Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Ruling] "Steel Rain" / Trading with Qohor ("different")

- - - - -

Best Answer mplain , 12 July 2018 - 06:48 AM

What does "different" mean on "Steel Rain" and Trading with Qohor? Different title? Or would a different version of a card with the same title work? (like different versions of Harrenhal or The Wall).
If "different" means a different title, then what about Direwolf attachments (e.g. Lady) - they say "attach to a different character", does that mean I cannot reattach it from one Winterfell Steward to another Winterfell Steward? Or does "different" mean different things when it references cards in play and cards out of play?

For these cards, different means “by title.” For the purposes of such abilities, one card is distinguished from another by the standard way the game observes and tracks cards. For cards in play, the game tracks each copy of a card separately, so the Direwolf attachment can be moved from a character to another character with the same title. For out of play cards, individual copies are not tracked, so the game differentiates them by title.

On "Steel Rain", what exactly does "different" refer to? Attachments you search for must be different from each other, or different from the attachments you sacrificed?
If I sacrifice Raiding Longship and Old Wyk, can I search for 2x Iron Mines? Can I search for Old Wyk and Raiding Longship?

For each location you sacrifice, you must search for a location that is different than that sacrificed location (and has equal or lower cost). This location need not be different from any of the other searched-for locations, nor does it need to be different from any of the other sacrificed locations. So, in your example, you could sacrifice a Raiding Longship to search for an Iron Mine and Old Wyk to search for another Iron Mine. You could also (if you already have a Raiding Longship and Old Wyk in play) sacrifice Raiding Longship to search for Old Wyk and Old Wyk to search for Raiding Longship. (If you’re sacrificing multiple locations with the same cost, it’s fairly easy to get around the “different” restriction.)

[Danny Schaefer, 12.07.2018]

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

What does "different" mean on "Steel Rain" and Trading with Qohor? Different title? Or would a different version of a card with the same title work? (like different versions of Harrenhal or The Wall).
If "different" means a different title, then what about Direwolf attachments (e.g. Lady) - they say "attach to a different character", does that mean I cannot reattach it from one Winterfell Steward to another Winterfell Steward? Or does "different" mean different things when it references cards in play and cards out of play?

On "Steel Rain", what exactly does "different" refer to? Attachments you search for must be different from each other, or different from the attachments you sacrificed?
If I sacrifice Raiding Longship and Old Wyk, can I search for 2x Iron Mines? Can I search for Old Wyk and Raiding Longship?

"Steel Rain"

Shadow (2).
Action: Sacrifice any number of locations. For each location sacrificed, search your deck for a different location with equal or lower printed cost and put it into play. Shuffle your deck.

Trading With Qohor

While you control no attachments, increase the gold value on each opponent’s revealed plot card by 1.
Reaction: After claim is applied for a challenge you won, sacrifice an attachment to search your deck for a different attachment with equal or lower printed cost and put it into play.

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1412 posts
✓  Best Answer

For these cards, different means “by title.” For the purposes of such abilities, one card is distinguished from another by the standard way the game observes and tracks cards. For cards in play, the game tracks each copy of a card separately, so the Direwolf attachment can be moved from a character to another character with the same title. For out of play cards, individual copies are not tracked, so the game differentiates them by title.

For each location you sacrifice, you must search for a location that is different than that sacrificed location (and has equal or lower cost). This location need not be different from any of the other searched-for locations, nor does it need to be different from any of the other sacrificed locations. So, in your example, you could sacrifice a Raiding Longship to search for an Iron Mine and Old Wyk to search for another Iron Mine. You could also (if you already have a Raiding Longship and Old Wyk in play) sacrifice Raiding Longship to search for Old Wyk and Old Wyk to search for Raiding Longship. (If you’re sacrificing multiple locations with the same cost, it’s fairly easy to get around the “different” restriction.)

[Danny Schaefer, 12.07.2018]