Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Loyal, Non-Loyal, in-faction, out-of-faction, and Neutral

- - - - -

Best Answer mplain , 06 September 2018 - 09:07 AM

There are two separate characteristics: faction affiliation, and loyalty. These are independent from one another.

A card might have one or more faction affiliations (up to 8 different ones).

If a card's affiliation matches that of your faction card, it is called an in-faction card.

If a card's affiliation does not match that of your faction card, it is called an out-of-faction card.

If a card does not have any faction affiliations, it is called a neutral card.

A card might be loyal. If it is not loyal, it is called a non-loyal card.

A card might have any combination of these two characteristics. Although there are no printed neutral loyal cards, technically a card can be neutral and loyal (e.g. if you play I Am No One on a loyal character). A card can also be out-of-faction and loyal (e.g. if you take control of your opponent's loyal card). Certain RRG entries were worded without accounting for these more complex interactions.

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

RedAngelofPeace

RedAngelofPeace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Hello,

According to the Rules Reference Guide on page 8

"The faction card signals which faction a player has chosen as the primary faction for his or her deck. An in-faction card bears the loyal or non-loyal faction symbol that matches the affiliation indicated by his or her faction card. For faction card anatomy, see Appendix II"

This is further explained in two additional sections within the RRG:

1) page 12: "Loyalty is a deckbuilding restriction that limits which cards can be used out-of-faction. A card is loyal to its faction if it has a scroll of parchment below its shield. A loyal card’s affiliation must match the affiliation of a deck’s faction card in order to be included in the deck. Certain card abilities (such as the Banner agenda cards) permit players to use non-loyal cards out-of-faction in a deck."

2) page 14: "Some cards are not affiliated with any faction; these cards are neutral. Any deck may include neutral cards. xNeutral cards are not considered to be in-faction or out-of-faction."

The understanding that I get from reading the above passages is that cards in a deck can be in-faction loyal, in-faction non-loyal, out-of-faction non-loyal, and neutral.

From this understanding can I safely assume that cards come in three flavors, 1) Loyal, 2) Non-loyal, 3) Neutral?

Thank you in advance! 

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts
✓  Best Answer

There are two separate characteristics: faction affiliation, and loyalty. These are independent from one another.

A card might have one or more faction affiliations (up to 8 different ones).

If a card's affiliation matches that of your faction card, it is called an in-faction card.

If a card's affiliation does not match that of your faction card, it is called an out-of-faction card.

If a card does not have any faction affiliations, it is called a neutral card.

A card might be loyal. If it is not loyal, it is called a non-loyal card.

A card might have any combination of these two characteristics. Although there are no printed neutral loyal cards, technically a card can be neutral and loyal (e.g. if you play I Am No One on a loyal character). A card can also be out-of-faction and loyal (e.g. if you take control of your opponent's loyal card). Certain RRG entries were worded without accounting for these more complex interactions.

• ystros likes this

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts

If you are not satisfied with this answer, I suggest you ask FFG directly: https://www.fantasyf.../contact/rules/

RedAngelofPeace

RedAngelofPeace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

If you are not satisfied with this answer, I suggest you ask FFG directly: https://www.fantasyf.../contact/rules/

Hi mplain.  I know we are discussing this same topic elsewhere, but I've already submitted the question to ffg directly through that form.  I know we get rules clarifications here on this forum from ffg designers and I don't think this should be treated any differently.  The community doesn't have the required information to reach a consensus.

FedericoFasullo

FedericoFasullo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1056 posts

I have no single evidence of designers coming here and answer stuff. I really don't know what you are talking about, dude.

RedAngelofPeace

RedAngelofPeace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

I have no single evidence of designers coming here and answer stuff. I really don't know what you are talking about, dude.

alright, maybe I misunderstood.  What are all the rulings posted with Danny's signaure and timestamp?

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts
I ask questions via email and post the answers here. This is an archive.

RedAngelofPeace

RedAngelofPeace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Hey,

I received this reponse from Daniel Schaefer.

"A neutral card is a card that is not affiliated with any faction. Normally, neutral cards are non-loyal. However, it is possible through certain card interactions for there to be a loyal neutral card—for instance, if an ability causes a loyal card to lose all faction affiliations."

Re: Fantasy Flight Games [Rules Questions] - A Game of Thrones: The Card Game Second Edition: 2018-09-05 15:26:23