Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Post-Apocalyptic Thread: We will rebuild

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

Kryptofis

Kryptofis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Agreed, if it can be done, this opens up a whole new world. This should be absolutely prio 1 for the new SWLCG Council. 

• DarthCusm likes this

DarthCusm

DarthCusm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

I know it's reaching, but tablet support should be on the list for things to do for any software. I would love to play on my tablet as I am on it a much more than my PC.

• mischraum and ColdFusion71 like this

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3900 posts

I know it's reaching, but tablet support should be on the list for things to do for any software. I would love to play on my tablet as I am on it a much more than my PC.

Does jinteki work on tablets?

Overall, I think we'd all agree that we want the best platform we can and I'm sure that the community has the skills to make it happen.
  • DarthCusm likes this

MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1623 posts

It does work on tablets. For those curious, Jinteki is written in Clojure, and the data for the cards are JSON files. If there is someone in the community that has or wants some experience with these, let me know. I can help build the data files and can also help with any API we would want to use (assuming we would to reduce the duplication of effort with a deck builder).

• DarthCusm likes this

Caal

Caal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
I’m basically with Donovan but feel we need 2 Euro representative

dbmeboy (Rules)
Fullyops (UK)
GreedoShotFirst (Texas)
Jarratt (Southern Hemisphere)
medfreeman (France)
Kiramode (West Coast)
Rio (Great Lakes)
Macrauri (MN spot)
Yodaman (cause You’re da man, man!)
  • Rio, kiramode, DonovanM and 1 other like this

GreedoShotFirst

GreedoShotFirst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Only a few days left.

Get your votes in now.

• Rio and yodaman like this

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2209 posts

Only a few days left.

Get your votes in now.

I'm soooo excited!

tsgstarwars

tsgstarwars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

It does work on tablets. For those curious, Jinteki is written in Clojure, and the data for the cards are JSON files. If there is someone in the community that has or wants some experience with these, let me know. I can help build the data files and can also help with any API we would want to use (assuming we would to reduce the duplication of effort with a deck builder).

It *sometimes* works on tablets; some workarounds are often required. I know someone who plays Teki on an iPad, and it's a pain (IIRC they can't discard properly or something?) but doable

IAmBatman

IAmBatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Thanks for the nominations, but I don't think I would be able to dedicate the amount of time that I'd want/need to put into this, if I was on the committee. I plan to be involved somehow though.

Here's my vote with some backups already listed. Didn't fit as many non-US people in as I would have liked.

dbmeboy (Rules)
Fullyops/DarthBS/medfreeman (Europe Spot)
GreedoShotFirst (Texas)
Jarratt (Southern Hemisphere)
JackofHearts/CoDameron/Haxxson (NYC spot)
Kiramode (West Coast)
Letux/Revanari/Rio (Great Lakes)
Macrauri/IamBatman (MN spot)
Yodaman

Thanks for the vote! Someone knows me, lol!
  • Revanari, yodaman, sdrewthomson and 2 others like this

Revanari

Revanari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Letux 

Macrauri

FullyOps

DonovanM

Dbmeboy

Greedoshotfirst

Goldleader (runs the Chicago scene; previous experience designing Star Wars card games)

Normanh

I'd also vote for Kiramode, but first, I would want some sort of campaign promise to minimize game-ending infinite combos.  He plays a great game, and I don't mind big combos that blow up lots of units/objectives.  That being said, I would not want to see purposefully designed infinite-draw type combos included in future sets.   

• Rio, yodaman and normanh like this

normanh

normanh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Letux 

Macrauri

FullyOps

DonovanM

Dbmeboy

Greedoshotfirst

Goldleader (runs the Chicago scene; previous experience designing Star Wars card games)

Normanh

I'd also vote for Kiramode, but first, I would want some sort of campaign promise to minimize game-ending infinite combos.  He plays a great game, and I don't mind big combos that blow up lots of units/objectives.  That being said, I would not want to see purposefully designed infinite-draw type combos included in future sets.   

I am honored to be included in the esteemed Revanari/Ferraro list. 

Additionally, I find his request of Kiramode for a campaign promise to be quite reasonable. ;-)

mindlessphilosopher

mindlessphilosopher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

I'd like to echo that sentiment, if I may.  Infinite combos are the kind of thing that makes me occasionally leave all tabletop gaming.  There are times when I don't see very much difference between 'innovative ways to win' and 'being a tool.'

• Rio likes this

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3900 posts

I have an idea for how to change Leia to remove all the infinite combos.  Once things are finalized, I'll pitch it to the council to see what they think.

I don't actually think the existence of infinite combos is always a negative thing *if* they are sufficiently difficult to set up and allow for appropriate interaction to prevent them from setting up.  That's easier to do in M:tG though, where you play 3 games in a round and get to side-board up to 25% of your deck between games.

Caal

Caal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
« Limit 1 per turn » does the trick, doesn’t it?

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3900 posts

« Limit 1 per turn » does the trick, doesn’t it?

Hey! No stealing my ideas! ;-)

But yes, that stops all infinite loops relying on Leia while still leaving her able to do her thing.

DarthCusm

DarthCusm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

I know the worst FFG game for "innovative ways to win" is X-Wing and it is usually due to poor play testing, a ship will come out and 3 days later a combo will be put together that truly is OP to the point that certain ships have had 3-4 erratas with eventual rewording of the entire ship. If that stuff can slip through with their premiere game, I am super impressed it does not occur more in this game.

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2209 posts

I'd like to echo that sentiment, if I may.  Infinite combos are the kind of thing that makes me occasionally leave all tabletop gaming.  There are times when I don't see very much difference between 'innovative ways to win' and 'being a tool.'

It's because there is no difference.
  • Rio and mindlessphilosopher like this

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

I know the worst FFG game for "innovative ways to win" is X-Wing and it is usually due to poor play testing, a ship will come out and 3 days later a combo will be put together that truly is OP to the point that certain ships have had 3-4 erratas with eventual rewording of the entire ship. If that stuff can slip through with their premiere game, I am super impressed it does not occur more in this game.

It is all over this game. This entire game is about putting together set combinations that basically break things.

Infinite combos aren’t really the problem. Combos in X-Wing aren’t the problem. The problem is creating an environment where the game isn’t fun to play anymore.

If anything that is the biggest flaw in the design and development of this game. Through a tier 1 deck va a tier 1 deck with equal players and you get a good game but a tier 1 deck will just stomp anything not tier 1. We are fooling ourselves if we think there is a large number of tier 1 decks or deck archetypes. If anything the new affiliation cards had narrowed the field completely by creating effiiency through deck building limitations.

There is a reason most people want something done to MYFBWY and that’s because it makes everything better. But the other side of the argument is that without it the DS will run rampant.

X-Wing definitely has some problems. A large pool of ships and upgrades, each new ship being power creeped forward, and way too many ships that can take too many upgrade cards. The problem of course is when the combinations create a degenerate unfun game experience, regardless of whether the outcome is a forgone conclusion or not.

In both instances I feel like the fault falls with the number of developers. X-Wing has 1-2 at any time and LCG had 1. It’s nust not enough counterpoint.

My hope is that a council of 7-9 can discuss and evaluate old cards and combinations intellectually in a way that creates a more balanced and nuanced game, and that if new sets are accepted by the council that they are approved on similar grounds.

A quick note on Leia (because I dig that set a lot), she has always been broken. That ability is insane. Eventually the right sets were going to come out that just turn her into a monster, and the old sets that stopped her cold hot cycled out of the meta due to power creep on both sides.

This game is great but it’s not perfect and it suffers from many of the same imperfections as X-Wing.
  • doctormungmung, Rio, yodaman and 2 others like this

scwont

scwont

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

I hate playing against infinite combos as well, but I do respect the time and skill required to come up with them when they're complex, and I don't begrudge the creator of such a combo taking it to a tournament - at least the first time ;) Most players at the tournament will only have to face it once, if at all. It's when it's out in the wild and becomes more prevalent that the fun-killing factor becomes a real issue.

• DarthCusm likes this

Frtn

Frtn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

I also wouldn't say that currently known infinite combos are any problematic.

I mean, if they pull off somehow it is very cool, but very often one technical set in opponent deck, just in case and combo is dead.

Plus, they are not very practical in my opinion.

Instead of errating and similiar staff that cuts off options, maybe good route would be to include some kind of sideboard sets?

Like for example, 1 or maximum 2 objecitve sets that you choose before tournament starts, and during the whole tournament you are allowed to exchange them just for once.

Or anything, many options are there.

Edit: 
Plus, most important thing in my opinion, Do not decrease card potential, guys.
     Instead of errating them to limit their potential, focus on completely useless objective sets and change them, so they are not only playable but viable(maybe restricted) exchanges for these "problematic sets/cards". Or simply in the way that they (these useless) will counter them(These problematic) : )