Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

So did the Elemental cycle fix Unicorn?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Skaak

Skaak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

FFG was making rumblings like this cycle is supposed to help redress the issues with Unicorn (in their "state of L5R" post, if memory serves).

So did that pan out? Asking for a friend. I certainly would never play Unicorn myself. Pfff, silly purple ponies.

• Caldera likes this

Grimbo

Grimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Unicorn got a ton of nice cards. I would say they are fixed to some degree. 

I know I'll get some flak, but I think FAR AND AWAY the best card they got was:

Master of the Swift Waves

Already the 2nd best Unicorn personaility(still behind Juro imho).

But really they got all sorts of goodies, shugenja, aggressive stronghold, etc. Much more fun to play then before.

• Caldera and Skyknight like this

Caldera

Caldera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
I’m currently working on a Crane deck while I wait for the final packs to arrive as well as the new roles to be announced, upon which i’ll be returning my focus to Unicorn (figured I may as well drive a Porsche while I wait for the spare parts to fix my rusty old Skoda....).

I’d agree with Grimbo that Master of the Swift Waves is by far the standout Unicorn card from packs 1-4 at least, although Invocation of Ash is also pretty decent. Other cards haven’t worked for me this cycle: Shono is decent if the circumstances are right, but feels like an ‘old stronghold’ Lion card that’s wandered into Unicorn by mistake. The new Province is very poor compared to the stuff that other clans are getting, and Shono Encampment is amazing on paper but in practice is not so great: Weak in the early game and unlikely to last more than a turn in late game, and try claiming a Mil ring when playing against Phoenix.... I mean, if Border Fortress had Shono Encampment’s ability then that would have been a far better proposition.

Depending on who I talk to/read, the new Stronghold is either going to propel them up to top tier or won’t make the slightest bit of difference.

That being said, I think the new Stronghold will be fun to experiment with, and the emerging Shugenja build looks interesting. Meanwhile Shahai is the closest we’ve come yet to getting “our version of Kaiu Shuichi” who is probably still the best 4-cost Unique in the game.

Personally I think the biggest deciding factor will be the role we get next. We are stuck with quite possibly the worst role at the moment (Keeper of Void). If we get a Water role then that turns on Press of Battle, Fight On, new Mantis Water Shugenja etc. Air would also open up decent new splash options (Soul Beyond Reproach; Mark of Shame). Fire would open up Unleash the Djinn (hello honour-loss!) and Feast or Famine, but for me it’s gotta be Water or Air.
  • SlaaneshDevotee and Skyknight like this

Ignithas

Ignithas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Unicorn isn't trash tier anymore, so it certainly fixed that. Top Tier is currently Scorpion and Dragon and I don't think that Unicorn will be as strong as them.

Stefan2581

Stefan2581

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

I think they fixed Dragon instead this cycle. (as if they needed fixing in the first place)

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

I think it did, yea.

Severijn

Severijn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

I haven't seen the new stronghold in action, or the new regulars, but it sure looks like they got a bunch of high quality characters (Shono, Shahai, Master of swift waves), even some of their lesser characters look like they could fit in a deck somewhere, like the 0 coster. Their conflict deck received also got a couple of quality cards, as did the provinces and obviously the stronghold (though I bet they'll miss the ability of the old stronghold). 

They have caught up with the other factions. 

OutOfFactionWarlord

OutOfFactionWarlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Nobody mentioned Encampment?  Combo with movement effects and Captive Audience, you have a permanent fixture that stands a character every turn for free...

• DrDuckieBug likes this

Skaak

Skaak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

That's very good to hear! Looks like I'll have to grab the cycle and see if I can't get back into the game.

• Caldera likes this

Caldera

Caldera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Nobody mentioned Encampment?  Combo with movement effects and Captive Audience, you have a permanent fixture that stands a character every turn for free...

Strange as it may sound, I’ve not been able to get Encampment to work as well as it ought to. Despite running 3-copies I seem to be jinxed whereby I draw a copy turn 1 or 2 and then never seem to draw it again (or if I do then I inevitably flip it on a broken province). Opponents always prioritise it as a target province for attacking in order to get rid of it, so it rarely stays around for long. Maybe i should try Crab splash for Rebuild...

Caldera

Caldera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
...although I did once trigger my Yurt in a final attack on their Stronghold and then immediately drew into Encampment, thus readying and moving in an honoured Yumino.

Ah good old Golden Plains Outpost...
  • SlaaneshDevotee and Severijn like this

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Unicorn are on the up!

Let's have a look at the Toshi Ranbo Season Favor Points...

https://www.fantasyf...mperial-decree/

Hmm, there only appear to be six sections to that pie chart...

• Caldera and Severijn like this

Grimbo

Grimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
Sure but the number of tournaments where their new key cards were out were what, 2-3?

Skaak

Skaak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Per the link from Asklepios, what the heck is up with Unicorn being literally the only clan who only has access to Keeper roles? Is there a story there? Maybe one where having access to only half of our available role-based cards seemed like a good idea to someone?

Just when I'm getting encouraged that Unicorn might still be worth playing, FFG comes along and throws salt in my unclosed wounds.

stevecat

stevecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Per the link from Asklepios, what the heck is up with Unicorn being literally the only clan who only has access to Keeper roles? Is there a story there? Maybe one where having access to only half of our available role-based cards seemed like a good idea to someone?

Just when I'm getting encouraged that Unicorn might still be worth playing, FFG comes along and throws salt in my unclosed wounds.

My guess would be they wanted the fire role, and keeper of fire is super strong for Unicorn because they can talisman into FoF. Seeker of Fire wouldn't get that combo.

• Khudzlin and Grimbo like this

Severijn

Severijn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Well, I don't think Unicorn wants a seeker role necessarily. Don't you want 3 keepers in your decklist? Don't you want the talisman?

It was a pity that a lot of the cool toys for unicorn are in the final pack.

Overall, I think they'll be performing way better now that they have the regulars, the new stronghold and access to unleash the djinn.

• Caldera and Grimbo like this

Skaak

Skaak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Well, I don't think Unicorn wants a seeker role necessarily. Don't you want 3 keepers in your decklist? Don't you want the talisman?

Sure, I want to use Talisman. And maybe the two Keeper roles are strictly better (I haven't bothered to actually look at Unicorn's Seeker cards since...well, ever; we've never had a Seeker role). But one of the things I hate about the assigned role mechanic is that it artificially gates me off from part of my card collection for no good reason and locks me into a specific deckshape (want to play around with double province types instead of higher influence? Have fun playing another clan, then). And at this point, every single faction can choose between a Keeper and a Seeker role except Unicorn. Which yanks my chain.

• Khudzlin, Asklepios, Caldera and 1 other like this

Grimbo

Grimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
Well if memory serves we all get a new role in November after worlds as the first role rotates out so, just 3 months of being seeker less.

At least I think that is how it goes but I may have made that up.

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1241 posts

Sure, I want to use Talisman. And maybe the two Keeper roles are strictly better (I haven't bothered to actually look at Unicorn's Seeker cards since...well, ever; we've never had a Seeker role). But one of the things I hate about the assigned role mechanic is that it artificially gates me off from part of my card collection for no good reason and locks me into a specific deckshape (want to play around with double province types instead of higher influence? Have fun playing another clan, then). And at this point, every single faction can choose between a Keeper and a Seeker role except Unicorn. Which yanks my chain.

Keeper of Fire is one of the best elemental roles in the game right now; it doesn't matter if they have two Keeper roles because Unicorn is going to become a beast. Ask Crab how they felt about their new role. 

• Stefan2581 likes this

Caldera

Caldera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

If it’s any consolation, I voted for Seeker of Void for Unicorn this year. Then when it looked like we were getting Seeker of Fire or Seeker of Water I pledged my support for the latter - with Keeper of Water as my second option.

I agree that not having access to a Seeker role is rather restrictive. However I think the idea at Gencon given that we had first pick was to safeguard a Keeper role for the next 8 months, which I can understand. I just wish it had been Water not Fire.

Personally as an occasional Crab player too i think Seeker of Earth is a great role for Crab. In fact I think every Clan has done well out of this apart from Dragon (Keeper of Void....why?!). The problem is though that I think Unicorn feel they’ve struck gold with Keeper of Fire when really we should have been looking to strike Platinum. Is having access to Feast of Famine going to be enough of a boost given that Meditations was already our second-strongest Province when combined with Talisman?