Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Custom Cycle: The Old Republic

- - - - - custom swtor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

tsgstarwars

tsgstarwars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
(Yes; this is a re-post. I'd rather just start a new thread than necro'ing the incredibly old one)

This cycle has been a project long in the making, and I'm really, really happy it's finally done. It's a cycle of my own design, all rights belong to Fantasy Flight Games/Lucasfilm (now disney), and I'll take this down if nessesary. Hopefully not, though   :) 

One of the new mechanics I've introduced is dual-faction objective sets. These sets contain objectives from 2 different factions, and also have cards that differ between each individual number. There are 2 seperate versions of that card: for example (4 of 6) and (4 of 6(2) ). When playing both copies of this objective set, 1 copy of (4 of 6) and 1 copy of (4 of 6(2) are included). If playing only 1 copy, a player must play either the (2) version of all of the cards that differ or the version of all of the cards that differ without this marking.

I picked the Old Republic era because I'm a massive fan of that time period, there's lots of interesting characters for every faction (well, pretty close. Rebel Alliance got characters from the Republic, because the Alliance to restore the Republic and the original Republic are close enough), and because it's quite simply an awesome time period! There's so much going on and so many new things to explore. 

My inspiration mainly came from the Old Republic Novels, The Old Republic MMO, Knights of the Old Republic and the Darth Bane Trilogy. There's a few that snuck in from the Old Republic comics too  :)  (Zayne/Demagol/Comics era Carth). KOTOR and KOTOR II are also getting a big-box to fill in some of the characters that got missed, which is currently in progress

I finally got around to making the print sheets for my custom cycle, and thought I'd post them here. The linked folder contains both the pack images (useless, but they were fun to make) and the sheets with all the cards on them (most definitely not useless  :) )

https://drive.google...dxijrHpx8Jr1RL1

Given that more official FFG content no longer exists,( :() hopefully people might enjoy this as an unofficial continuation of the game we all love.

Comments/Balance suggestions/etc. are always welcome!

Few notes:

Sabine and Revan restricted (probably a balance problem, but up for debate. More just for flavor reasons; I am NOT having Revan become a better leader because you painted someone)
HK-47 can be played in either a Light Side or Dark side deck

• Muddervader likes this

tsgstarwars

tsgstarwars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Flavour Inserts:

Flavour Inserts:

Alchemy and Insanity

Almost 4000 years before the Galactic Civil War and the Battle of Yavin, the Mandalorian Wars rage across the Galaxy. The Mandalorians, a warlike and deadly force, rose from the ashes of their defeat by the Republic during the Great Sith War when they fought alongside Exar Kun and Ulic-Qel-Droma, and are devastating outer rim worlds. Under the leadership of Mandalore the Ultimate (Te Ani'la Mand'alor), the Mandalorians capture key Republic worlds such as Taris and Onderon and begin to push towards core worlds such as Corellia and Coruscant. Caught in this war is Carth Onasi and Zayne Carrick, the former a Republic Pilot and Officer, and the latter a failed Jedi Padawan whose class was murdered by their masters due to a vision of one of them turning to the dark side. Zayne falls in with Jarael and Gryph to escape Taris and eventually clears his name, in the process taking down the secretive organization known as the Jedi Covenant. Carth Onasi would later serve alongside the Reborn Revan after his memory was wiped by the Jedi council.

A bold Jedi willing to disobey the council's stance of inaction, taking the name Revan, takes command of the Republic forces and is able to turn the tide through brilliant tactics and leadership, and the Mandalorians are eventually defeated over Malachor V. But this entire war has been orchestrated from the start by a secret manipulator. The Sith Emperor, who is the leader of the hidden Sith Empire, secretly used his mastery of the dark side to convince the Mandalorians to rise up and attack the Republic both to weaken the Republic and to feed on the chaos and destruction rippling through the force. Revan lead a force of Jedi and Republic out into the unknown regions in search of this threat, but was subsequently corrupted by the Sith Emperor and returned at the head of a massive army to conquer the Republic.

Revan would later be captured by the Jedi council, who would wipe his memories and train him to fight alongside the Republic against the empire he had created. However, his memories returned along the course of his journey, and he chose to remain serving the Light Side and defeated his former pupil, Darth Malak (formerly known as Alek during the Mandalorian Wars). However, his memory of a threat beyond the known Galaxy's edge returned, and along with Meetra Surik, he journeyed out into the unknown regions once again to challenge the Sith Emperor. He was once again defeated, though through Scourge's betrayal, and held imprisoned for 300 years by the Emperor. The Emperor linked his mind with Revan's to give himself a connection to the Light Side and the visions it held, but this allowed Revan a connection into the Emperor's mind as well, and he urged caution and inaction, amplifying the Emperor's already considerable paranoia. The Emperor created a series of servants whom he implanted a direct link to, as well as imbuing them with his power. These Servants would prove dangerous enemies to the Republic in the Great Galactic War 300 years after the Mandalorian Wars.

But Revan amassed his own reputation and following for his use of both the Light and Dark sides of the force, and a secret organization known as The Order of Revan would spring up within the Sith Empire...

Fatal Alliance

Mandalorian Leader and scientist Demagol probes into the mysteries of the force, attempting to discover the secret behind the Jedi Order's unnatural power. His name will become infamous within the Mandalorian culture and language itself, and a derivative of his name, Demalgolka, becomes the term for someone who commits atrocities during wartime.

Assassin droid HK-47 builds his own infamous reputation, through both his mocking tone and deadly capabilities. He serves under both Revan and Meetra Surik, and is later rebuilt by Revan during the Great Galactic War to serve him and the Revanchists.

300 years after the Mandalorian wars, the Sith Emperor Vitiate begins the conquest of the known galaxy and the Republic, starting the Great Galactic War. But during this conflict, a far greater threat emerges. Lema Xandret, a droid-maker who fled from the Sith Empire, creates the near-indestructible droids that come to be known as Hexes. Their tactics and ability to replecate via droid nests proves them a deadly threat that could threaten to destroy both the Republic and Sith Empire. With both the Republic and Empire investigating this deadly threat, heroes and villains such as Shigar Konshi, Larin Moxla, Jet Nebula, and Ula Vii must work together to stop this deadly threat.

And centuries after the crumble of the Sith Empire and Vitiate's fall, a Sith Lord known as Darth Bane reinstitutes the Rule of 2 from Darth Revan's time as a method to preserve the concentration of dark side energy fully. "Two there must be, one to embody the power, the other to crave it." He destroys the Brotherhood of Darkness and begins the lineage that will result in Darth Sidious' rise to power.\

Honour and Betrayal

Over 300 years after the Mandalorian wars, Revan’s Sith Empire, and the Dark Wars against the Sith Triumvirate, war once more rages across the galaxy. The Sith Lord Darth Vitiate emerges from hiding and leads the Sith Empire against the fragile Galactic Republic, bringing them to the edge of defeat in the Battle of Coruscant. However, with the signing of the treaty of Coruscant, a uneasy peace ensues, beginning the Cold War.During this cold war, numerous key figures rise to significance from humble origins.

The 3rd Barsen’thor of the Jedi Order saves countless Jedi and stops the plague of Terrak Morrage through an ancient Shielding technique taught to them by one of the most revered masters of the order. This Jedi would later go on to lead the Rift Alliance against the Empire and root out the Children of the Emperor, who threatened to destroy the Republic from within. The Barsen’thor eventually joins the Jedi council and is proclaimed the Warden of the Order. A Republic trooper rising from humble origins known only by the callsign Meteor reforms the elite Republic unit of Havoc Squad after its commanding officer, Harron Tavus, defects to the Sith Empire. Havoc squad goes on to hunt down the traitors to the Republic who defected, destroy the superweapon known as “The Gauntlet”, and take down the key Imperial General Arkous Rakton. A smuggler known as The Voidhound also plays a key part in the conflict; taking control of a group of underworld mercenaries after defeating the Voidwolf that were going to be used against the Republic.

But enemies of the Republic also rise. A force sensitive slave within the Sith Emprie rises to amass as much power as possible for themselves. After being betrayed by both their master, Darth Zash, and nearly being murdered by the dark council member Darth Thanaton, the Sith learns an ancient Sith Ritual (Force Walk) to bind powerful Sith spirits to themselves to increase their power. After amassing a significant power base, such as The Cult of the Screaming Blade on Nar Shadaa and corrupting the Jedi Apprentice Ashara Zavros, they challenge and defeat Darth Thanaton, taking his place on the Dark council and assuming the name of Darth Nox.

On The Smuggler’s Moon of Nar Shaadaa, lawlessness and anarchy rains. The fringe associate of Cipher 9, Kaliyo Djannis, works for the empire as long as she’s paid well, while Watcher X, a former agent of Imperial Intelligence who was removed from service due to paranoia, plots his escape with the aid of Cipher 9 in exchange for classified information and assistance in shutting down the production of Cyclone, a deadly stimulant being used by the enemies of the Empire.

I'll put the other 3 up when I have time to write them  :)

gmeista

gmeista

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Thank you for this. Definitely going to print these and play with them sometime.

Are there any restrictions with these and the current card pool? All the cards seem very strong how is the balancing compared to old pool? Either way they look fun so will definitely try it.

Legion5o1

Legion5o1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

the only thing i would change are the text font. it dosent look like the one from FFG at all.

tsgstarwars

tsgstarwars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Thank you for this. Definitely going to print these and play with them sometime.

Are there any restrictions with these and the current card pool? All the cards seem very strong how is the balancing compared to old pool? Either way they look fun so will definitely try it.

Glad you like them  :)

They've seemed slightly under-powered (especially the last pack) on average, if anything, with a few exceptions that were a problem that have mostly been fixed.

There's a few primary archetypes that I pushed during the cycle, but all of them are fairly counter-able, and none of the sets have really stood out as being excessively powerful in play-testing; at least nothing compared to the staples of the current meta (MTFBWY, etc.) I'm curious; which ones looked like they might be pushing the power budget?

I'm tentatively restricting Explosives Artist and A Hero Returns; because Paint Job + Revan might be a problem. The only other one I can think of is Tarkin Doctrine + Alchemy and Insanity if you can use Tarkin's blank to dodge the self destroy ability, but I don't even know if that's that powerful.

Edit: There might be problems with the new affiliations (7 reserve) and some of the dual-faction sets; I'm not entirely sure how that'd work and/or if that should end up being restricted.

tsgstarwars

tsgstarwars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

the only thing i would change are the text font. it dosent look like the one from FFG at all

Fair enough  :) . The image editor I used when I started didn't support uploading fonts when I started, so I couldn't put the real font in. I debated trying to learn a different editor, but decided against it; it was also good because it means that there's no chance of people confusing them with real cards if they're found floating around the internet. The program later added the functionality, but I decided it was better to stick with the same font for consistency. The font's also grown on me  :) .

If I ever go back and re-make everything (to fix all the set numbers and/or errata) via the Strange Eons plugin or something I've heard about I'll re-do it in the right font

Gamer257

Gamer257

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Well done!

EdTheMad

EdTheMad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Where can I find SW LCG card templates for custom cards?

I have the PSDs and Strang Eons templates for LOTR LCG. But for the love of the force i cant find for SW LCG!

I see there is some custom cards threads, but still no clue where i can find the card templates they use to make the cards D=

Can you please help me?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: custom, swtor