Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Ruling] Shadows

- - - - -

Best Answer mplain , 07 June 2018 - 06:12 PM

1) Can I marshal a unique character into shadows if another copy of that character is in my dead pile?

1) Yes.

2) Can I marshal a character into shadows if I've played The Iron Bank Will Have Its Due to return that character to hand earlier this round? If yes, I assume I cannot bring it out of shadows this round?
(Iron Bank says: "Until the end of the round, you cannot marshal or put into play any card with the same title as that character.")

2) Yes, you can marshal it into shadows. No, you cannot bring it out of shadows (this round).

3) Can I marshal locations and attachments into shadows while I have Marching Orders revealed? Can I bring events out of shadows?
(Marching Orders says: "You cannot marshal locations or attachments, or play events.")

3) Yes, you can marshal locations and attachments into shadows. No, you cannot bring events out of shadows—playing an event from shadows is subject to the same restriction as playing an event from hand.

4) Can an card with a dash ("-") cost be canceled by the Hand's Judgment for 0 gold?

4) Yes. The Hand’s Judgment has a cost of X, where X is defined as the printed cost of the event being canceled. If THJ is used to cancel a “—“ event, which has no printed cost, that X will be undefined. An undefined X value defaults to 0, therefore THJ can be played for 0 gold.

5) Would a card with a dash ("-") cost qualify as "a card with printed cost 3 or lower")?

5) No. A card with a “—“ has no printed cost, and will never qualify as a card with “printed cost X or lower” or “printed cost X or higher.

6) If I trigger Nighttime Marauders and choose a card with a dash ("-") cost, what cards can I discard from the opponent's hand? With printed cost 0 and X, with printed cost "-", or none at all?
(Nighttime Marauders says: "Reaction: After Nighttime Marauders comes out of shadows, choose a card in an opponent's discard pile. That player reveals his or her hand and discards from it each card with the same printed cost as the chosen card.")

6) None at all. The chosen card has no printed cost, meaning that no cards will have the “same printed cost” as it.

7) The rules for Shadows say: "Marshaling a card into shadows is not considered to be marshaling a card with any of that card's characteristics; it is only considered to be "marshaling a card into shadows." "
The rules for Duplicates say: "Marshaling a duplicate is not considered marshaling a card of the duplicate's printed type. It is only considered "marshaling a duplicate card." "

Nate French has previously ruled that you cannot marshal a duplicate on a unique character if there's another copy of that character in your dead pile. He also ruled that you cannot marshal a duplicate on a unique Limited location if you've marshaled or played another limited card earlier this round.

The rules for Shadows and Duplicates seem to be worded almost identically. Should we expect to get similar rulings for Shadows? Or is there some subtle difference I'm missing? Or maybe, just maybe, Nate's rulings on marshaling duplicates should be revised?...

7) The shadows rules were intentionally made more expansive than the duplicate rules, referring to all of the card's characteristics rather than just its printed type. These characteristics include whether a card is unique or limited, which is why those rulings differ from the rulings on duplicates.

[Danny Schaefer, 07.06.2018] Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

1) Can I marshal a unique character into shadows if another copy of that character is in my dead pile?

2) Can I marshal a character into shadows if I've played The Iron Bank Will Have Its Due to return that character to hand earlier this round? If yes, I assume I cannot bring it out of shadows this round?
(Iron Bank says: "Until the end of the round, you cannot marshal or put into play any card with the same title as that character.")

3) Can I marshal locations and attachments into shadows while I have Marching Orders revealed? Can I bring events out of shadows?
(Marching Orders says: "You cannot marshal locations or attachments, or play events.")

4) Can an card with a dash ("-") cost be canceled by the Hand's Judgment for 0 gold?

5) Would a card with a dash ("-") cost qualify as "a card with printed cost 3 or lower")?

6) If I trigger Nighttime Marauders and choose a card with a dash ("-") cost, what cards can I discard from the opponent's hand? With printed cost 0 and X, with printed cost "-", or none at all?
(Nighttime Marauders says: "Reaction: After Nighttime Marauders comes out of shadows, choose a card in an opponent's discard pile. That player reveals his or her hand and discards from it each card with the same printed cost as the chosen card.")

7) The rules for Shadows say: "Marshaling a card into shadows is not considered to be marshaling a card with any of that card's characteristics; it is only considered to be "marshaling a card into shadows." "
The rules for Duplicates say: "Marshaling a duplicate is not considered marshaling a card of the duplicate's printed type. It is only considered "marshaling a duplicate card." "

Nate French has previously ruled that you cannot marshal a duplicate on a unique character if there's another copy of that character in your dead pile. He also ruled that you cannot marshal a duplicate on a unique Limited location if you've marshaled or played another limited card earlier this round.

The rules for Shadows and Duplicates seem to be worded almost identically. Should we expect to get similar rulings for Shadows? Or is there some subtle difference I'm missing? Or maybe, just maybe, Nate's rulings on marshaling duplicates should be revised?...

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1412 posts
✓  Best Answer

1) Yes.

2) Yes, you can marshal it into shadows. No, you cannot bring it out of shadows (this round).

3) Yes, you can marshal locations and attachments into shadows. No, you cannot bring events out of shadows—playing an event from shadows is subject to the same restriction as playing an event from hand.

4) Yes. The Hand’s Judgment has a cost of X, where X is defined as the printed cost of the event being canceled. If THJ is used to cancel a “—“ event, which has no printed cost, that X will be undefined. An undefined X value defaults to 0, therefore THJ can be played for 0 gold.

5) No. A card with a “—“ has no printed cost, and will never qualify as a card with “printed cost X or lower” or “printed cost X or higher.

6) None at all. The chosen card has no printed cost, meaning that no cards will have the “same printed cost” as it.

7) The shadows rules were intentionally made more expansive than the duplicate rules, referring to all of the card's characteristics rather than just its printed type. These characteristics include whether a card is unique or limited, which is why those rulings differ from the rulings on duplicates.

[Danny Schaefer, 07.06.2018]
  • ystros likes this