Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fan Expansion Preview

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2090 posts
Haha - no worries. I'm just kidding with you ;)

Seems strong? For each card or card type? I read that as attaching your entire discard pile to your domains as a resource, is that correct? That seems incredibly powerful.
  • MagnusArcanis and Jordannub like this

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Haha - no worries. I'm just kidding with you ;)

Seems strong? For each card or card type? I read that as attaching your entire discard pile to your domains as a resource, is that correct? That seems incredibly powerful.

You are correct on all accounts. And it CAN be strong, but will you adjust your deck to take advantage? Or to avoid the disadvantage of losing one's discard pile? 

Muwhahaha.

• Skelton likes this

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Just to make up for last week as well. Double preview. :)

23-_Lodge_Agent.png

• Skelton and blinovitch like this

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2090 posts
These are coming along nicely. How many cards have you got worked out now? It must be quite a few. I'm still looking forward to getting my hands on some new cards. I managed to get a few local MTG players to try the game and they were impressed. Just a shame it's so hard to source cards these days.

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

12 story cards and a 14 player cards. Mathing it to 54 for easier printing. The biggest slowdown is building blank templates and finding good art. 

• Skelton likes this

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2090 posts
Ahem.

It's my birthday today (26th).

How about an extra preview? ;)
  • MagnusArcanis likes this

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Ahem.

It's my birthday today (26th).

How about an extra preview? ;)

Sure! Happy Birthday. :)

14-_Danny_Obannion.png

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2090 posts
Oh hell yes. One of my favourite tactions to boot. I love this guy.

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Been a bit, but here's another story card. :) 

8-2.png

• Skelton likes this

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2090 posts
Nice little bit of deck fixing. Pretty cool card.

jc1138

jc1138

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but "the Politician" is a good title for Charlie Kane because the character is clearly a riff on Charles Foster Kane, the main character played by Orson Wells in the film Citizen Kane.  He is a very rich man who mostly controls a media empire, but runs for public office in the film as well.

Anyway, thanks for the additional content!

asmZERO

asmZERO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Bust of Hypnos not having a steadfast cost might pose a problem.  I'm not sure how useful shuffling your discard into your deck is but it certainly shuts down mill.  At no cost beyond the card slot in your deck. Is that costly enough for most builds?  I think Black Dog being free caused a bit of a problem didn't it?  What do you think? Maybe having a single Yog or Hastur icon as a steadfast?  I'm not sure.

asmZERO

asmZERO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Does this effect replace your draw?  Meaning you either draw two cards OR search your deck for one criminal or tactic card?

Sure! Happy Birthday. :)

14-_Danny_Obannion.png

asmZERO

asmZERO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Seems like this has been abandoned.  That's too bad.  The google group also has no activity.

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Seems like this has been abandoned.  That's too bad.  The google group also has no activity.

Incorrect. Not abandoned. Just in a slow down. Ran into some trouble with the shub card graphics. Its not turning out well. That and have been busy with other things. 

As for Bust, its a silver bullet card. Kind of like Snow Graves. It exists as a tool should the meta need it, but is otherwise often ignored. Granted, being an artifact gives it some additional options, but don't believe it will do anything to crazy. 

For O'Bannion, intent is to replace all the cards that would be drawn for one search. 

In addition, Black Dog wasn't an issue. Some saw it that way, but they failed to realize all the benefits it added to the game. If only I was good enough to make a card as good as Black Dog. lol

• Skelton and asmZERO like this

asmZERO

asmZERO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Good to hear this is still going.  Card art could always be sourced after the initial designs are done.

I never played competitively so only read what was talked about on the forums relating to Black Dog.

O'Bannion granting one search is perfect.  I assumed that was your intent.

Let me know if there's anything you'd like me (or others) to do to help move this forward.

Do you know what the status is of the google group that was set up to achieve the same goal?  I think the primary on that was someone else IIRC.

Regards,

Andrew

Incorrect. Not abandoned. Just in a slow down. Ran into some trouble with the shub card graphics. Its not turning out well. That and have been busy with other things. 

As for Bust, its a silver bullet card. Kind of like Snow Graves. It exists as a tool should the meta need it, but is otherwise often ignored. Granted, being an artifact gives it some additional options, but don't believe it will do anything to crazy. 

For O'Bannion, intent is to replace all the cards that would be drawn for one search. 

In addition, Black Dog wasn't an issue. Some saw it that way, but they failed to realize all the benefits it added to the game. If only I was good enough to make a card as good as Black Dog. lol

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Good to hear this is still going.  Card art could always be sourced after the initial designs are done.

I never played competitively so only read what was talked about on the forums relating to Black Dog.

O'Bannion granting one search is perfect.  I assumed that was your intent.

Let me know if there's anything you'd like me (or others) to do to help move this forward.

Do you know what the status is of the google group that was set up to achieve the same goal?  I think the primary on that was someone else IIRC.

Regards,

Andrew

There was a google group way back that I tried to start, ultimately that ended as I passed it off to another. That was mostly organized via a forum, but that believe that ultimately ended up halting as well. However, with the origins event getting enough attendance I decided to pick things back up again. Still doing this in my free time, but with fewer projects on the table. I'm in a better position to actually finish things this time around. ;)

As for things people can do. The biggest thing is making blank templates that I can use to build cards. They're not finished by any means (even the ones I have finished need some tweaking for in the Copyright department). I've been using/learning the software called GIMP to create the templates since its free. Once the templates are finished making new cards is a snap. 

The second biggest thing is double checking my work. That includes proof reading, making suggestions on changes, and certainly... playtesting them. While I think I have pretty good handle on what can break the game and do my best to curb those situations. I am unfortunately still human and can make errors. So the more eyes and minds the better in my opinion. 

For anyone wishing to assist. I've posted the files I've been working off of to the following drive. 

https://drive.google...Z7y-yyY9tkEd1UQ

With that out of the way. Here is another preview!

18-House-of-Hanon-Dor.png

The template on this one took me forever. Turns out there isn't really a good shub card to use a base. Never could really get that watermark icon behind the text to behave. So this is the best I can do at my current skill level. 

As for thoughts behind its design. My goals for this set was to fill some holes for the factions/game. Giving them things that they and/or the game needed. Shub, imo didn't really need anything. Their biggest hole was in the investigation department, but it didn't feel right giving them access to the icon in some form. So, I went the opposite direction and giving players a tool in which to give their opponent a "push your luck" scenario. Add in all the other throw backs and flavor points.. card feels like it fits.

Granted, I don't expect this to be an major competitive card, but should your/the meta be overrun by investigation struggles the House is there to act as a counterbalance.  

Update:

Stay Tuned. Got pretty far this weekend and only have 3 more cards to create! So I'm going to be rapid firing some previews here as I put on some final touches. My goal is to have these completed, and printable before the end of the year. If all goes according to plan, I hope to have a "release date" of Jan 1 2019. 

The biggest hurdle is the art for one of my story cards. Which also happens to be my 2015 worlds prize. It just made a lot of sense to include it in this pack. I'll be reaching out to FFG tomorrow to see if I can get an update. 

• asmZERO likes this

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2090 posts
The card doesn't appear for me. Glad to see things are still in motion though. :)

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

The card doesn't appear for me. Glad to see things are still in motion though. :)

Weird. It was there last night. Grr. I'll fix it when I get home. 

Till then. Enjoy this. :)

14-Steve-Clarney.png

Addressing a few issues with this card. 1. Steve was always meant to be a Miskatonic character. 2. MU doesn't have much for support removal and what it does have isn't super good. Not trying to buck that tradition, so this temporary removal effect seemed perfect. 

Add a strong body and some good traits and MU should have quite the useful tool for their tool box. 

• Skelton and asmZERO like this

blinovitch

blinovitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Ha, Steve taking a turn as visiting lecturer for the university is long overdue.