Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Joe From Cincinnati Gencon Report

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts
Everyone else is doing it, so I may as well do it too. Here’s my Gencon Tournament report. I also tacked onto the back of it my current opinions/evaluations of the cards that Crab got in the second cycle. Let me know what you think in the comments below! It was a great weekend :D

Also, I stole the featured Image from Lucas Wu-Fienberg. But he was okay with it :)

• Ignithas, Stefan2581 and Skyknight like this

Grimbo

Grimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
Good read Joe. Thanks, as always. Lol'd at the Lion/Crana game!
  • JoeFromCincinnati likes this

SlaaneshDevotee

SlaaneshDevotee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

About to read it, but thanks for putting out reports and ideas into websites and forums, I for one appreciate it!

• Stefan2581 and JoeFromCincinnati like this

Severijn

Severijn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Good read. I think you could have fixed your Satoshi/hida guardian play after the fact by buying Satoshi without fate and risking the 50/50 for flipping the second Satoshi. If you don't flip him, you at least have one of the two power holdings that will help you throughout the game, or you could have played a reprieve to save him. It's a little sketchy, but so is just hoping that they don't have it. Assassinate and way of the crab are always drawn in pairs. :)

The assessment of the new crab cards looks spot on to me. I have been playing Fight On in Phoenix splashing Crab and it has been amazing, especially since it allowed me to cut down on favorable grounds for my better in-clan holdings.

The kuni laboratory is also super strong. I have played games against that. Two-strength keeper initiates are a dramatic improvement. Even with bustling academy, it was a struggle to keep afloat against that. It might have helped that my opponent also had tainted hero to keep recycling keeper initiates. The gravy train keeps on coming. 

Spreading the darkness does not sound like a banzai replacement to me, but more as a banzai that you can throw with a banzai. I could see a spot to run a single one, but on the other hand, it's not like crab has trouble winning military conflicts.

Any thoughts on the new seeker of earth role? Will we finally get to see Guardians of the Seikitsu? 

• Ignithas and JoeFromCincinnati like this

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

Good read. I think you could have fixed your Satoshi/hida guardian play after the fact by buying Satoshi without fate and risking the 50/50 for flipping the second Satoshi. If you don't flip him, you at least have one of the two power holdings that will help you throughout the game, or you could have played a reprieve to save him. It's a little sketchy, but so is just hoping that they don't have it. Assassinate and way of the crab are always drawn in pairs. :)

The assessment of the new crab cards looks spot on to me. I have been playing Fight On in Phoenix splashing Crab and it has been amazing, especially since it allowed me to cut down on favorable grounds for my better in-clan holdings.

The kuni laboratory is also super strong. I have played games against that. Two-strength keeper initiates are a dramatic improvement. Even with bustling academy, it was a struggle to keep afloat against that. It might have helped that my opponent also had tainted hero to keep recycling keeper initiates. The gravy train keeps on coming. 

Spreading the darkness does not sound like a banzai replacement to me, but more as a banzai that you can throw with a banzai. I could see a spot to run a single one, but on the other hand, it's not like crab has trouble winning military conflicts.

Any thoughts on the new seeker of earth role? Will we finally get to see Guardians of the Seikitsu? 

Yea, I messed that last game up for sure. After that mistake, I probably should have done no fate Satoshi, just to guarantee I had a fate (especially since I had a 50% chance of getting a dupe, like you said). But then I'm open to void ring and it just gets hairy from there. But it's over :). I wouldn't have beaten Aneil anyway ^^

As for Seeker of Earth, The simple fact is we got our 3rd choice, which means the decision was made by, possibly, 1% to 5% of the total votes.

That's not a great way to determine something that affects the entire player base for 8 months, but it is what it is. Hopefully, if they ever do something like this again, they will take top 2 or top 3 choices rather than just the #1 role. Because you can bet that the Crab players that voted Seeker of Void or Keeper of Fire would have had an opinion on what their 2nd/3rd choice would be that would not have been Seeker of Earth.

A top 1 vote selection makes sense when you get the role that has the most votes. In a tiered system based on a ranking order that is not determined until most of the votes are already cast is not a great way of doing it and, unfortunately, Crab got ****** because of it.

Luckily, we get a new role at Worlds. Ideally it'll be a Keeper Role and then we can just play that role and pretend the Seeker of Earth role never even existed. Because it essentially doesn't.

• Stefan2581 and Severijn like this

OutOfFactionWarlord

OutOfFactionWarlord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

A top 1 vote selection makes sense when you get the role that has the most votes. In a tiered system based on a ranking order that is not determined until most of the votes are already cast is not a great way of doing it and, unfortunately, Crab got ****** because of it.

Playing Upholding Authority _and_ Defend the Wall, while collecting fate when either is revealed isn't terribly bad.  The biggest problem is there's no 3-coster to replace Crisis Breaker coupled with a lack of impactful lasting abilities on other dynasty characters to make up the difference, that's probably what's going to hold the deck back the most.

Maybe the Scorpion pack will have a crab 3-cost with a stand effect that isn't keeper-locked.  Otherwise, yeah the roll is pretty sub-par until possibly the next cycle.