mplain likes this

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

I'd say no. Moving gold around is not spending it.

We have a ruling in L5R saying this directly.

Khudzlin

Khudzlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1016 posts

We have a ruling in L5R saying this directly.

But it's a different game and rules sometimes differ (for instance, when a card is considered to be played).

colonialbob

colonialbob

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I have a question awaiting a response from Danny for this. I would rule no unless we hear otherwise.

ystros

ystros

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone! You're probably right that the answer is no, just seemed weird that the ability would be incompatible with Bestow.

Looking forward to what Danny says.

colonialbob

colonialbob

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
✓  Best Answer

Turns out the answer is yes.

The term “spend” is ill-defined in the RRG. After some consideration, we’ve decided to rule that it refers to any ability that allows a player to choose to pay gold or move gold from his or her gold pool. This includes paying costs and moving gold for bestow.

[Danny Schaefer, 5.12.2017]

• gramyotron and ystros like this