Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Underhand of the Emperor

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

Scorpion clan pack next.

https://www.fantasyf...of-the-emperor/

Shocked it wasn't Unicorn. Even with design lags, Unicorn clearly the weakest since Core.

Asymmetric Clan Packs. You gotta love FFG's refined sense of fairness and balance.

October 2018 launch. When does Elemental Cycle's 6 in 6 end? Maybe we will get Restricted List updates during the droughts to shake up the meta.

• Grimbo likes this

SlaaneshDevotee

SlaaneshDevotee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
I laughed so long and loud when I read this.

Welp, I had already decided not to buy anything until I saw how things were after the elemental cycle, now I might wait longer.
  • Stefan2581 and Antaiseito like this

phillosmaster

phillosmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Crab won the last Kotei.  Also the restricted list does slap the dominant Scorpion builds in the face.  This comes out after the next 6 in 6 cycle so we'll probably be sitting in a completely different meta at that point.

That said yeah I'm disappointed it wasn't Unicorn or Lion next to give those guys a boost.  I'm guessing that's because these products needed to be in the works well before the Scorpion dominant meta was established.  They are committed to releasing these packs alongside the novellas which is great for those of us that love the story and game equally.  It can be problematic if they are trying to manage the competitive scene.  We have the restricted list now at least so hopefully they are diligent about updating that list.  In Netrunner their lists have been pretty dynamic so that's encouraging.

• Caldera and Stefan2581 like this

Grimbo

Grimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
I believe the 6 in 6 would end the first week of august. So 9-12 weeks before Scorp pack.

Grimbo

Grimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
Akodo Kage looks utterly amazing.

OutOfFactionWarlord

OutOfFactionWarlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

I laughed so long and loud when I read this.

Welp, I had already decided not to buy anything until I saw how things were after the elemental cycle, now I might wait longer.

Would you be able to explain your reasoning to me?

"I'm not buying anything, because they are making new cards and adding them to the game."

You know they develop these things _way_ in advance of any results.  You also know that Scorpion are much less dominant now that people are playing against them effectively, and the restricted list changes the game very very significantly.

SlaaneshDevotee

SlaaneshDevotee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Yup, its a final straw sort of thing:

I wanted to play an LCG, the monthly releases help keep me connected and interested with the local playgroups.
- 6 in 6 again.

I wanted to take part in a fun online community, as I had found in LCGs previously.
- Community is opaque in Discord, lack of regular updates means articles/podcasts get a bit dry.

I wanted to play online because I don't get to play otherwise a lot
- The only organised online games have no incentive for players to match my timezone, everyone prefers the browser platform that I find way restrictive and annoying.

And now there's another big gap, and they are adding to a (perceived) "overpowered" clan rather then something else. I have no problem with the clan pack formats or delivery, but this is clearly a poor perception choice. I also understand that planning starts really early and so these things may have been hard to shift!

I just have to start questioning what I am getting out of this game. So, I will wait until after the Cycle and probably clan pack to see if at the very least the local real-life players stick it out and are fun. In the meantime, I've bought a few really cool boardgames that my family and friends might play, and Conquest has still got a few players, so...

• Stefan2581, Antaiseito and AriceJ like this

BaraBob

BaraBob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

I have a feeling that the sensible thing will be to skip the game for a couple of cycles and then see where the card pool takes us. Originally I was quite keen on the 6 by 6 system, but now I'm realising I won't be bothered to even look at the cards until the full cycle is out.

• Grimbo likes this

Grimbo

Grimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

I have a feeling that the sensible thing will be to skip the game for a couple of cycles and then see where the card pool takes us. Originally I was quite keen on the 6 by 6 system, but now I'm realising I won't be bothered to even look at the cards until the full cycle is out.

This has merit, but as it is currently my only card game, I can suffer it. I did not skip cycles, but I did skip months of play. And that was refreshing.

Post this upcoming cycle + the Scorpion pack looks like an utterly dead time(plus Holidays). Assuming another 6 in 6 in January, another break is forthcoming.

The last 6in6 started like the first week of November. This one starts the last week of June. Assuming 7 1/2 to 8 months between the first pack of cycles...yeah it's gonna be a minute.

• SlaaneshDevotee likes this

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Honestly, I tried to do that for AGOT2, thinking "I'll just step out til they get Valar Morghulis back". Valar Morghulis came back, and I found the community's entire vocabulary about the game had changed, as had all the assumptions of deckbuilding, the strengths of the various clans and so on.

Even for me, it was too overwhelming, so I never bothered rejoining the scene properly.

I think even if you opt out of buying for a cycle you'll need to stay in the conversation to keep up with the game, otherwise it'll be too hard to get back in later.

• Caldera and Grimbo like this

SlaaneshDevotee

SlaaneshDevotee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
I conceded mid game for the first time last night...

In my defense, we had been playing for about 45 minutes, and the scorpion player had only spent money on defense so I’d broken one province. But they had also not really attacked, and might have broken 2 of mine.

I just cannot deal with how slow this game can be if you want to just sit back.

NuFenix

NuFenix

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

In my defense, we had been playing for about 45 minutes, and the scorpion player had only spent money on defense so I’d broken one province. But they had also not really attacked, and might have broken 2 of mine.

Were you playing to tournament time? As if they can starve you out and then secure the win, it's a valid tactic. But if you were playing casually, it's not fair and a terrible way to practice, as they won't have all the time in the world.

Were they trying to dishonour you? As they wouldn't care about breaking your provinces, just need to stop you breaking theirs and winning on the attack enough to claim rings.

• Antaiseito likes this

SlaaneshDevotee

SlaaneshDevotee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
It wasn't timed. And I was hovering around 14 honour, so dishonouring me out seems unlikely.

NuFenix

NuFenix

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

I'm curious what their plan was then...

• SlaaneshDevotee likes this

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

As Scorpion, if I have fate on characters and there's a risk of running into Feast or Famine, or if I have an excess of cards and a risk of running into Restoration of Balance, I'll usually play to win rings but not to break, with the idea that the longer things draw out, the more card advantage my stronghold creates. Likewise, it'll often be the case that I'm playing the longer economic game, no matter what clan I play.

It's often good play to play defensively even when windows present themselves.

Having said that I don't know the exact circumstances of your match. It's possible your opponent was just trying to NPE you, but I'd deem it unlikely. More likely they knew their hand and their situation, and were trying to set up a slow economic advantage over several turns of defence. The best way to stop that, in my experience, is to play Lion, as no amount of defensiveness will stop a Lion military attack from connecting.

Grimbo

Grimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
Revisited this pack today and man I cannot wait for Akodo Kage. I absolutely love this card and design. So lion. Gonna be hard to win a military conflict against lion. Earth Ring for days.

SlaaneshDevotee

SlaaneshDevotee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

It happened for the second time. An hour of play, no provinces broken on either side. They were Scorpion and had 10ish conflict cards, about 6 fate, and 6 honour. I had 0 cards, about 3 fate, and about 11 honour. That had been the gamestate since turn two pretty much. Where were heading on to turn seven.

If we use timed games on Jigoku does it use the FFG tiebreakers or just say the game is over?

Why is there no built in end to this game?!

Stefan2581

Stefan2581

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

It happened for the second time. An hour of play, no provinces broken on either side. They were Scorpion and had 10ish conflict cards, about 6 fate, and 6 honour. I had 0 cards, about 3 fate, and about 11 honour. That had been the gamestate since turn two pretty much. Where were heading on to turn seven.

If we use timed games on Jigoku does it use the FFG tiebreakers or just say the game is over?

It is the biggest flaw of the game yet that there is a real difference between timed and untimed games, and that  games still can take ages to finish. 

Let's me appreciate the built in 7 turn max of Conquest. 

Jigoku just tells you that the time is up . 

• Asklepios and SlaaneshDevotee like this

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Totally agree with what you're saying there. Games being too long for tourneys (leading to a distorted meta where slower control decks were undesirable) was definitely a thing in core. Then the game sped up a bit in the last cycle, with stuff like Legion of One adding some pace. Now it's slowing down again, thanks to a plethora of new control options. Jigoku games are regularly going over an hour again, having dropped to about 40 mins in the middle of last cycle.

Right now my two favourite decks are Crab/unicorn and Phoenix/crab builds, both of which play a slow game to build fate, card and board presence advantage, and I don't often see a game with them end within an hour.

Oddly, Scorpion is probably one of the fastest ones to play now, as the race to the bottom in honour tends to end the game on dishonour one way or the other pretty quickly, and Scorpion's defences can also collapse very quickly under concerted attack.

• Stefan2581 likes this

Stefan2581

Stefan2581

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

I would be quite interested in you Crab builds :-)