Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Ruling] The High Sparrow + A Meager Contribution

- - - - -

Best Answer mplain , 31 May 2018 - 06:40 AM

High Sparrow is in play, I collect 7 gold of income, then my opponent collects income. Can I play A Meager Contribution?

Yes. The High Sparrow only prevents you from “gaining” gold, and moving gold from an opponent’s gold pool is considered to be different from “gaining” gold.

However, we just got a ruling in L5R saying that when one player gives/takes resources to/from another player, this qualifies as one player gaining resources and another player losing them. I wonder if L5R and AGOT are mechanically different in that regard?

I’m not intimately familiar with the L5R ruling, but from what you’ve said it sounds like AGOT and L5R are simply different in this regard. In AGOT “moving” and “gaining” are considered to be two different things.

In AGOT there is also the card Riverrun that speficies the difference between characters gaining power, and power being moved to characters, as being different things. We have been operating under the assumption that reactions to a character gaining power do not trigger when power is moved between characters (so when one Edmure Tully triggers, another Edmure cannot steal power from him). Is this correct?

This is correct. Reactions to a card “gaining” power will not trigger if power is “moved” onto that character.

[Danny Schaefer, 30.05.2018]

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1437 posts

The High Sparrow

Each player cannot gain more than 7 gold each round.
Each player cannot draw more than 3 cards each round.

Meager Contribution

Reaction: After an opponent collects income, move 1 gold from that player's gold pool to your own. (Max 1 per round.)

The High Sparrow is in play, I collect 7 gold of income, then my opponent collects income. Can I play A Meager Contribution?

The High Sparrow says players cannot *gain* gold.
A Meager Contribution says *move* gold.

Gaining gold is defined in the RRG as taking gold from the treasury:

- If a player gains gold, the player takes the specified amount of gold from the treasury and adds it to his or her gold pool.

So I would assume that moving gold from one player's gold pool to another's is not considered as gaining gold.

However, we just got a ruling in L5R saying that when one player gives/takes resources to/from another player, this qualifies as one player gaining resources and another player losing them. I wonder if L5R and AGOT are mechanically different in that regard?

In AGOT there is also the card Riverrun that speficies the difference between characters gaining power, and power being moved to characters, as being different things. We have been operating under the assumption that reactions to a character gaining power do not trigger when power is moved between characters (so when one Ser Edmure Tully triggers, another Edmure cannot steal power from him). Is this correct?

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1437 posts
✓  Best Answer

High Sparrow is in play, I collect 7 gold of income, then my opponent collects income. Can I play A Meager Contribution?

Yes. The High Sparrow only prevents you from “gaining” gold, and moving gold from an opponent’s gold pool is considered to be different from “gaining” gold.

I’m not intimately familiar with the L5R ruling, but from what you’ve said it sounds like AGOT and L5R are simply different in this regard. In AGOT “moving” and “gaining” are considered to be two different things.

In AGOT there is also the card Riverrun that speficies the difference between characters gaining power, and power being moved to characters, as being different things. We have been operating under the assumption that reactions to a character gaining power do not trigger when power is moved between characters (so when one Edmure Tully triggers, another Edmure cannot steal power from him). Is this correct?

This is correct. Reactions to a card “gaining” power will not trigger if power is “moved” onto that character.

[Danny Schaefer, 30.05.2018]