Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DLotS Vader, Hera, MtFBWY Yoda - Framework Effects

Best Answer dbmeboy , 24 January 2018 - 10:13 PM

More properly, those cards have constant effects that are card effects granting the combat icons.

*Resolving* the combat icons as part of the strike resolution is a framework effect. It is indeed both players responsibility to make sure icons are resolved appropriately. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

punkeedo

punkeedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

There are several cards like those listed in the Thread title with card effects that seem to generate framework effects.  For example with DLotS Vader:

"This unit gains [Unit Damage] while your opponent has 2 or more exhausted units."

Or to give another example, Hera:

"Each other friendly Specter and neutral unit gains [Unit Damage]."

These phrases are card effects, per FAQ 4.4-4.5.  However, the result of these card effects seems to be, in my reading, creating a new Framework effect (in these cases additional combat icons) since they are not Actions, Reactions, or Interrupts.

My question:

In a tournament setting, is it the responsibility of both players to ensure that these new framework effects are played out?  Rulebook pg. 30 says that "Framework events are mandatory occurrences dictated by the structure of the game," including the resolution of strikes (Rules pg. 31).

An example:

Hera is on the LS board.  Luke's Speeder Bike, a neutral unit, is focused to strike, but the LS player forgets to apply the black unit damage.  Is it the responsibility of the DS play to call this to his opponent's attention?

• Timothywed and JerryBaf like this

DarthCusm

DarthCusm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

If I catch it I remind of all actions, not doing that I feel is a d!ck move. This isn't a MTG tournament with a 4 figure payout, this is a game with a couple pieces of paper and plastic for prizes. In this and many other games I forget certain interactions, it's being human. In your example it is definitely up to both players.

TheNameWasTaken

TheNameWasTaken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

They're constant effects, not framework effects, so you might want to check for that term.

That said, maintaining correct game state is the responsibility of both players, and not resolving a combat icon leads to incorrect game state (because resolving icons is mandatory). So yes, do remind your opponent about these things.

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3858 posts
✓  Best Answer
More properly, those cards have constant effects that are card effects granting the combat icons.

*Resolving* the combat icons as part of the strike resolution is a framework effect. It is indeed both players responsibility to make sure icons are resolved appropriately.